Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Recent year Eagle TT owners - need help

Because of the production delays on our 2017 Eagle TT delivery, our dealership is planning on delivering our new 330RSTS to us in Florida.

That poses an issue in that I was planning on having the dealership install my new Blue Ox BXW2003 WDH but now that won't be possible. I not only want to determine if the shank they sent with the hitch is long enough, and swap it out with a longer one if necessary, but also have a way to move this beheamoth around (at least short distances at first) until I can get it "dialed in".

So I was wondering if someone with a similar sized trailer to ours that also has the underslung coupler (2016/17 330RSTS or equivalent like a 338RETS) with the Maxxis tire upgrade might have a coupler measurement on a leveled trailer available, or would be willing to measure it for me?

Even without the tire upgrade, it would be close enough to tell me whether the shank I have will work and if not, allow me to swap it out for a longer one before we leave in a few weeks. It would also allow me to assemble the head before we leave with a "close enough" height to move the trailer short distances at slower speeds until I can get it "dialed in".

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

Recent year Eagle TT owners - need help

It's pretty tall. Mine is right around 30" (with Maxxis tires upgrade). On my Excursion, I needed the extended version. I was short by one hole. What are you towing with? The Ex has soft springs, so an HD truck may not need the extended shank.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

My 338 rets was roughly 27 to 28 inches to top of ball at level. My 2011 f250 4x4 put it right about the wrong place for shank adjustment so I had to get a shank that would allow my ball to be level with receiver
Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
It's pretty tall. Mine is right around 30" (with Maxxis tires upgrade). On my Excursion, I needed the extended version. I was short by one hole. What are you towing with? The Ex has soft springs, so an HD truck may not need the extended shank.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

I took delivery of a 2017 338RETS this summer and the ball height on it with standard tires is 26.5". I pull with a 2016 Ford F250 SD which I believe sits higher than the GM products and I use a standard mount with the bar pointing down.

Between the tire upgrade and the shorter stance of the GM, I'm guessing that you'll need a longer than normal shank. Only one way to find out as I'm sure you know. Put the hitch head together and measure. If you don't have 29-30" you will most likely need to purchase another shank.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Well, I temporarily assembled the head and ball on the shank that came with the hitch with the shank downward and was no where near the numbers you guys are posting. I also measured my receiver, and the center of it is right on 20".

So I flipped the shank I have in the upwards position and now have a "top of the ball" range between 27 1/2" at the lowest possible configuration to 32 1/2" at the highest. So when I mount the head in the center of the shank (2 holes show both top and bottom) my ball height is right on 30".

But anyway, if I just take things literally, and I need to be about 30", it appears I will be in the "sweet spot" once the WD is connected. Does that sound right, or is there something I am not considering such as taking into account the "squat coefficient" (lol) because my HD does squat some when hitching up our current trailer which has a tongue weight just north of 1200# when loaded. I wouldn't think so, but I hate to assume anything.

Thanks again everyone. MUCH appreciated.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Sounds right to me. The Squat Coefficient is compensated for by using the WDH.

I have an additional question though. My Reese tow bar (shank) is only rated to 1200# tongue weight (going from memory). I have't been by a cat scale but in another post someone showed over 1600#s as their tongue weight on the same trailer. I believe the "published" (I can't find it now) tongue weight on the 338RETS is close to this amount empty.

Do they make heavier shanks?
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
Sounds right to me. The Squat Coefficient is compensated for by using the WDH.

I have an additional question though. My Reese tow bar (shank) is only rated to 1200# tongue weight (going from memory). I have't been by a cat scale but in another post someone showed over 1600#s as their tongue weight on the same trailer. I believe the "published" (I can't find it now) tongue weight on the 338RETS is close to this amount empty.

Do they make heavier shanks?
Not an expert by any means, but I would have to think that they have similar ratings as a ball or hitch head does. I went to Etrailer's site and took a look at Reese shanks and it sure looks like there are "different strokes for different folks".

Reese - WD Shanks

As for the 338RETS tongue weight, it is slightly less than the 330RSTS I have on order, which is a whopping 1270# and the 2017's were slightly heaver than the 2016's were in both cases. But suffice it to say that every published tongue weight from the factory for the 338RETS and the 330RSTS for this year and last year were between 1200 and 1300#.

With only 100 to 200# of margin between the published dry hitch weight and my current Equalizer 1400# WDH, and seeing the same posts saying that some are up around 1600# tongue weight, that is why I am moving to the Blue Ox 2000/20000# hitch.

The floor layout of these trailers not only puts most of the kitchen/bath/bedroom storage in front of the axles but most likely the tanks as well as the front pass thru. Knowing that along with the DW's packing habits as I do, I can easily see where ours will be comparable to the others. My Equalizer would never make it and besides, I would rather have too much hitch than not enough.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Well, I temporarily assembled the head and ball on the shank that came with the hitch with the shank downward and was no where near the numbers you guys are posting. I also measured my receiver, and the center of it is right on 20".

So I flipped the shank I have in the upwards position and now have a "top of the ball" range between 27 1/2" at the lowest possible configuration to 32 1/2" at the highest. So when I mount the head in the center of the shank (2 holes show both top and bottom) my ball height is right on 30".

But anyway, if I just take things literally, and I need to be about 30", it appears I will be in the "sweet spot" once the WD is connected. Does that sound right, or is there something I am not considering such as taking into account the "squat coefficient" (lol) because my HD does squat some when hitching up our current trailer which has a tongue weight just north of 1200# when loaded. I wouldn't think so, but I hate to assume anything.

Thanks again everyone. MUCH appreciated.

I don't think you're missing anything. I believe the Blue Ox instructions state to start with the ball 1"-2" higher than the coupler. You should be fine.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
I don't think you're missing anything. I believe the Blue Ox instructions state to start with the ball 1"-2" higher than the coupler. You should be fine.
It says the same or 1" higher, so yep, think I am good. Thanks.