Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 121
Repeat propane hose leaks

I was installing a full bottle when noticed a leak at my regulator but only when you pushed on the line at the regulator/swivel connection.

Surprised because this is a 2018 324BHTS I bought new April 2018, and ALREADY replaced one set of hoses...at first I thought junk hoses but wanted to share a small "possible" discovery once I slowed down.

Looking at how the lines rested all the time on the tank sides, it looks to me like the poor fitting gets beat up as you go down the road.

Quick visit to the bolt/nut bin and found a nut the same size as the allthread holding the bottles down, remove the allthread, install nut under the regulator bracket, and BAM, the lines are now held up about 1/2" off the bottles.

Maybe this is old news, but wanted to share.

I also did a little research and found MB Sturgis lines are USA made, and do not swivel (a plus in my mind) so two new MB Sturgis lines went on, and now I think I will get more than 9 months out of a set of hoses.
Attached Thumbnails
20200120_133755.jpg   20200120_133804.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Greg D.
Flower Mound, TX
gdecker715@gmail.com
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 246
It's interesting. Our dealer replaced the regulator and the hoses when we brought it in for warranty work; without asking them. They said it was a problem. Jayco paid so it,was real. Besides I actually like this dealer
__________________

__________________
Cliff and Annette
2019 Jayco 315RLTS Northpoint
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 121
Yeah they would fix it under warranty but the frustration level versus cost decision was an easy one. I use my trailer alot this time of year in TX for dirt bike riding so don't want to be without it for 3 weeks over $40.
__________________
Greg D.
Flower Mound, TX
gdecker715@gmail.com
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DonaandDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingston
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
Yeah they would fix it under warranty but the frustration level versus cost decision was an easy one. I use my trailer alot this time of year in TX for dirt bike riding so don't want to be without it for 3 weeks over $40.
I have and was supplied (shipped to my address) parts that were paid for by the dealer. Faster and easy repairs that the dealer did not have time for.

__________________
Don & Donna Stout

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Worcester
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
Yeah they would fix it under warranty but the frustration level versus cost decision was an easy one. I use my trailer alot this time of year in TX for dirt bike riding so don't want to be without it for 3 weeks over $40.
See if your dealer will swap the bad parts for new under warranty.. Then you'll have spares.
__________________
2016 Jay Flight 38FDDS
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
so don't want to be without it for 3 weeks over $40.
I ran into this a few times when my camper was under warranty. It simply was not cost effective to drag it all the way to the dealer for X amount of dollars saved. I fixed the problems myself as most of my issues were cheaper to fix than the cost of fuel to haul it to the dealer and back.
__________________
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2017 Ford F-250 FX4 Crew STX 6.2l
3.73 E-locker
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I ran into this a few times when my camper was under warranty. It simply was not cost effective to drag it all the way to the dealer for X amount of dollars saved. I fixed the problems myself as most of my issues were cheaper to fix than the cost of fuel to haul it to the dealer and back.
That was exactly my thought when I bought my rig. I chose to really beat up the dealer on price, to give me a buffer or cushion on dollars, if I needed some repairs. Reading all the horror stories of rigs sitting for weeks at the dealer, waiting for them to fix it, was never in the cards for me.

So, it's just cheaper and more cost effective for me just to buy the parts and fix it myself. Plus, then I know the repair was done the right way.
__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Screwby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
I was installing a full bottle when noticed a leak at my regulator but only when you pushed on the line at the regulator/swivel connection.

Surprised because this is a 2018 324BHTS I bought new April 2018, and ALREADY replaced one set of hoses...at first I thought junk hoses but wanted to share a small "possible" discovery once I slowed down.

Looking at how the lines rested all the time on the tank sides, it looks to me like the poor fitting gets beat up as you go down the road.

Quick visit to the bolt/nut bin and found a nut the same size as the allthread holding the bottles down, remove the allthread, install nut under the regulator bracket, and BAM, the lines are now held up about 1/2" off the bottles.

Maybe this is old news, but wanted to share.

I also did a little research and found MB Sturgis lines are USA made, and do not swivel (a plus in my mind) so two new MB Sturgis lines went on, and now I think I will get more than 9 months out of a set of hoses.
Mine had this nut on it to hold up the regulator from the factory. Maybe they got lazy on the day they made yours or slacker at the dealership didnít put the propane setup together right before you bought it? Curious to know if others already had it installed or I got lucky.
__________________
1999 Suburban 2500 4x4
2016 Jayflight 23RB Elite, Fiberglass, Polar Package
400w Renogy RV solar kit w/ Bluetooth, 100w Renogy solar suitcase
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 394
It seems that regulators and pigtail connections have gotten more cheaply made in the last few years. I did not have to replace one for a number of years and then all of a sudden I could not get one to work for more than a year before it would leak at a connection.
__________________

__________________
2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
2011 Cyclone 3010 Toy Hauler- Sold
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×