Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #1

Rear bumper receiver

Jayfeather 2018 22rb and we want to utilize the rear bumper for mounting a 2" receiver for multiple uses but mainly to mount one of the small inverter gennys closet to the 30a plug. Thus the reciever would be close to the frame to bumper union. Ours is the 4" square continuous welded but bolted (an off round bolt that confused me when taking a picture) to the trailer frame. After doing quite a bit of reading and searching I found the brackets to add additional support to the bumper to strengthen it but wanted to see if anyone has done this on this type of bumper yet. I've seen threads on the welded bumpers to frame.

Thoughts?
rbreding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
After doing quite a bit of reading and searching I found the brackets to add additional support to the bumper to strengthen it but wanted to see if anyone has done this on this type of bumper yet. I've seen threads on the welded bumpers to frame.

Thoughts?

I would not hang anything like that off the back of my camper, even if I had a proper receiver system welded to structural supports under the camper. I've had stuff inside, in the back of the camper, get launched pretty far when traveling over dips in the road.

IMHO, that location is the end of a huge lever and has lots of force applied. I won't mount anything back there. Get one of these and mount your genny above propane tanks on the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180713_174030.jpg  
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

For the gen I was looking at something like this that would lock it down (this will not fly off):

Complete LowPro LockDown system for Yamaha EF2400is (blue/black)

With the gen on the back drivers side using a super short cord I wanted to be able to run the gen during the last hour or so of the drive to cool down the trailer on the way to the site. That location would also double as secure storage for the gen while at the site also. I understand your weight concern and if the trailer got squirelly then I just won't drive with it back there but I like the option of short cord even at the site.

With the A frame mounting location for the gen if I wanted to run the gen while driving I would need to be able to secure the cord somehow (30a plug is driver side rear) all the way up to the A frame location.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
For the gen I was looking at something like this that would lock it down (this will not fly off):

Complete LowPro LockDown system for Yamaha EF2400is (blue/black)

With the gen on the back drivers side using a super short cord I wanted to be able to run the gen during the last hour or so of the drive to cool down the trailer on the way to the site. That location would also double as secure storage for the gen while at the site also. I understand your weight concern and if the trailer got squirelly then I just won't drive with it back there but I like the option of short cord even at the site.

With the A frame mounting location for the gen if I wanted to run the gen while driving I would need to be able to secure the cord somehow (30a plug is driver side rear) all the way up to the A frame location.
I believe the post from nevermind, was the concern that the WHOLE bumper, or the brackets attached to it, could fail; just not toss the generator off. Of course if you aren't traveling, then the loads on the bumper and brackets are MUCH less and it could hold the generator when stopped - of course the ground could hold the generator, then, too.

Another thing to check out is the output of the generator you are considering and what your air conditioner needs to run.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #5

Thanks, I took it as that also and that was more of my primary concern regarding the load bearing of that bumper and other conversations I had seen. The primary difference in those threads was the bumper was welded to the ibeam or frame of the trailer in those circumstances where "tearing" from the top weld was more prevalent.

Thus, mine is bolted (see pic below) and this is where I would want to support it more with something like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JM3GJD) Beyond that I am not sure yet if I can remove those "round" nuts or if I will have to cut them off. Will investigate that more this weekend. So to summarize, with the supports bolted inn place weight load should be higher and more secure one would think.

Regarding the A/C its a 15k that will have a microair run by at least a 2k genset (likely the new 2400 yamaha but I haven't 100% decided yet).
Attached Thumbnails
20180807_195641.jpg