Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Re: Using covers for travel trailers?

We have recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Jay Feather 17Z Ultra Lite. This is our first winter that we have had it. I have been advised to purchase a cover as it will be outside. First, what are the thoughts of doing this? I would like some guidance on types of covers to look at that could withstand the elements.
Thanks!
Kywomanmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

This might help:

Selecting the Best RV Covers - Read This Before Buying One

(Thanks kketchmark!)

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

I have a lot of wind where we live, I think the cover movement would cause my TT more harm than good.

Next year I'll be looking for indoor winter storage.

Would really like to put up a aluminum trailer port to get it out of UV year round. Hope to do this in the next 2 years.
Equal-i-zer 1.2K/12K
Jay Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

Not covering this year

I've covered my TT for the first couple of years. This year I am not. Let me explain. We keep our TT stored in a U-store-it sort of place. I like it and the owner gives me a decent deal. But it is out in the boonies and there are mice out there. Lots of them. Last year I got 5 of them but they still managed to make a nest with some papers that were left in the trailer. I tried to figure out where they got in and really struggled. Finally, I figured out they climbed between the cover and the side of the trailer and made it into the fridge vent. From there, they chewed through the foam and made it inside the trailer. Darn little buggers! I've got an attack plan for these little rodents this year. Look out!!
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

have never covered our trailers, sits in my driveway all year when not going camping. drive around a look at dealers, how many have their campers covered??
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
have never covered our trailers, sits in my driveway all year when not going camping. drive around a look at dealers, how many have their campers covered??
Dealers don't keep campers as long as you do!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

I bought a cover for the pop-up we bought new in '93. It ripped apart and almost blew away during the first winter. I have not covered any trailer since. About the only benefit I can see to a cover is keeping the decals from fading, or at least delaying the effect.

What I've been doing since we bought our first hybrid in '03 is covering the AC and the wheels. Aside from some fading of decals on our '03 hybrid it looked like when we traded it after 10 years.

Just keep it waxed.

There are lots of trailers and motor homes in my sub-division. Not one has a cover.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I bought a cover for the pop-up we bought new in '93. It ripped apart and almost blew away during the first winter. I have not covered any trailer since. About the only benefit I can see to a cover is keeping the decals from fading, or at least delaying the effect.

What I've been doing since we bought our first hybrid in '03 is covering the AC and the wheels. Aside from some fading of decals on our '03 hybrid it looked like when we traded it after 10 years.

Just keep it waxed.

There are lots of trailers and motor homes in my sub-division. Not one has a cover.
That's all I'm doing this year too. AC and wheels and in my case, I don't think covering the wheels does a whole lot... I have other trailers within 3 feet of either side of me, so my wheels are in the shade all day.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Site Team

To cover or not to cover poll and discussion:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-15377.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
That's all I'm doing this year too. AC and wheels and in my case, I don't think covering the wheels does a whole lot... I have other trailers within 3 feet of either side of me, so my wheels are in the shade all day.
I cover the wheels more to minimize rust on the wheels than to protect the tires.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #11

For those of us storing our RV's outdoors in the Northeast. Subjecting all the seams to not only bitter cold temperatures, wind, rain and snow. Also ice!

The expansion of ice when water gets into all the little cracks and imperfections around an RV cause all kinds of problems.

Where I live, Winter is mostly above freezing temps during the day with below freezing at night. A layer of snow provides plenty of water.

My TT gets covered. $250 every two years to protect a $15K toy is well worth it!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #12

This will be my first winter to store the TT. My wife wants to make some winter trips to warmer temps so will have to really plan my winterizing time frames. After reading the posts here and looking at the costs and life expectancy of covers I've decided to not cover ours but do plan to look into an AC cover and some vent covers. I may change my mind when I see it covered in snow and ice for a couple of days. There are lots of RVs and trailers where I store mine and I see only a few with covers so net, not that many people cover them. I have been told they are designed to not need to be covered as long as they are checked and maintained. This seems to be one of those gas vs diesel, leave your frig on or off while driving kind of topics - no firm yes or no answer, it depends and is a preference.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote