Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #21

A co-worker of mine just rented an 8ft PuP for his family vacation from a local RV place here in Ottawa. He said it was missing pieces, and in fact had issues with some things that were broken.

I would never EVER rent out my HTT. Now if my Kids or siblings wanted to borrow it I'd be fine. I wouldn't want to get it back from a renter half destroyed because of abuse.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #22

... and think how long it took you to get the tear-down/set-up process "just right", more than one trip I bet! Odds are that without prior experience there is a significant chance something will be forgotten or done wrong!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #23

I would never rent or loan my trailer and/or truck. Heck, I wouldn't even let my wife drive my truck and we've been together 40 years.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
annie oakly; you got all good answers from the members here. For me it would also be a definitely NO. Not even to my own family. Its your hard earned investment and someone else could ruin it in a second.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #25

Another no here. Just too much that could go wrong. What if they damage something and don't tell you? What if they wreck it in an accident? What if something else comes up and they can't bring it back? I've had to do spur of the moment field repairs on the various trailers we've owned over the years, I can't imagine a renter doing the same thing.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #26
Site Team

No way-no how!! There are places to rent units from pretty much all over. They're in that business, you're not. All that aside from the insurance issue, which will come back to bite ya!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
Ok how many people will rent their trailer out.
At work I have had a few people say I should rent my trailer out to our association.
I have worked to hard to get this trailer, And I an not sure I want someone who has no Idea what they are doing using the trailer.
I sometimes think, sure but then have second thoughts
I would let some people I know use it , But I would pull it and set it up for them.
Ok, quick question.... Do you REALLY want some one else sleeping in your bed?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #28

Hi

No I would not like any else sleeping in my Bed ( Maybe a 6 foot guy )
I have had a few people ask me. But I have said No
Even after my husband died, His sister In-law asked me to rent it to her and take it down to California to watch some baseball games. I said No
If it is going across the line, then I will be taking it.

It is the same with my insurance I can let the family use it. (Maybe)

I had the kid down the way asked If I wanted to sell the truck.
I said yes for $ 65.000. That is what it will cost to replace it and that doesn't include the boat. I told him I pull a trailer with it.

I was wondering what other people thought about this
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #29

I recall seeing a sign in a shop: " The only tool I loan out belongs to the tomcat and he always brings it back."
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #30

1.) as most on this site have posted, I would not be inclined to rent it out, especially if its fairly new like mine is. I might consider letting a really good friend/family use it who I knew would care for it AND I did the setup tear down (insinuating it was fairly local)

2.) if anyone DOES want to rent it out for any reason, there are sites online that help broker it and do some insurance protection. Do your own homework, but here is one Peer to Peer RV Rental, Rent Your RV - RVshare.com. Before we bought we actually looked at this site to rent a time or 2 but always ended up using a dealer who had rental trailers instead. Didn't seem like many people put them up for rent privately, which doesn't surprise me.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #31

No way. It is rude of them to ask!
SmokingGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #32

I know that I would NEVER rent or loan out our camper to anyone! I don't think they would take care of it like we do. Besides this is our personal space and I don't want anyone else staying in it.

Hubby, Me and Bossman makes three.

2007 Toyota CrewMax
2004 Jay Flight 27BH
Campit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #33

No no no no no no no. Not a chance.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #34

No one will take care of it as well as you. I think you'll be disappointed in yourself if you decided in favor of loaning. It's okay to say no.
WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #35

I have one close friend and his wife that I would allow to use it. Only after i take it to the site and set it up. He and his wife are considering camping and I offered with the thought that it might give them insight into whether camping was something that they would like or not. He and her are extremely meticulous. He is the ONLY one that I would consider.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #36

Yes you are right this is MY SPACE this is where I can sit down and do nothing. Read and drink wine in peace. I work too hard.
The old trailer we would let a close friend use it, we would deliver it and set it up for them. ( No truck) It was their family holiday up in the interior.
And I would let them use this one. but the same I would do the set up.
They know what this trailer means to me. They call it my horse.
They have two mini horses
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #37

There are very few people who i would trust to look after the trailer the way that people who own them and spend time fixing them do. At least if you break something yourself you dont feel bad fixing it. Its Murphys law too, that when someone else has it, the aircon (or something expensive) is going to blow up and you will have a stunned look on your face when you get it back.
That being said, I dont mind my kids using it now and then but they appreciate what it took to get it so look after it well.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #38

This works both ways good and bad.Last year a friend (no longer friends) offered to let me use his new to him TT.The thing was trashed,dirty,fridge didn't work,tanks were full!!!,no battery,heater was broken cabinets were busted,tires were shot,lost the keys.

I spent a entire week fixing and cleaning the thing.I offered to put a battery on it and 4 new tires if he would repay me(big mistake).He agreed but didn't pay me back till a few weeks ago.

Needless to say he got his trailer back in 100 times better shape then he loaned it to me in.The only thing that needed done when he got it back was flush and sanitize the fresh water tank(didn't know till I was camping water smells like rotten eggs) and fix heater.

How ever is anyone borrowing my trailer?? Heck no!!!!
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #39

Nope!

With our new Jayco TT, I won't even allow my husband to take it on his annual "Man Camp" tradition, where a big group of his guy friends all get together, camp, and drink all week. A few of them who don't own camping equipment slept in our old TT, and my husband brought it home with carpet and floors covered in mud, leaves all over the place, pee all around the toilet, and just generally filthy. No way will I let our new one be treated that way, and I told him that if he's going to go on "Man Camp" this year, that he's sleeping in a tent. He's not the one who has to clean up that mess.

So renting it to strangers? Nope!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspontiac View Post
With our new Jayco TT, I won't even allow my husband to take it on his annual "Man Camp" tradition, where a big group of his guy friends all get together, camp, and drink all week. A few of them who don't own camping equipment slept in our old TT, and my husband brought it home with carpet and floors covered in mud, leaves all over the place, pee all around the toilet, and just generally filthy. No way will I let our new one be treated that way, and I told him that if he's going to go on "Man Camp" this year, that he's sleeping in a tent. He's not the one who has to clean up that mess.

So renting it to strangers? Nope!
So.... is that a definite NO?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote