Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Rear hitch receiver for bikes

Hey guys-
I'm wondering what you guys have paid for a rear hitch for a bike rack/tray?
I contacted my dealer and she gave a price of about $425 for labor plus parts. Seems a bit much for something that only supports cargo.

Also, if you have parts numbers for what hitch you used I'd appreciate it thanks.

2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

I am picking my Jayco RV up tomorrow. They had a bolt on receiver for the bumper that the tech told me will hold less than 300 lbs. on the bumper with no issues. Not rated for twoing but wil handle our two bikes easy
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

I already have a bolt on hitch for 4 bikes. If I can find an inexpensive hitch mount though, I'd rather go that route. It'd give me option to put a large tray on that could hold more than just bikes.
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

None of the bumpers really are made to support the weight and bouncing.

Our dealer quoted us about $500 for the hitch and installation, and decided it was to much and was going to have a welding shop do it. I got lucky and paid nothing as the dealer accidently welded one on to my HTT instead of the one in the bay next to it during dealer prep.

Personally, I would talk with a few of the welding shop in your area. They are much better welders than any RV dealership.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #5

Consider having a receiver attached to the FRONT of your tow vehicle.

Much less bouncing on the bikes!

And an interesting bonus when parking your rig: Drop the trailer near the camping spot, move the hitch to the front (without the trunnions), turn your tow around and PUSH the trailer backwards. It's almost magical when you put the steerable wheels in the middle of the rig!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Consider having a receiver attached to the FRONT of your tow vehicle.

Much less bouncing on the bikes!

And an interesting bonus when parking your rig: Drop the trailer near the camping spot, move the hitch to the front (without the trunnions), turn your tow around and PUSH the trailer backwards. It's almost magical when you put the steerable wheels in the middle of the rig!
I did that for a few seasons. Bikes were in my field of vision enough to make driving stressful. Plus sometimes I had to remove the bikes and rack to be able to back into spots where the road was narrow and my front wouldn't clear trees or neighbors vehicles..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #7

I paid $300 at a custom hitch/welding shop. They fabricated and installed a frame to frame welded 2" hitch. Second one we have done, very happy with both. We carry 4 bikes or occasionally a cargo tray with gear.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
...Bikes were in my field of vision...
Good reason to move 'em aft.

Consider my suggestion withdrawn.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #9

Use one of these and find a local welder to mount it.
5th Wheel Trailer Hitch Specialty Trailer Hitches | etrailer.com
Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #10

I've been looking at one of these Multi-Fit Motorhome Trailer Hitch, they have a couple different models. If your wprried about it being secure after you install it you can always have it spot welded in a couple of spots. It's on our upgrade list.

Multi-Fit Motorhome Trailer Hitch, 31" - 46" wide Hidden Hitch Specialty Trailer Hitches 82200

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
Site Team

After seeing the prices for bike hitch assemblies, I opted to build my own. Purchased a 2" hitch extender, bolts/nuts, steel plumbing short nipples, and used scrap metal I had laying around. Pulled out the welder and had some fun. I welded the back of the hitch extender to a square piece of metal, and bolted that to the TT's frame cross member. I made a support bracket for the 4x4" bumper. The only thing that the bumper does is stabilize the bike rack, the bulk of the work is done by the cross member. It is as solid as a rock. I was standing on the bike rack and there was no movement at all as I tried bouncing up and down.

The only thing left is to take it off, sand blast it and have it powder coated.. ran out of time so it will have to wait until I return in October.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Rack - Bracket - 1.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 2.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 3.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 4.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 5.jpg  

Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #12

Depending on your Jayco trailer, they do have a bolt on, NOT bumper mounted, receiver accessory. I wouldn't trust the bumper mount designs, but this one actually bolts to the frame and has a 300# limit. We just ordered one for our Jayco. It is about $450 at the dealer, installed. The cost is the part itself, but also shipping. It's heavy. So your price, if it's the Jayco accessory itself, sounds about right. Whatever you do, I'd for sure get something that mounts to the frame rather than the bumper.
luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

I bought the Curt brand extendable travel trailer hitch for out Jay Flight 32BHDS. It weighs a ton, is tough, bolts directly to the frame, and supports over 500# in tongue. Whether it's 4 bikes or a luggage carrier full of wood and a generator, it's not moving at all. The bounce is what breaks welds on the bumper mounted types. I bolted mine on in a couple hours because I had to relocate the stabilizers on the rear.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote