Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #1

Replace thermostat

I have a 2015 SLX 264 bow. Looking to replace the thermostat with one that is electronic and has led read out.
bobsamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #2

I used this one for my Coleman system. Does heat / AC. Very easy swap and also very accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/8330-3862-Col...9499435&sr=8-3
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I used this one for my Coleman system. Does heat / AC. Very easy swap and also very accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/8330-3862-Col...9499435&sr=8-3
Used the same exact one in my 2017 Greyhawk and love it.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:51 PM   #4

I just installed this one, works great. 5 year warranty

Heagstat H705 5-1-1-Day Single Stage Programmable Thermostat,1 Heat/1 Cool, with 4.5 sq. Inch Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R2HZZ4R..._xdHVEbQGNC836
Attached Thumbnails
95185EB4-B15C-4815-AB97-005C97953F37.jpg  
Old 05-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Used the same exact one in my 2017 Greyhawk and love it.
I ordered the same one and am trying to figure out how to pop or pry open the wire connectors so I can remove the original thermostat without cutting wires.

Any advice? Assuming if I can get one open without breaking it, I can pull out the old units face and just 'scotch-lock' or reuse the same connectors to install the new digital thermostat?

Just can't seem to get them apart!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsamm View Post
I have a 2015 SLX 264 bow. Looking to replace the thermostat with one that is electronic and has led read out.
Is your current AC controlled by the thermostat or does it have knobs on the ac unit. My 2017 SLX had knobs. It had to be upgraded to allow the wall mount thermostat to control it.

If your thermostat looks like the one pictured the front face should pop off. There’s 2 screws under there that attach it to the wall. When I removed mine the wiring was so tight behind it my only choice was to snip the wires.
Attached Thumbnails
91D75BAB-ABA4-450E-88F5-1607B4011E9F.jpg  
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

If there is enough extra wire in the wall just go ahead and cut the wires. Leave enough on the old unit in case there is a problem and need to reinstall it.

Jayco used Scotchlocks for everything in my rig. I had to replace all of my led overhead lights and every one was connected with a Scotchlock. Same thing around furnace and water heater. They must love the things.

Scotchlocks are great. You can usually pry them open and reuse if you don't have a supply. I personally have a supply of all sizes of different connectors.

When disconnecting the old thermostat make note on what color goes to what function. The color code Jayco used may not be the same colors as the instructions show. As long as you match the thermostat letter designations you should be fine.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #8

Need to run to H Depot or Lowe's to get some more connectors but looks like I will have to cut them anyway. Got them apart. Don't think I could disconnect the wires since they are 'bitten' into.

Thanks, we'll see how this goes and yeah, I noticed the Jayco wires mostly don't match colors.

One oddity was, the blue wire goes into a connector, then goes out to another one before it continues into the wall. Not sure why there is an interim connect and a 2nd wire.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 05-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
Is your current AC controlled by the thermostat or does it have knobs on the ac unit. My 2017 SLX had knobs. It had to be upgraded to allow the wall mount thermostat to control it.

If your thermostat looks like the one pictured the front face should pop off. There’s 2 screws under there that attach it to the wall. When I removed mine the wiring was so tight behind it my only choice was to snip the wires.
It was one of the standard, analog or sliding bar thermostats up front and in the bedroom. Just swapping it for a digital one. Hopefully!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--