Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Reasonable towing distance a day

Hello,

We just bought a 24T and have a 4000 mile trip planned. Some of our overnight stops are over 500 miles apart, is this feasable? We would be leaving from DFW area, to Alberq NM, then to Grand Canyon, up to SLC UT and then into Yellowstone.

At 10.5 mpg fuel stops are also a concern for me with the new TT. TV has 26 gallon tank, and it looks like around 200 miles I better find a gas station! Which raises my other concern about gas stations being able to accomodate TV and TT.

Thanks for your comments

Jayco24T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #2

The rule of thumb I've seen is 300-350 miles a day. That's what I am planning to use on my vacation this summer. Maybe you can do more but I'd rather get in earlier and have time to set up and relax.

I've got the same concern with you with my 26 gallon tank. I'm planning to take at least an extra 5 gallons along with me in a metal can just in case.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

10-12 hour days are not out of the norm for us, but our trips are long weekends and vacations usually a week at a time with weekend travel, so it's our choice to spend as much time at the destination as we can and with few stops and little sightseeing along the way.

The gas stops can be problematic. I also tow with a Tundra and suffered with the frequent fuel stops. I finally put a Transfer Flow tank in my truck and now can go 400 miles between stops if I need to. When you are 40 miles from Rock Springs, Wy at 11PM and the gas light comes on because you hadn't counted on a gas-sucking head wind, that is not a warm, fuzzy feeling. Not only does it reduce the white knuckle driving because you don't know where the next stop is going to be, it gives you some flexibility to avoid the places where it might be a hassle getting out. Now, when my gas light comes on, I know I have 11 gallons left and can still drive another 100 miles if I need to.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

Do you have more info on this Transfer Flow tank, Bob? It is a replacement tank or something that augments your standard tank.

I agree with you... if a long weekend or a week off, I'd drive much further too. I'm now able to take my time so there's no hurry.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Go to Transfer Flow's website. They have several configurations for both gas and diesel. I have a hard cover on my bed, so I went with the tank that replaces the factory 26 gal tank with a steel 47 gal. tank. Be sitting down. They ain't cheap..
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

You didn't mention how many days are in your 4000 mile trip. Driving through the mountains can take alot more out of you than driving through the flatlands. And you don't cover as much distance in a given amount of time.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

A few years back we planned a trip to Disney and booked most of our campgrounds in advance as they fill up fast in that area. I planned on 500 miles a day.. But we had never towed a trailer before. We ended up exhausted some days and even lost our money on a couple of campgrounds we couln't make... So my advice is that you can try for 500 but i dont recomend you precook your site.. Or it may be too tiring and stressful.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
A few years back we planned a trip to Disney and booked most of our campgrounds in advance as they fill up fast in that area. I planned on 500 miles a day.. But we had never towed a trailer before. We ended up exhausted some days and even lost our money on a couple of campgrounds we couln't make... So my advice is that you can try for 500 but i dont recomend you precook your site.. Or it may be too tiring and stressful.
Lol ladyW. "precook your site". Isn't that what you did in your bear story on the campfire chat thread! Lol
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #9

I think 500 a day would be an upper limit for a relaxing time. It all depends on how much time you have to spend for the vacation as a whole and how much time you are planning at your destination. We are planning a trip from KS to Ca in June to visit family. We have done this trip many times but never with a TT. Usually we'd drive like crazy and try to get to Flagstaff, AZ and then take a nap in a hotel (literaly 5-6 hour nap) and then drive like crazy again until reaching our destination. This time with the camper we plan on stopping in Albuquerque, NM then another stop in Kingman, AZ, then on into Cali on day three. My kids have always been excellent passengers in the vehicle so I am looking forward to a little more relaxed pace. Another thing is my wife is capable/willing to drive the truck and camper also so we plan on switching off and on. My kids are 8 so I think maybe at age 10 yellowstone would be a good destination for us. Your trip sounds like alot of fun!
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #10

Re: pre-cooking site.. Pharoe I had four moody teenagers with me on that holiday.. after a day in the van with them.. I was a bit pre-cooked I think lol

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote