Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #1

Repeat propane hose leaks

I was installing a full bottle when noticed a leak at my regulator but only when you pushed on the line at the regulator/swivel connection.

Surprised because this is a 2018 324BHTS I bought new April 2018, and ALREADY replaced one set of hoses...at first I thought junk hoses but wanted to share a small "possible" discovery once I slowed down.

Looking at how the lines rested all the time on the tank sides, it looks to me like the poor fitting gets beat up as you go down the road.

Quick visit to the bolt/nut bin and found a nut the same size as the allthread holding the bottles down, remove the allthread, install nut under the regulator bracket, and BAM, the lines are now held up about 1/2" off the bottles.

Maybe this is old news, but wanted to share.

I also did a little research and found MB Sturgis lines are USA made, and do not swivel (a plus in my mind) so two new MB Sturgis lines went on, and now I think I will get more than 9 months out of a set of hoses.
Attached Thumbnails
20200120_133755.jpg   20200120_133804.jpg  
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #2

It's interesting. Our dealer replaced the regulator and the hoses when we brought it in for warranty work; without asking them. They said it was a problem. Jayco paid so it,was real. Besides I actually like this dealer
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #3

Yeah they would fix it under warranty but the frustration level versus cost decision was an easy one. I use my trailer alot this time of year in TX for dirt bike riding so don't want to be without it for 3 weeks over $40.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
Yeah they would fix it under warranty but the frustration level versus cost decision was an easy one. I use my trailer alot this time of year in TX for dirt bike riding so don't want to be without it for 3 weeks over $40.
I have and was supplied (shipped to my address) parts that were paid for by the dealer. Faster and easy repairs that the dealer did not have time for.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
See if your dealer will swap the bad parts for new under warranty.. Then you'll have spares.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
so don't want to be without it for 3 weeks over $40.
I ran into this a few times when my camper was under warranty. It simply was not cost effective to drag it all the way to the dealer for X amount of dollars saved. I fixed the problems myself as most of my issues were cheaper to fix than the cost of fuel to haul it to the dealer and back.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I ran into this a few times when my camper was under warranty. It simply was not cost effective to drag it all the way to the dealer for X amount of dollars saved. I fixed the problems myself as most of my issues were cheaper to fix than the cost of fuel to haul it to the dealer and back.
That was exactly my thought when I bought my rig. I chose to really beat up the dealer on price, to give me a buffer or cushion on dollars, if I needed some repairs. Reading all the horror stories of rigs sitting for weeks at the dealer, waiting for them to fix it, was never in the cards for me.

So, it's just cheaper and more cost effective for me just to buy the parts and fix it myself. Plus, then I know the repair was done the right way.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
I was installing a full bottle when noticed a leak at my regulator but only when you pushed on the line at the regulator/swivel connection.

Surprised because this is a 2018 324BHTS I bought new April 2018, and ALREADY replaced one set of hoses...at first I thought junk hoses but wanted to share a small "possible" discovery once I slowed down.

Looking at how the lines rested all the time on the tank sides, it looks to me like the poor fitting gets beat up as you go down the road.

Quick visit to the bolt/nut bin and found a nut the same size as the allthread holding the bottles down, remove the allthread, install nut under the regulator bracket, and BAM, the lines are now held up about 1/2" off the bottles.

Maybe this is old news, but wanted to share.

I also did a little research and found MB Sturgis lines are USA made, and do not swivel (a plus in my mind) so two new MB Sturgis lines went on, and now I think I will get more than 9 months out of a set of hoses.
Mine had this nut on it to hold up the regulator from the factory. Maybe they got lazy on the day they made yours or slacker at the dealership didn’t put the propane setup together right before you bought it? Curious to know if others already had it installed or I got lucky.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
CAG

It seems that regulators and pigtail connections have gotten more cheaply made in the last few years. I did not have to replace one for a number of years and then all of a sudden I could not get one to work for more than a year before it would leak at a connection.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote