Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Removing A/C on Jayco JayFlight SLX 145RB

This is a very small travel trailer and it has a window A/C in a section of the cabinets. I'm not having a problem with my A/C other than it just being one with manual controls where the fan never shuts off.

I've found the equivalent model of the exact same physical dimensions that has digital controls where the fan can be set to shut off after the compressor shuts off. With the fan on all the time now, the temp varies so much and my sinuses get stopped up with air blowing constantly.

My A/C has the screen on the outside with the sealant around it. On the inside, it has the wood trim and the metal bracket on top. I haven't touched the screen or anything on the outside but I've had both the trim off and the screw out of the top bracket on the inside. The A/C is still attached somewhere.

Has anyone replaced or removed on of these? I was just wanting to find out if I need to remove that sealed screen on the outside to get to more screws to remove it. It would be such an improvement to upgrade to an electronically controlled A/C.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #2

My 145rb slx baja has the same type of ac unit and the same type of installation.
I had to take the outer screen and side cover off once because the frame and the screen are held together with some variety of adhesive similiar to hot glue. The southern Arizona heat caused an immediate failure of the glue after less than 2 years. I drilled one-eighth inch holes and used pop rivets to re-secure the screen and frame and then re-installed the cover to the exterior wall after applying new "putty tape" to the mating surfaces. I tried to remove the AC unit because it is not well sealed around the top and sides. Insects such as bees, flies,etc can enter the TT from the edge gaps all around the AC unit. I did remove the metal trim piece held in place with one screw, but that did not assist in the removal of the AC unit. There are other fasteners holding the AC unit in place. I have yet to find them...good luck
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
My 145rb slx baja has the same type of ac unit and the same type of installation.
Mine also has too much of a gap on the sides and if/when I upgrade this A/C, I will definitely close those gaps... that would have been too easy to do at the factory.

Thank you very much for the information!

-Tom
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #4

I was able to remove mine by just removing the 2 screws from under the cabinet, and the one over the AC, it's a tight squeeze to pull it out, but it was done without removing the outside grill.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #5

THANKS for the response!
I have looked under the cabinet that you mentioned, but it looked as though I would need to remove the stapled in place small sheet of paneling which is on the bottom of the cabinet.
There are no currently visible screws under the AC cabinet enclosure for me to remove. Perhaps you can provide additional info.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
145rb, a/c, slx