Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

Rear view Camera

First, as a new owner of our first travel trailer, a Jayco 232, I am impressed with the info one can find here and the things I learned from the daily newsletter. A really great tool for a newbie.

As a new owner, I have no clue as to what camera can be mounted on the back of the trailer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jaycophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #2

Welcome from Georgia. It's not what I have but everyone that has the furrion says it works well. My brother just purchased one off ebay for $299.00 I think there around $359 to $400 other places. I seen one on facebook in Atlanta for $195.00
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #3

I did a little research online before buying one and bought the furrion wireless observation camera, from what I read online it has better signal acquisition than their backup camera version. 2 reasons why I went with the furrion is that the mount plate and wiring was already there and I didn't want a big monitor/screen in the way on my dash or stuck to my windshield. I have used the camera on 2 different bumper pull trailers, a 26' wood frame/ aluminum siding and a 37' aluminum frame / fiberglass sided. The camera drops its "frame rate" pretty bad at times and with the aluminum trailer would lose connection completely pretty often, with the fiberglass I would still get drop in "frame rate" but it rarely lost connection. Daytime it works ok but at night any light source at all hitting the camera completely washes out the image on the monitor. For instance when backing up at night when I hit the brakes the light from the tail lights washes out the image on the monitor and I have to release the brake pedal to see again.
Ccleveland1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #4

Rear view Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccleveland1226 View Post
I did a little research online before buying one and bought the furrion wireless observation camera, from what I read online it has better signal acquisition than their backup camera version. 2 reasons why I went with the furrion is that the mount plate and wiring was already there and I didn't want a big monitor/screen in the way on my dash or stuck to my windshield. I have used the camera on 2 different bumper pull trailers, a 26' wood frame/ aluminum siding and a 37' aluminum frame / fiberglass sided. The camera drops its "frame rate" pretty bad at times and with the aluminum trailer would lose connection completely pretty often, with the fiberglass I would still get drop in "frame rate" but it rarely lost connection. Daytime it works ok but at night any light source at all hitting the camera completely washes out the image on the monitor. For instance when backing up at night when I hit the brakes the light from the tail lights washes out the image on the monitor and I have to release the brake pedal to see again.

I agree with all of the above. I don’t know if there is anything better out there, but even trying to justify $200 for this thing seems like a stretch. The image quality seems akin to what I see on my child’s eight year old Leapfrog tablet.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #5

WE have the 4.3 model and couldn't be happier with it. Night time woks fine so far, it is grey scale at night.Nice to see what it going on back there

2018 34 RSBS
2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
14K/1400 Equalzer Hitch
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

I have a Yuwei Rear Observation Camera with 5" monitor ($158.00)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B0762LMTK2

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #7

I tried the wireless route with my 32ft trailer plus a 6ft box, it was cutting out way to much. This summer I installed a wired camera at the back, made my own housing for it and ran the wire under the coach to a plastic electrical box in the front. There I simply pull out the video cable and attach it to the other end on my truck. Inside the truck I mounted a monitor and ran the video cable to the back where the hitch is.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_133412.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	45623Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_133400.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	45624
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #8

My trailer is 33.5” overall length and the wireless Furrion works perfect and has no connectivity issues at all. The picture quality leaves much to be desired, but I only activate it about the last 3-4’ backing into a campsite. I’m not really sure it’s good for much beyond the last few feet to get the trailer exactly where you want it.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Digital Wireless Backup Camera and 7''Monitor Kit System for RV/Pickup/Van/Truck/Trailer Driving&Reversing Rear View/Front View Use IP69K Waterproof Night Vision Guide Lines ON/Off
by LeeKooLuu $159.95
We have had excellent results with this camera. Slightly different mount than the furion but with two holes drilled in the mount it works there. We wired to the running lights and the camera works all the time the lights are on.