Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

Removing A Furnace

I have a 2015 Whitehawk 27DSRL and need to remove the furnace to clean and sanitize due to a mouse nest between the heater tubes. Has anyone done the removal and how did you do it? Seems the furnace was installed and then framing and plumbing was put in around it.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
WH05.jpg   WH04.jpg  
Midicat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

Dealer had to remove mine to replace a control board as there was no outside access. Hardest part was cutting an access hole in front partition after carpeted front panel was removed. Was fairly simple to disconnect discharge chutes which just twist in place, disconnect gas line and electric and just slide out. Whole process took one guy less than 4 hours.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

I have same year/model. I've looked at it, but have not removed it. Should be able to disconnect ducts/gas line/control wires. Its fastened to the floor with screws. Its reasonably accessible except for the drain pipe running right in front of it. It looks more of a mess than it is because you have the power distro sitting next to it and all the wires feeding it.

My last trailer had it under the sink you could barely reach in and touch it.
210craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #4

Have you tried YouTubing it? here is a link to an older Suburban, different unit, but the concept should be the same.

Looks like you have a lot of room. You will need to disconnect the gas line, 12V power, thermostat wires, heat ducts. I wonder if you need to disconnect the outside furnace exhaust port or not. With that sewer pipe, I suspect it would be wise, and make the job a LOT easier. I suspect there is only a few screws holding the unit down to the floor.

Good Luck, take lots of pictures.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #5

Thanks and yes I have searched Youtube and any other info I could find. This photo will help show more of what the problem is. The furnace is offset to the right to be partially under the oven. I am not able to reach the right side of the furnace, can't reach the vent tubes or the unit fasteners. The wood face on the right has the fuse panel on it, wood is attached from the inside. Seems to me the furnace was mounted incorrectly and should be about 4 or 5 inches to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
WH06.jpg  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #6

You could pull the distribution box. Pull the front plastic piece then 4 screws. There quite a bit of wire slack. You would be able to get your hands in there. Realize there is 110v coming in there. Easy to identify 110 is Romex wire. From there you could disconnect the duct between the pd and the furnace. Remove outer plastic vent piece and you have another hole to work with.

I guess if worse comes to worse you could pull the oven.

You can pull the panel under the shelf under the sink. That’s a little bit away from the heater, but you might be able to get some eyes on it to help figure out.

When the factory installs it’s probably done before the fridge or the stove goes in.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Unit fasteners are only on the front, facing towards you. Discharge tubing just twist off.
Gas line is also visible for removal. Wiring also disconnect easy (write it down or mark it).

When re-installing be sure the exhaust-tubing fits correctly.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

Thanks again, I will remove the dist panel and the vent and see what kind of room this leaves, should be enough to get in. I will also remove the outside vent to allow the furnace to move.
The only way I can figure the mice had access was through the underfloor heating vent and then direct into the furnace. Will take off the bottom corolite panels and fix this as well.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210craig View Post
I guess if worse comes to worse you could pull the oven.
I've pulled an oven out. Not too hard.
Gas line and mounting screws.
The stove top comes off by pushing it back against spring clips , then lift the front off then the back.
Disconnect the gas.
Take the door off so it isn't as heavy. Comes off just like the one in your house.
Remove the mounting screws and lift out the unit.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #10

I agree about how the mouse got in. I guess it could have got in via the vent. I’m not sure a mouse could get in that way. Do you have a screen over the vent? I was standing by my trailer not long ago and I saw a dirt dauber land on the vent pipe and go in. I got a vent screen and I noticed a few days later the screen has 4 dirt daubers inside the screen dead.

Since you post I’m going to disconnect my duct going into the belly. I live in south Texas so I’m not worried about tanks freezing.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #11

This may be the dumb question of the day. But I don't know where my furnace is, I can't find the damn thing in this RV... I have a 2011 Pennacle and all the videos I have seen, show most furnace placement are under the fridge, but all I have is a cabinet I use for my cooking pot tops and pan lids. I have vents in the stairs going to the bedroom and up to the bathroom, but I have no idea where the furnace is located??? I hate to admit, I am fairly handy and can fix and repair most problems I run into, but this one has me stumped... This IS the first RV I have ever owned... So, at risk sounding dumb and confused, can anyone point me in the direction of that furnace... I have worked on the water heater, but not the furnace for obvious reasons... Thank you in advance... Stumpy
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #12

Find the vent outside that will get you in general location. Go inside it’s in a cabinet around that location.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Find the vent outside that will get you in general location. Go inside it’s in a cabinet around that location.
X2... The outside vent for the furnace is very noisy when your furnace is running. You will hear it without a problem and feel the heat from the exhaust.

Inside the trailer there may be nothing special about the panel that hides the furnace. The panel concealing our furnace is below the fridge and happens to have louvers, but I'm sure not all panels for furnaces have louvers.

I thought the louvers were associated with the fridge. I removed the panel when we had a mouse problem and saw the furnace along the outside wall.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #15

Thanks 210craig, I removed the vent cover and was able to twist the vent tubes off and get at the fastener on the bottom right. Did the power connections and pulled it oit. Pic 2 shows the remains of the nest stuck to the bottom of the furnace. It stinks and will need bleach to clean.
Thanks to all of you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
WH09.jpg   WH08.jpg