Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2023, 08:43 AM   #1

Refrigerator Shelves Falling out

I have a 2022 Jayco travel trailer model 332CBOK. this unit has a Whirlpool residential refrigerator mounted in the very back of the trailer.
as we are traveling, the glass shelves are not fastened down and jump out of place. This has caused the items on the shelves to either fall against the door or fall down onto the next shelf. This has caused some of the plastic trays in both the refrigerator and the freezer to crack and break.
Has anyone else experienced this issue and what did you do to remedy this?
I have had a conversation with Jayco Customer service, but they claim they have never heard of this. I find that hard to believe, as there is nothing to hold those shelves in.
Mulligan 2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:52 AM   #2

I use some spring loaded bars ( from camco) to hold the fridge contents in place. Maybe these could be used to keep the shelves from jumping up?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan 2017 View Post
I have a 2022 Jayco travel trailer model 332CBOK. this unit has a Whirlpool residential refrigerator mounted in the very back of the trailer.
as we are traveling, the glass shelves are not fastened down and jump out of place. This has caused the items on the shelves to either fall against the door or fall down onto the next shelf. This has caused some of the plastic trays in both the refrigerator and the freezer to crack and break.
I have had a conversation with Jayco Customer service, but they claim they have never heard of this. I find that hard to believe, as there is nothing to hold those shelves in.
I'm only throwing this out there b/c just today I used this stuff Gorilla double sided mounting tape. Maybe you cut a small piece, place it where the shelves are supposed to attach and push down on the shelf into the tape. May just work. Stuff is very sticky and has excellent adherence. Just be sure the spot is cleaned, pretreat with some rubbing alcohol and ensure it is completely dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 6.51.45 PM.png  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost v6, 3.73, tow package, #6900 GVWR, 145.4" 4x4
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:10 PM   #4

Check the tire pressure. Depending on the tire, and estimated weight that you are pulling, it's possible you are over inflated.

There are dozens of threads with hundreds of pages about tire inflation. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:29 PM   #5

X2 on tire pressure. Bought next size up tires and went from 50 to 65 psi and promptly opened every cabinet door and put everything on the floor. Weighted the axel and reduced pressure to Goodyear chart value of 55 psi for that weight and no problems since.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:44 PM   #6

It’s not your tire pressure… it’s the fact you have a rear kitchen model with the fridge on the rear wall.
It’s like being a kid in a school bus going over the railroad tracks back there. Especially in a TT, a fifth wheel is a little better, but a rear kitchen isn’t the best idea for a trailer.
Like mentioned above, get the camco fridge bars and hold the shelves down.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
it’s the fact you have a rear kitchen model with the fridge on the rear wall.

X2. Absolutely the roughest ride is the rear of a trailer. Personally I would never own a rear kitchen model of anything if lots of traveling is planned, our horrible highways will beat it up.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:17 AM   #8

Thanks for the ideas. Jayco has arranged a Whirlpool service rep to look at it this week. I don't think it is a Whirlpool problem so much as maybe from Jayco should have looked at the application of this particular fridge in the back end of a camper. Hopefully I'm wrong and he has a solution.
Ill check the tires, and will look into the glue or tape.
Refrigerator Diving board regards!
Old 12-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #9

Is there someway that you could zip tie them in place?
rccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:12 AM   #10

No place to hook a zip tie without drilling holes. Glue or tape could be a better option.
Thanks to everybody for the inout.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
No place to hook a zip tie without drilling holes. Glue or tape could be a better option.
Thanks to everybody for the inout.
Self adhesive wire tie mounts stuck on the sides.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:29 AM   #12

Iím really thinking the fridge bars will solve your problem before messy tape will.
I donít have a shelf lifting problem but I have a bottle and can moving problem.
I put these in every time I travel and nothing moves.
With this double bar (pictured) you would just press it down tight on the shelf and it would stop you contents from sliding around at the same time.
Put a single bar on the back of the shelf to stop the shelf from lifting at the back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4590.jpeg  
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:51 AM   #13

Had same problem put a single spring bar at the rear of each shelf to keep shelf from lifting. I then use spring bars to hold things on shelf’s while traveling. No problems since. We travel 1100 miles down I 95 to snowbird in Florida every winter no problems.
2018 Jayflight 28 RLS (traded)
langewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:23 AM   #14

Put a set of shock absorbers on.... Helped my trailer a lot

24 RLS
x1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:05 PM   #15

I purchased so of the filament tape like comes in Refrigerators to hold the shelves in place during shipping. I used it to tape the shelves in place.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 03:55 PM   #16

I have a rear kitchen Eagle 5w. EVERYTHING rear of the axle moves! I try to have everything tied down. I don't load frig till I get to my destination. GOOD ADVICE: DONT BUY A REAR KITCHEN RV!!
dlgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:

Read about this problem just as we bought out rear kitchen 2023 Eagle 319MLOJ. We secured the shelves with a bead of silicon on both sides of the shelve where it makes contact with the support and have had no problems.
We did have water n the shelves and that managed to slide forward and loaded up a plastic door shelve and cracked it.
Looking where to buy a replacement.
We like the rear kitchen as we love the floor plan.
Your $0.02 might be different!
2022 F250 SRW Diesel
2023 Jayco 319MLOK Eagle
Eagle319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #18

Quote:
We have a rear kitchen in our fifth wheel and a residential refrigerator. We have the same problem. We just remove the shelves and most of the contents on travel days. We ice down the stuff we take out of the fridge, then put the stuff back in once we reach our destination. It's a bit of a pain but worth it because those plastic bins in the door and in the freezer, and the glass shelves are expensive. I'll never have another rear kitchen. Floor plan of a rear kitchen is great, but the back end bounces around so much that it tears up everything. Have had problems not only with the fridge, but have had to rebuild some of the shelves since they weren't built very sturdy at the Jayco Factory.
Pfdford is offline   Reply With Quote

« LP pressure | Maine »