Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

Rear Bedroom Slide Problem

We purchased our X213 in December and are currently traveling cross country, San Diego to Florida, we’ve been on the road for about 3 weeks. About a week ago, we stopped for the night and discovered that the rear slide on our unit would only go out about 8 inches. Upon examination, we discovered that the motor for the slide (underneath the bed) had completely dropped off the rear wall where it had been secured by four screws. We slept on it the way it was and drove an hour the next morning to the nearest Jayco dealer in Lacombe, LA. The dealer informed us that they would not be able to work on it for at least three days but perhaps Jayco would authorize a repair by an independent mobile repairman via the phone.
My husband called Jayco and discovered that our unit was not covered by the infamous 2 yr warranty since we had registered it in the name of our business for tax purposes (our bad, but would have been nice to have a heads up on that from the dealership). We returned to New Orleans and were able to get a mobile repair guy to come that afternoon. He first reattached the motor to the wall with the equivalent screws that it had been mounted with previously. We ran it in and out a few times and it didn’t stay so he used slightly larger and longer screws. We’ve extended the slide about 5-6 times since then and can now see that at least one of the screws is loose again so the others are likely not far behind.
My husband thinks that the screws will ultimately need to pierce the skin of the unit to solve the problem permanently but I’m hoping someone here has another suggestion. I find it hard to believe that we are the first ones that this has happened to, especially since we’ve had it only a few months. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
Quidort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #2

I might try these ( shorter length of course) and you should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
D6756574-9D6D-4785-A951-3E9ADC9B684C.jpg  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Our experience with Jayco warranty which took us about 2 1/2 years to complete. Is nice guys finish last with Jayco! Good Luck
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:59 AM   #4

We're having this exact same problem right now. We just picked up our new x213 Thursday . I've only ran the slide about 2 times. The motor hasn't fully dropped off the wall yet but it is very close I think there is maybe 1 or 2 self tapping screws holding it up. I'm gonna reccomend to my jayco dealer that they mount a 1 or 2 ft long piece of plywood to the back wall and then remount the slide motor to that. That will allow the motor mounting hardware to actually hold on to something significant rather then them running slightly larger screws into the wall. Poor design choice I'd say. We will see what their fix will be..please keep me posted as to how yours is holding up..
brewcrew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidort View Post
My husband called Jayco and discovered that our unit was not covered by the infamous 2 yr warranty since we had registered it in the name of our business for tax purposes (our bad, but would have been nice to have a heads up on that from the dealership).
I'd be having a long talk with the Dealership owner and his finance office. That disclaimer has been in the warranty for decades.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #6

So far it is still attached, though the mount is no longer flush with the wall. My husband wants to pierce the skin of the coach with carriage bolts and caulk to seal but I really don't like that idea. He says it's inevitable.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #7

So far it is still attached, though the mount is no longer flush with the wall. My husband wants to run carriage bolts through from the outside and seal with caulk but I really don't like that idea. He says it's going to fall off again eventually and that will be the only solution. Please let me know how things work out with your dealer.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
Site Team

How about a metal plate attached to the wall and the motor attached to it?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #9

I fixed mine last night I couldn't help myself. What I did was take a 1 inch stainless sheet metal screw without the self tapping end on it. I figured the hole is already there no need for the self tapping part. The. Threads are larger and more spaced out on the new screws. So far they snugged right up. I ran the slide in and out a few times and seems to be holding up very well. We will see what the future brings
Old 04-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

Ok, but how do you mount the metal plate? Still has to go through to the outside, doesn't it?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #11

Hollow wall screws like @Tunce_the_traveler shows above, or @brewcrew22's idea of mounting a plywood panel to the back wall.

I would use a very good quality construction adhesive (PL Premium or similar) and a few hollow-wall screws to mount the plywood panel, and then screw the motor to that mount. Note that the extra thickness of the mount will likely require you to adjust the slide mechanism to compensate.

That would not require you to put a hole through your outer skin and should distribute the forces much more evenly.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into it.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidort View Post
Ok, but how do you mount the metal plate? Still has to go through to the outside, doesn't it?
More screws thru to the wood.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #14

Another question I have does your rear slide seem to sag or droop down in the back almost like it's out of level? I seems to droop down in the rear end it seems to be about an inch to an inch and a half out of level I'm just wondering if this is normal or if this means my slide is out of whack. it's weird because I see a lot of pictures online of this camper and some of them it seems as though the slide is drooping and some it seems like the slide is fine.