Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #1

Renogy briefcase question

I ordered the Renogy 200 w solar briefcase and would like to use the solar on the side plug. I am wondering if anyone else is using this. I ordered the MC4 to SAE adaptor. I have a 2019 X23B. Also what gauge wire would you use for the extension? I am thinking of the 20 ft cord in hopes I can keep the kids away from it and still park in the shade when I can. I had found something at some point about the polarity being reversed. Not sure if that applied to the Jayco so I wanted to try and double check with you guys. Thank you in advance! I have already made so many upgrades to the camper from other people's threads figured it was time to start my own.
Lacey4178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #2

Others will give the wire sizing.
My advice, be cautious of gusty winds with a briefcase solar, My son’s blew over and broke the glass.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply! I am worried about this as well. I will have to figure out something to weight down the legs.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

My 100w Renogy briefcase works great. It comes with two alligator clamps on the end of the supplied cord. I wired up two external battery posts that lead to my battery bank so I could easily just clamp the leads onto them and charge away. It’s not a lightweight panel by any means and it takes a heck of a gust to move it. I’ve only had mine blow over once and that was my fault, 45 mph wind gusts, I should have stored it away. I love the fact that I can track the sun with it to supplement my roof mounted panels or use it to charge anything with a 12v battery. I’ve used it on my cargo trailer, my vehicles, and my tractor. It’s sat out in pouring rain so I can attest to it’s waterproof design.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #5

I love to hear that! I am starting with the briefcase and may add panels on the roof next year. I had not thought to add external posts. At least I will have an option if the adapter plug does not work. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey4178 View Post
I ordered the Renogy 200 w solar briefcase and would like to use the solar on the side plug. I am wondering if anyone else is using this. I ordered the MC4 to SAE adaptor. I have a 2019 X23B. Also what gauge wire would you use for the extension? I am thinking of the 20 ft cord in hopes I can keep the kids away from it and still park in the shade when I can. I had found something at some point about the polarity being reversed. Not sure if that applied to the Jayco so I wanted to try and double check with you guys. Thank you in advance! I have already made so many upgrades to the camper from other people's threads figured it was time to start my own.
Did you end up using the solar receptacle on the trailer tongue? I'm wanting to use that same kind of receptacle, but the wires and plug that come with the solar panel don't fit the Jayco receptacle (it has rounded corners versus the square corners on that come with the solar panel plug).
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Did you end up using the solar receptacle on the trailer tongue? I'm wanting to use that same kind of receptacle, but the wires and plug that come with the solar panel don't fit the Jayco receptacle (it has rounded corners versus the square corners on that come with the solar panel plug).
Our 2016 Jayco came with a plug in the book bag when we bought the trailer. I haven't ever used it I have my solar charger clamps to the batteries.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #8

We have a 2020 Jay Feather and the solar on the side has a sticker that says 20 amps max not sure if that will help with your wire question. I have not checked this yet but I believe ZAMP was always reverse polarity on the plug even though it was just an SAE plug. Not sure if this will answer question but I can see the back of the plug and red from battery is on the top and black is just a ground to frame.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #9

I didn't know about the "20 amps max;" that's nice to know.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I didn't know about the "20 amps max;" that's nice to know.
Now that is what the sticker says and the wire is rather hefty.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote