Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #1

Rear View Camera/ Monitor

I would like to install a wireless rear view camera on my JayFlight 34BSRS. I am considering the Voyager WVOS511 and the Rear View Safety 091406. Both say they are good for 60'. Cost is a HUGE difference. $650 for the Voyager and $250 for the Rear View Safety. Does anyone have any experience with either one?

2008 Ford F250 Lariet 4WD 6.4 Diesel
2015 Jay Flight 34 RSBS
2014 Keystone Hideout -traded
krgbcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #2

I can't help with either of the systems you mentioned, but I can share my experience with the system I purchased.

Wireless High-Speed Observation System. (For high-speed observation and backup use) - FURRION

Since my TT came pre wired, the installation was plug & play. It doesn't get any easier than that. The system works perfectly and it gives me a clear picture of what's behind me. I highly recommend it.

Good luck with youe decision.

Pawpaw

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

I went with a hard wired system from RVS and would use them again in a heart beat. If your a Costco member check online as they carry it.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Seann, which model of RVS did you get from Costco ? Was looking at their systems but if I am going to do it, I would like to put a couple of sideview cameras (lane changing) in addition to the backup camera on the trailer. RVS has a new wireless system on their website and through Camping World which they guarantee will deliver the signal up to 70 feet without interference. In the past recommendations have always been to go hardwired but given RVS's reputation I am wondering how their new wireless system stacks up. Wireless would also make it easier to bring the monitor into the trailer to check up on two or four legged critters around the trailer late at night.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Site Team

I have had both wireless and wired versions.

The first attempt at wireless was the license plate camera, what a joke that was. The signal barely made it to the front of the TT, and it had ignition noise when the engine was running (lines across the screen). Tossed that one out!

Since I have a wireless Wi-Fi router running 24/7 in the TT, I figured that I would use one of my Wi-Fi cameras as a rear view camera. I access the TT's Wi-Fi router from the TV, with no issues. The rear view picture was GREAT. The camera is rated for 400' Tx. No problem with the signal. I mounted it on the ladder and powered it off the TT's running lights (works only on when the TT’s lights are on). That was 2 or 3 years ago. So there we were getting ready to head out this summer for a 3 month trip, I grabbed the MS Windows tablet (to test) and low and behold no rear Wi-Fi camera could be found. Tried locating with other tablets, no luck. Decided to run a cat5 cable from the Wi-Fi camera (camera has both Wi-Fi and hard wire connect ability) to the Wi-Fi router in the TT. We are back up and running. Something happened to the camera's Transmitter. I will look at it when we get home in October.

I still have the TT's interior PAN Wi-Fi camera up and running, but seldom use it. Who wants to watch things bouncing around inside the TT while traveling on these un-smooth highways. And some people allow their pets to be bounced around while travelng, UNBELEIVABLE!

So, my recommendation would be get a WIRED product. You will not be sorry.

Some of you may be surprised that I, “Mr. WIRELESS”, would prefer a hardwired option. It was, the path of LEAST RESISTANCE!!!

Here is a link to my Wi-Fi album.. I need to update the album as I have purchased a newer Wi-Fi extender (EnGenius ENS202EXT). The camera is an AirSight Wireless IP Camera

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Check this out: RVtravel.com - RVing Tip of the Day "Do-it-yourself back-up camera install?" RV Daily Tips Issue 694. August 27, 2015 | RV Travel

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Thanks Don, there are a lot of those license plate backup cameras that gave wireless cameras a bad name and I tried one on my stationwagon a few years ago and returned it same day for the same reasons you described. I am wondering whether the new RVS is any better.

Does your system require an inverter to convert 12v for the cameras and router to run on 120v household power ? Also does your wifi extender set up help with this as well ? My next 2 projects are the wifi extender and backup cameras.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I am wondering whether the new RVS is any better.

Does your system require an inverter to convert 12v for the cameras and router to run on 120v household power ? Also does your wifi extender set up help with this as well ? My next 2 projects are the wifi extender and backup cameras.
I have no clue on the RVS systems, Seann will be able to tell you more about it and he may be able to compare to the new specs..

As for my Wi-Fi setup, I have converted them all to run off the TT's batteries without the need to have the inverter running. I purchased a D-Link router because the transformer is a 12VDC transformer, no problem there, just wired it to a fuse and it runs off the battery. The camera is a 5VDC power supply so I purchased a 3 amp 5VDC voltage regulator ($8) and wired it between the TT's running lights and the camera. The Wi-Fi extender was a challenge, as it runs off of 24VDC. I talked with EnGenius the mfr and they said it would work on 12VDC, but I am not sure how it would perform, so I purchased (2) 12VDC to 24VDC converters and wired them in parallel (more wattage).

While traveling or dry-camping I could have run them off the inverter, but being the electronics nut that I am, I decided to redo the system.

Don

I just added a link to my Wi-Fi album in the other post if you want to look at it.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote