Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Removing a lift kit on a trailer

Hi folks,

I have a 2018 Jayco 264BHW which has the Baja Edition package which means it comes with flipped axles which I didn't want but I got a great deal on the new trailer. I have less than an inch of clearance pulling it into our barn so I want to put the axles back above the leaf springs and I was curious if anyone has any experience and insight on this. My biggest concern was can I just rotate the axle 180 degrees to where the leaf spring perch on the axle is now on the bottom of the axle instead of on top. The local dealer tech said I could but he sounded like he wasn't real sure as he said he hadn't had anyone want to undo an axle flip.

I know I also have to replace the 16" wheels/tire on it which pains me because they are new but won't fit with the axles in their new locations.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Coasty AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
eow

Removing a lift kit on a trailer

The axles have an arc in them for camber, so they cannot be flipped 180 degrees.

Why not drill new holes for the springs and equalizer an inch or so higher on the mounting brackets welded to the frame? May not have to change wheels then either.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
Site Team

First and foremost, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Jayco. As one Baja owner to another, I certainly hope that you can find another avenue than to spend a ton of money to "De-Baja" your Jayco. These units are pretty darn useful getting in and out of some tricky areas with the amount of ground clearance they offer. And frankly, every time I'm out somewhere with ours, someone asks me how I went about installing the lift.

Is the only issue you are having with it the head clearance going in to your barn? If so, how about just simply airing down the tires on your way in for a couple more inches of clearance?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

Darn you guys, now you have me rethinking my plans. I had read about the arc in the axle which was my main concern with doing the axle flip, I emailed Dexter axles to get their take on it. Ideally I wouldn't be doing this as the additional clearance is nice when going to more remote camp sites. Perhaps I just air down the tires for additional clearance and see how that goes.

Midnightmoon, I see you tow your Baja with a 1/2 ton F150. I recently sold my Ram 3500 and now tow with our Ram 1500 and the biggest difference is the bumper/hitch height. What kind of hitch are you using? I don't know if the weight distributing hitch I have will go high enough to tow the trailer level. Also did you put airbags on your F150?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 12-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Site Team

I use an Andersen WD hitch. They have multiple shank designs available and you will have no issue getting enough rise to accommodate the hitch height. I personally own both their 4" and 8" rise shanks and have one set for use with my F150 and the other for my Ram 2500.

No additional airbags or anything specific for the 150. I am at exactly 800# tongue weight loaded for travel and I have no issues.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 12-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Team

I found this picture of my F150 hooked to mine from a recent trip. It's probably not close enough to get a good look at the hitch setup, but it will give you a general idea.
Attached Thumbnails
20190729_103854.jpg  
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

Well I went and looked at my hitch and realize I can in fact use it inverted from how I've always thought I could use it after looking at MidnightMoon's set up. I'm going to stay status quo for now and perhaps dig the entrance way to the barn down a bit.

Thanks for all the help and input.
Pat
Old 12-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasty AV8R View Post
Well I went and looked at my hitch and realize I can in fact use it inverted from how I've always thought I could use it after looking at MidnightMoon's set up. I'm going to stay status quo for now and perhaps dig the entrance way to the barn down a bit.

Thanks for all the help and input.
Pat
It really depends on what you want to do but I'm very happy with my baja.

As far as flipping the axles you don't. What has been done is called a "spring over conversion" very common in older jeeps and trucks. You can certainly convert it back to spring under but it will take some welding for spring perches on the bottom side. The arc designed in the axle will need to stay in the exact same spot.
I'm towing with a 19 ram 1500 with the Eq 4 hitch flipped. It's meant to flip for adjustments.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #9

Not sure why putting the axles / attaching / above or below the leaf springs would have anything / affect the / axle camber factory bend. The axle orientation doesn’t change. I would be more concerned about wheel / tire clearance in the wheel well. Attaching the axles above the leaf spring base reduces the wheel clearances in the wheel well / trailer.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Not sure why putting the axles / attaching / above or below the leaf springs would have anything / affect the / axle camber factory bend. The axle orientation doesn’t change. I would be more concerned about wheel / tire clearance in the wheel well. Attaching the axles above the leaf spring base reduces the wheel clearances in the wheel well / trailer.
To accomplish what you are suggesting, the spring saddles welded to the axle would need to cut off and relocated on the axles. It can be done, but simply moving the axle from the bottom of the springs to the top will not work.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

just dig two trenches in the barn for the tires to fit in. once it was started you would not have to worry about bumping into anything left or right.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
It really depends on what you want to do but I'm very happy with my baja.

As far as flipping the axles you don't. What has been done is called a "spring over conversion" very common in older jeeps and trucks. You can certainly convert it back to spring under but it will take some welding for spring perches on the bottom side. The arc designed in the axle will need to stay in the exact same spot.
I'm towing with a 19 ram 1500 with the Eq 4 hitch flipped. It's meant to flip for adjustments.
I am happy with my Baja as well but wanted to get a bit more clearance going into the barn where I store it. I have already dug the approach down and I may go a few more inches down with a Bobcat since it's dirt to give me a bit more clearance. The axle arc would be a big challenge as I would have to weld on additional spring perches on the top of the axle as you said. I'd also have to replace not only the 16" tires but the wheels as well because they don't make a 16" tire that would give me the wheelwell clearance I'd need.

For all of those reasons I'm going to go another summer and see if I still want to do it afterwards. I do like the clearance off road as I don't drag it like I use to with some of our other trailers going into the more remote sites.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #13

I poured a new driveway. Had to raise the garage door 4" to get my SUV in.

Why not just raise the door a bit?
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #14

You can buy perches to add to the bottom of the axles, stitch weld them in place, just leave the old ones where they are. Place the axle on top of the springs and run the U bolts on either side of the perch. I would not want to go to 15" tires, do some measuring and see if you can make it work with 16" tires.

Rich
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #15

My sentiments as well
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote