Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #21

Always travel with frig. on.. No Problem.

michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #22

Has anyone traveled with the frig on when the frig is at the rear of the trailer? Does the vacuum/turbulence that is created in the back cause problems with the flame going out? My new White Hawk is the first RV where the frig is not on the side.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #23

I always travel with fridge on gas. Have experienced a flame out on a few occasions noticing that the fridge is flashing when I arrive or stop for the nite. Not sure why, but it must be turbulance or such as the electronic igniter would relight it I think. Anyway it has always fired back up and we were good to go.

the only time we were told to shut down the fridge was while traveling in a rented motorhome in Alaska when stopped to refill the onboard propane. The attendant ask both time for us to shut down the fridge. Never an issue at the gas pump.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I always have mine running on gas. Fueling up,tunnels, wherever....just a rebel

Now that is funny right there! I too am a rebel....

Dave
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #25

Okay I have just run into this very problem of the igniter getting blown out while driving down the road. I mention this to the tech working on the trailer on the way home from camping for a different reason. He tells me that the igniter should relight itself but if it isn't then what he would do is get a furnace filter and open the panel on the outside of the TT for the fridge and put it in there so that the wind doesn't blow out the igniter. (of course to take the filter out when getting to the CG) I'm not sure about this since this is my first trailer and all this is new to me. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep this from happening when driving down the road. BTW I only drive 55-60mph when towing so it shouldn't be a mario andretti problem. Thanks!
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #26

If you have a roof vent for the ref. it may be damaged or missing. Or if you placed a weather cover over a crank vent close to it to may be directing air down the vent. If you have a wall vent make sure the flame protector is in the right position.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmcouple View Post
Okay I have just run into this very problem of the igniter getting blown out while driving down the road. I mention this to the tech working on the trailer on the way home from camping for a different reason. He tells me that the igniter should relight itself but if it isn't then what he would do is get a furnace filter and open the panel on the outside of the TT for the fridge and put it in there so that the wind doesn't blow out the igniter. (of course to take the filter out when getting to the CG) I'm not sure about this since this is my first trailer and all this is new to me. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep this from happening when driving down the road. BTW I only drive 55-60mph when towing so it shouldn't be a mario andretti problem. Thanks!
Make sure it's actually lighting and staying lit on gas before you take off. I thought ours was getting blown out on the road, turns out DW was flipping the switch to gas and walking away assuming it would light. By the time we stopped, all we knew was that the fault light was blinking, so we assumed it was getting blown out in transit. Now she doesn't leave until she verifies that it's lit, and I check it every time we stop by listening as I walk by. We've never had it blow out. Personally, I would not put a furnace filter there, that seems to be asking for trouble.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #28

Our Norcold manual says, "The refrigerator receives DC power from the 12 volt system of the vehicle; either an auxiliary battery, a converter, or the vehicle engine battery." So we have thought that when we are traveling and have put the control on "Auto" that the fridge is running off the TV battery. Is that right?
blsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #29

12 volt pwr only controls the controls. The reef gets heat from gas or 120 elect to heat coil. The heat source turns ammonia into a gas to make cold.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #30

Ok, thank you for that info. We've only driven for two or three hours so didn't realize the fridge wasn't actually working while we were traveling.

blsh is offline   Reply With Quote