Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #1

Rear Camera Direct Wire

Wondering if anyone has done a direct wire for the rear camera. I have the Furrion prewired system, but I went on the cheap and bought one off of Amazon. It has a nice 7" monitor screen and a camera kit to mount right into the prewired system. However, with a distance of about 30 feet (even got additional antennae from manufacturer to bring it to about 25 feet) the thing is mostly searching for signal with a black screen. Seems to happen especially after passing right when I need to see the other vehicle to switch lanes. (Murphy's law).
So, my question is, instead of the "wireless" I was thinking of running a wire from the camera to the tongue of the camper, and then one from the monitor to my bumper. When hooking up I would then take an additional wire to hook the two together for a "direct wire" system.

> Has anyone ever done this?
> What kind of wire is it that I would need?

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

I installed a hard-wired camera on my TT a few months ago and it has worked well so far. I cannot say the video quality is stellar, but it works well enough to get the job done. I tried mounting the camera on a metal bar I attached to the spare tire carrier but it vibrated too much so I mounted it directly to the bumper with self-taping screws. This camera uses what I assume is a version of a S-video cable connector. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #3

Thanks! This looks very similar to what I have except I have the wireless version and paid double. The connections are more like a coax cable connection for the antennas. Hmmm......

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

I recently purchased my first TT and spent weeks contemplating whether or not to by a Furion system,since it is pre-wired, or go with a less expensive one. I also looked at the direct wire systems and liked the idea that they didn't rely on a wireless connection. In the end I just gave in and spent the extra money on the Furion set up. Installation took less than 5 minutes and the picture is amazing. I have pulled the TT several times on various types of roads and have not once lost picture. I have been up to 70 mph on the interstate with it and the picture looks as good as when I am standing still. Hated spending the money at the time but so glad I did now. A buddy of mine went with a less expensive version and also says he loses picture quite often. If I had the patience and desire to spend a few hours in the South Carolina 100 degree heat and 90% humidity I probably would have went with the hard wire system. I just know I would have been very picky about how the wiring was run and really didn't have the time to devote to doing it.
copteacher is offline   Reply With Quote