Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

refrigerator not cold enough

Can someone confirm if this is still true of jayco SLX 154BH ?

I have this model and year. The refrigerator is terrible, its based on evaporation technology meaning it uses fire/heat to make things cold. In the winter time that's OK. But in the summer time the counter top above the refrigerator heats up to very warm. In the summer it battles your air conditioner and barely keeps food cold enough to be safe. So when its 95 outside and your air conditioner is working overtime you have this very warm oven like device inside your camper cranking out the heat next to where you would sit or sleep called your refrigerator. This heats up regardless if electric or propane is used, remember there is no compressor in this refrigerator it uses evaporation and heat to cool. Other than that his camper rocks. Its so easy to tow, so easy to park, and its a ton of fun. The build quality is OK nothing to write home about but for the money what do you expect....
"
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #2

I'm just asking if it's true with the poster said about the refrigerator
Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Absorption technology is still used widely in rv's.
Some mfr's are installing residential fridges in larger units in combination with an inverter to make 120v when off the power grid.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #4

refrigerator not cold enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
...snip... The refrigerator is terrible, its based on evaporation technology meaning it uses fire/heat to make things cold....snip
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Absorption technology is still used widely in rv's. ...snip
pawntan:

You didn't mention if you've tried a couple of the mods using fans and if they made any difference or not. As norty1 said, these refrigerators are very common and some members have improved the cooling adding small, low voltage fans.

One mod is a fan inside the refrigerator to circulate that air better. The other mod is a fan for better ventilation of the waste heat out through the exhaust stack.

Use the 'Search' function for JOF and you'll find several topics that may help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

Ok , I'm considering different RV with similar weight, around 2500lb, but if the problem is the same with small RV then maybe I have to live with that, and consider Jayco 154 BH too.

So is is true that all small RV refrigerator never use condenser inside ? even though when the RV manufacturer say the fridge is 3 way power (including electric ) ?

I remember that I have a dormitory refrigerator when I was in college, and it did freeze water to ice.

So if the problem is with being small, why the fridge works in dormitory room, and not in RV ?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
Ok , I'm considering different RV with similar weight, around 2500lb, but if the problem is the same with small RV then maybe I have to live with that, and consider Jayco 154 BH too.

So is is true that all small RV refrigerator never use condenser inside ? even though when the RV manufacturer say the fridge is 3 way power (including electric ) ?

I remember that I have a dormitory refrigerator when I was in college, and it did freeze water to ice.

So if the problem is with being small, why the fridge works in dormitory room, and not in RV ?
Virtually all RV's use absorption technology as Originally Posted by norty1.
It's a technology difference, not a size difference. If your dorm refrigerator plugged into an outlet, it used a compressor. Our family has a full-size absorption (propane) refrigerator at a remote cabin that has no electric.

We had a class-B MH that had a compressor refrigerator that was 12 volt only. It worked well, but could drain the 'house' battery quickly so we needed sites with AC power (or had to drive a lot ) to keep that battery charged.

You can use Wiki to read about absorption vs compressor refrigeration.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #7

I installed a fan behind the fridge and it works better. I also put a batteery operated fan inside the fridge that circulates the cool air. My fridge in my 184BH works very well.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

My fridge works better on gas than electric...I have a jayco 23j. There should be a temp control in the unit is that set correctly?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote