Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #1

Removal of valances in my ‘09 Jayflight

Aaaahhhhhh! How on earth do you get these blinds and valances down? I feel like the blinds need to come out first but I am baffled.... We don’t have blinds in our house so this is all new to me. We want to paint and trying to make the process easier. Help!!
Kathied65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

If they're like ours, then you have to reach up inside the valance with a long screwdriver. Set aside plenty of time, and patience. (Like so many things Jayco, they were not made with any thought for people who might want take them off)

It helps if you can somehow lay on your back and look up (Tricky on the window over the kitchen counter, I know :-)

Your don't necessarily have to take the blinds out first, but, if you do, they're secured with a screw at each end, hidden away behind the blind itself. If you can get somebody to hold the blind up out of the way, it helps.

Then you should be able to see that the valance "box" is attached with three screws in right-angle brackets... one at each end and one in the middle.
Try not to put any stress on the brackets themselves, they are probably only attached with woodscrews in a wall made of pressed cardboard
The middle screw may not be accessible unless you do take the blind out, it depends on your particular installation.

If you think that sounds tricky, wait until you try to put them back together... :-)

( A dab of glue or a magnetic screwdriver will help to stop the screws falling down and hitting you in the eye)

Have fun !

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #3

Screws are in the top of the valance usually behind or in front the blind (hard to see and get to, but they are there. There may be some small "L" brackets there too.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
If they're like ours, then you have to reach up inside the valance with a long screwdriver. Set aside plenty of time, and patience. (Like so many things Jayco, they were not made with any thought for people who might want take them off)

It helps if you can somehow lay on your back and look up (Tricky on the window over the kitchen counter, I know :-)

Your don't necessarily have to take the blinds out first, but, if you do, they're secured with a screw at each end, hidden away behind the blind itself. If you can get somebody to hold the blind up out of the way, it helps.

If you think that sounds tricky, wait until you try to put them back together... :-)

( A dab of glue or a magnetic screwdriver will help to stop the screws falling down and hitting you in the eye)

Have fun !
And that’s why I’m leaving mine in ( original condition) rather than getting out the chain saw & belt sander.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #5

I just had to take my first one down to restring a blind. Like others have said, the top screws on mine were between the blind and the window and were tough to get to. They were also square drive not phillips. When I reinstalled the valence I used regular phillips head screws and put them in front of the blind to make it easier. My blind was attached to the valence with 3 additional screws.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #6

I got ‘em down!!

Those are the strangest mini blinds I’ve ever experienced! There was a little plastic part on the blind brackets that needed to be pulled forward to disengage the blind. After some careful coaxing and use of a flat head screwdriver to pull on the plastic piece, the blinds came off. The valences were screwed into the blind brackets. Now that I have them all down I don’t know that I will reattach the valences. Maybe I’ll make some curtains instead....
Thank you for your help!
Old 06-19-2020, 08:51 PM   #7

Mine were attached a little differently than yours. Once I figured out the blind brackets mechanism I got them all out. No screws in the end of the blind. All valences attached you the blind brackets.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:52 AM   #8
Site Team

Most all screws on Jayco's are the #2 Robertson bit. It's square. Available at most any hardware store. You may also need a 6 inch extension for your screwdriver.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blinds removal, reno, valance removal, ‘09 jayflight