Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2022, 08:51 PM   #1

replace front window with siding

i've got a 2018 174BH. had it a few months, taped and sealed up the roof and all seams on the sides. well it seems the front window didnt seal up well. its leaking when i'm driving in the rain. interior siding at lower corner of window is rippling, water dripping by window corner but down from a seam strip just below window. anyway this got me thinking.....instead of removing window and redo'ing the whole seal there, why not replace the whole front window with the metal siding. as if if was like that from the factory on this model? anyone done this? I dont like that front window, we never use it. rather it not be there but might be more trouble than its worth. anyone done something similar?
Krazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:18 AM   #2

I get ya but be careful doing things like that. Mainly, for resale value. People will realize it doesn't have a front window anymore and will be hesitant buying it. They'll wonder why it was done and regardless of reason, it'll depreciate it's value. Especially if a new buyer wants the window. But I am interested to hear if anyone has filled it in. Good luck.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I get ya but be careful doing things like that. Mainly, for resale value. People will realize it doesn't have a front window anymore and will be hesitant buying it. They'll wonder why it was done and regardless of reason, it'll depreciate it's value. Especially if a new buyer wants the window. But I am interested to hear if anyone has filled it in. Good luck.
Thats a good point about value that I didnt consider. However this is not a high dollar TT either. And one I plan to keep for a while. I dont think I would let that affect my decision in this instance. however I also dont plan to do this work myself. and I do want to be conscious of how much money I dump into this TT and what a change like this might bring with it that I didnt consider, like the resale value.

To give a bit more history on this, I just bought it in August. after a week of owning it, while parked in my backyard, we got a rainstorm and I found a drop of water on the inside front bed, right in the center of teh window. water was dropping from a seam in seal right at the top of the window. At that point I used proflex geocell all around the camper at every window, light, anything that would would be a potential leak point. however at the front window, I went completely around it with proflex, on teh outside edge of teh window seam. but only touched up a few places on the inside seam of the window seal.

I either (A) missed the leaking point, (B) its a large opening that wasnt filled in as I went over it or (C) its not the window and its leaking at a seam in the corrugated metal siding. I really think its the window and I either missed it or didnt get it.

I hate just throwing more proflex at it. but maybe thats the best solution, just caulk the entire front window, outside edge/inside edge, all seams through out it. Im just concerned about how this might look, as the caulking isnt a pretty sight and the more I put up there the uglier it gets. which makes me consider the option of removing the window altogether. we dont like this particular window, dont use it, and I think it just lends itself to issues like what we have here.

enough rambling...I'd like to hear if anyone has done this or something like it.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:54 AM   #4

Marker lights are frequent source of water intrusion. Is this a possibility?
Old 10-31-2022, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Marker lights are frequent source of water intrusion. Is this a possibility?
I think this is highly unlikely. Here's a pic of the front (not my camper but same year make/model). On the interior, the leak is just below the front window, like inches below, starting at the lower left corner ("J" side of the window) and tends to move towards the outside as it progresses down, on the left side in this pic. it doesn't appear to be big leak but def leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Jayco 174BH Front.jpg  
Old 10-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #6

I have a slightly different trailer (175RD), but same front as pictured, same window. The window seal on mine ( the seal directly against the glass, under the hard cover) was pulling away when I got the trailer. I pulled the seal completely out, and ran a bead of black silicone all around the window, and pressed the seal back in place. Used blue painter tape to hold the seal in place while the silicone cured. Maybe this will help?

Also, there was not enough exterior caulking on mine, above the drip edge above the hard exterior cover. I added more dicor there.
El Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:42 AM   #7

My front window (195RB) was leaking on the way home from the dealer. Added a ton of Dicor, ran through a driving rain at 65 and still leaked. At night ran a flashlight along the seam and it showed on outside on one corner where the leak must have come from. The rubber seal just did not meet the corner as hole was to big. Applied a lot more Dicor non-sag and finally got it sealed.
As to replacement, I wish it was never there as we never use it. No way to open (fixed pane of glass) and hate to wake up with sun in my eyes. Now have a piece of vent insulation, a foil faced bubble wrap between the window and the rock shield. Keeps out a lot of heat also.

Some one other than the designed must like it so removal is probably not a good idea.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #8

I bought my Jayco BECAUSE it had the front window. When we first awake I pull up the shade part way and many times I can see a deer walking by.

My feeling is that if it opened there would be more issues trying to seal it. With a fixed window and some dicor it should seal up just fine.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote