Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Repack wheel bearings.

Anyone that has done this themselves please advise. I have a 25 BH in storage yard & will be doing the repack there. I have 2 hydraulic jacks & 2 car stands. What tools should I bring with me. Storage is 35 miles away so no running back & forth. I have a complete tool set at home, gloves, towels hand cleaner, floor mat. What else do I need? Thanks!!
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #2

Read through this thread. Besides what people say they pay to have it done, you'll see a few who pack their own and how they do it.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

It's a fairly easy job, not many tools are needed. The hardest part is removing the inside seals. You need to pry them out, and do not damage the inner bearing. I usually use a couple small pry bars and a screw driver. Punch the steel seal rim (screw driver) and start to pry it out. I pulled one seal, then I go to Napa, and got 4 replacements.

Tool list;
Lug wrench
Jack
Jack stand
Large adjustable wrench maybe 1.5" jaw
Screw driver, slotted - removal of inside seal.
Small pry bar - removal of inner seal
Hammer - install new seal
Small piece of 2x4, maybe 6" long - to set the new seal, using the hammer
Paper towels - a lot, to clean the dirty bearings. At least 1 roll, better yet have 2.

Optional items;
Disposal gloves
Wd40 - larger can, works as a degreaser, remove the old grease from the bearings and seats. Spray it on and roll the bearings on the paper towel. Repeat as needed.
Oil changing pan - clean parts in it, holding place for parts
Brake cleaner - 1 can per wheel, removes light greasy films, and brake dust.
Trash can - for waste products.

Can't think of anything else.

Most modern TT wheel bearings no longer use castle nuts and cotter pins. But, it could. If you do have them, I use an awl to help pry them out. Also a side cutters to clip the cotter pins to help get them out.

There are lots of good YouTube videos on the subject.

Good luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

I've done bearing before on my older cars with drum brakes all around (1960-1970 era cars) & on a small jet ski trailer & they had the castle nut & cotter pin set up years ago. I guess these new set ups got away from that?? Thanks for the tool list also. I'll try & snap a few shots when done.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
I've done bearing before on my older cars with drum brakes all around (1960-1970 era cars) & on a small jet ski trailer & they had the castle nut & cotter pin set up years ago. I guess these new set ups got away from that?? Thanks for the tool list also. I'll try & snap a few shots when done.

In general it is the same as your old Jetski trailer. They appear now all have this funny retainer clip that keeps the axle bolt (forgot its name) from rotating.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

Before you start taking things apart check for smoothness and looseness when spinning the tire. After you disassemble and clean everything inspect the rollers and races carefully. I expect a smooth satin look to good bearings and races. I look for pits, corrosion, discoloration (a Blue-ish tint indicates high temp) and scuffing or wear. Any of those signs and that bearing/race should be replaced at a minimum.
Before starting the reassembly clean your work area and tools. As much as possible make sure that clean parts and clean grease are the only things that go back in.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #7

Here is a link to a video put out by Dexter on how to do bearings. If you have done it in the past not much has changed, a good refresher video. https://youtu.be/GnH-h3W9XvI
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote