Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry View Post
Just bought a 2016 324BHTS with the "prewired backup camera" option. Switch is in the front storage compartment with a sticker that says "prewired", but nothing obvious in the rear of the trailer.
After much investigation, just figured I would buy this: Rampage Wireless Backup Camera for Smartphone or Tablet - iOS or Android for 120 bucks and call it a day!

Its cheap and most people like it

Is this the switch you're referring to? This controls the lights on the front cap that aim towards the hitch area. I don't see why it would control both, but I also don't see where another switch would be for the camera....
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443904814.562150.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	20401

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #22

Thanks bldlman,
Finally an explanation of whats involved. I have a 2016 29RKS and have the same sign along side the bed. Not very clear though how the signal gets to the truck, unless it's wireless. In that case, I think almost any wireless camera would work since it's triggered by the lights. I wonder if that means the camera is on at night? Maybe the switch shown in the .pdf is to enable/disable the camera? Although, I haven't seen such a switch yet in my new trlr.
Thx Fred
Fred Korz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
Is this the switch you're referring to? This controls the lights on the front cap that aim towards the hitch area. I don't see why it would control both, but I also don't see where another switch would be for the camera....
Attachment 20401
That is the switch, but it doesn't turn on the front cap lights on mine. There is a switch below the driver side light underneath near the front a frame that turns the lights on and off. I think that switch turns on power to the camera when the trailer is unhooked from tow vehicle.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #24

Looking to order a 2016 28BHBE... Would it/should it come pre-wired for the back up camera? I have never seen one with the bracket mounted.

My Aunt and Uncle bought a Starcraft and it was pre-wired and includes the bracket and they like having it.

You would think if Jayco prewires the Starcrafts they would do it on their own Jayco lines.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #25

It won't come with the bracket installed. If you order a new camper with the camera they will install, otherwise its just pre-wired.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosmoses33 View Post
That is the switch, but it doesn't turn on the front cap lights on mine. There is a switch below the driver side light underneath near the front a frame that turns the lights on and off. I think that switch turns on power to the camera when the trailer is unhooked from tow vehicle.

I did find out that there was not a switch set up from the factory for the hitch lights. So instead of installing a new switch, the dealer hooked them up to the camera switch. Brilliant huh? lol

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #27

Very smart lol
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #28

So have you used the Rampage yet? If so, how's it worked out?
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #29

I've used my Wi-Fi-enabled SJCAM4000 sport cam (gopro clone) for backing up on occasion. It has an app for Android and a feature that allows video streaming through the app. I didn't buy it specifically for backing up, just tried it out when I saw the functionality. Takes a min or two to fiddle with it and get it set up, so I don't really use it but it works well. Just another option.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #30

I've been asking questions about this since November and still don't have any answers. I asked the dealer to verify that a wire exists behind the center rear running light. They did find a blue wire there and said it was hot. I asked where the power source comes from and they have not a clue. Asked for a wiring diagram and was told none exists. After several email to Jayco from myself and the dealer no real answer. The production people at Jayco say there is a blue wire behind the com center in the Master BR so I removed the cover and found nothing. I believe Jayco wants us to us a Voyager wireless camper and their monitor which plugs into the cigarette light plug in the TV and TT. This way you can see the rear of the TT for security while using the plug in the MBR. Possible a wireless Furrion would work also. I very frustrated with the answers I'm getting. Considering a Rampage portable wireless that is used with my IPhone. Also I can use it for hitch up or rear of TT when backing into site. Advice welcome!!!
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #31

I called them about something different. They take your name, number and your concern then an engineer calls you back.
I found them very accommodating.
I only mention this because we started talking about the wireless camera power.
He pulled up the prints on his computer and told me what I wanted to know.
When he didn't know the answer, he went to the floor and found the answer and called me back.
Just call them.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #32

Good info. I was wondering about the pre-wired feature...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #33

Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL

We bought a 2016 Jayco 34RSBS in October, 2015 that came "wired" for the observation camera. I bought a Furrion wireless observation system for the rig and am installing it now. The wiring is behind the center rear running light and you have two options: You can either have constant camera power from the RV's 12v system; or get camera power from the running lights. I chose to get power from the running lights. This was to save hours on the camera and to eliminate having to install an on/off switch for the camera. If I want to see what's out back when I'm in the RV, I'll open the shades... I also have a wired "back up only" camera mounted on the tag. I have a video switch in line with the trucks back up camera to enable the one on the back of the trailer when I'm towing and backing up. The observation system stays on all the time while towing.
Hearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #34

That is not a prewire. A prewire would only require mounting the camera and plugging it in to the pre-existing wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Here you go. It's a joke of a pre-wire though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z49kcvdx0...ation.pdf?dl=0
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #35

So after reading the comments what's the end result? Just picked up a jayco 28bhbe over the summer and I do have a pre-wire sticker in the bedroom. Where is the hot 12v wire located and I didn't see a switch. What did people end up getting for a observation camera?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:22 AM   #36

I have the Voyager wireless system on a 2017 29RKS. The camera appears to be always on. I can't find a switch. There is a sticker about the camera prewire next to the bed. I pulled the charging center in an attempt to find
The wire so I could add a a switch, but saw no wire that appeared to be for the camera. Did anybody ever find the wire?
Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseh View Post
I have the Voyager wireless system on a 2017 29RKS. The camera appears to be always on. I can't find a switch. There is a sticker about the camera prewire next to the bed. I pulled the charging center in an attempt to find
The wire so I could add a a switch, but saw no wire that appeared to be for the camera. Did anybody ever find the wire?
Exactly samething I did, pulled the charging station and no wires. How do you find that wireless system? Did you install it yourself?

Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #38

My dealer installed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseh View Post
My dealer installed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I want to do it myself but it may void some warranty. Having the camera on at all times while driving is not a bad thing as you will be able to see what's behind while driving. Like an observation camera.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Thanks I want to do it myself but it may void some warranty. Having the camera on at all times while driving is not a bad thing as you will be able to see what's behind while driving. Like an observation camera.

The camera remaining on while driving is not the issue. You're right... that's pretty much the objective. Being on while connected to shore power is not an issue. Remaining on when operating from battery power only is a big issue, and a needless battery drain.