Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #1

Replace standard vent fan

Hey All,

I was in the TT last night and noticed my vent fan was not working. We usually leave it on all of the time to keep air circulating throughout. When I push the center of it, it comes back on but them slows down to a dead stop again shortly after I release pressure from it. I could probably put some lithium grease on it temporarily but it will need to be replaced soon.

Is there a particular fan that I should replace it with in lieu of the little factory fan? I don't really think I need something that will lift the back of the TT off the ground or create a vacuum inside the TT, but I do want something that will thoroughly vent the TT. The original seemed inadequate from the start.

Thanks in advance,

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #2

I replaced both our vent / fans with Maxxair vents. Very happy with the air flow.

Another brand is Fantastic fans.

They are a little pricey but worth it. I did not get a fan with a remote or an auto rain close feature. I did install Maxxair covers, allowing the vents to left open in the rain.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #3

If you need better air flow, you need a different fan. A Fantastic Fan is an outstanding fan, but installing it requires changing the cowl... which means removing the caulking on the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157
My Factory fan in the bathroom was horribly deficient. Virtually zero air movement and very noisy. I upgraded to a Vortex 2 reversible. Noise level is slightly better but air flow if outstanding.

I have the Vortex 2 fan. It is an easy installation, all done from the inside, and no modification of the roof is needed.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
If you need better air flow, you need a different fan. A Fantastic Fan is an outstanding fan, but installing it requires changing the cowl... which means removing the caulking on the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157
My Factory fan in the bathroom was horribly deficient. Virtually zero air movement and very noisy. I upgraded to a Vortex 2 reversible. Noise level is slightly better but air flow if outstanding.

I have the Vortex 2 fan. It is an easy installation, all done from the inside, and no modification of the roof is needed.
This is the biggest concern I have. I am NOT interested in having to remove existing cowl unless absolutely necessary. The Vortex 2 is solid then? Easy install?

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
This is the biggest concern I have. I am NOT interested in having to remove existing cowl unless absolutely necessary. The Vortex 2 is solid then? Easy install?

shrp
CFM will be less with the Vortex. Install is easy and quick from what I have seen.

The Maxxair and Fantastic fans are a project. Mine took a couple hours per unit to install. The air flow is great and they are very quite when running at 40% or less. This still moves a tremendous amount of air compared the OEM unit. At higher speeds they are a little noisy but air flow is awesome.

I also saw one guy that bought 4 computer fans, wired them together, and installed them. He had the added benefit of having LED lights work as a night light.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:

shrp
I believe it took me about 1/2 hour to swap out my factory bathroom for the Vortex 2 (aka Vortex II). Check YouTube 'vortex ii vent fan upgrade' for several install videos.

We had a Fantastic Fan in the class B we sold when we bought our Jayco TT. The Vortex does not move as much air as the Fantastic Fan and the Vortex is not as quiet as the Fantastic Fan, but the Vortex is a HUGE improvement over the Jayco factory 'FINO' (Fan In Name Only ) bathroom fan.

When you look at the Vortex fans, note that there are 2 types; one is reversible the other is not. We have the reversible model.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #7

We are going to pull ours this spring and replace it with a MaxxAir Deluxe.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #8

Another vote for the Vortex replacement fan. Easy installation - it really helps if you have a helper. I leave mine running all the time while in storage to keep some air moving inside.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:

shrp
Your concern is totally unnecessary and unwarranted. Same size hole and same power source. The oem is a "stink" fan not an exhaust fan. It moves very little air. My favorite upgrade is a fantastic fan but there are other high volume vent fans.

Remove a few screws inside and remove the ceiling cowling. Cut the power cord and tape ends. Go on to the roof and remove a few more screws around the parameter of the vent frame and then gently pry up the oem vent assembly. Carefully , so as to not cut the roof material, remove any excess caulking. Following the simple instructions with the new fan, apply a new layer of sealant, position the new vent over the hole and after gently pressing it into the new caulk, screw it in place. Go back inside and reconnect the power cord to the new unit and secure so it is not hanging in the way of installing the new shroud. You may have to trim the shroud [very easy] so it will fit tightly against the ceiling. A few screws to hold it in place and you are done.

I would recommend installing a maxair vent cover over the new fan. Also an easy install. It allows you to leave the vent open during rain without getting wet inside.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

I replaced our bath vent with a MaxxAir Deluxe. Great improvement. Had a problem with the lift motor not working and the thing was about a month out of warranty. I called the factory and they sent me both the lift motor and new circuit board at no charge. Definitely impressed with their standing behind their product.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote