Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2024, 02:42 PM   #1

replacement mattress for Jayco x17z

Last fall we purchased a barely used 2017 Jayco x17z hybrid. It is like new. However after sleeping in it 21 nights we find the original "folding" mattress is not nearly as comfortable as was the one in our 2006 Kodiak Cub Hybrid. Which, by the way, we towed 87,000+ miles and slept in nearly 500 nights.

Anyhow I would appreciate suggestions for replacement/sources for a mattress that will be of a much higher quality, firm and comfortable. Of course, it would have to fit and fold for storage when traveling.

Thanks so much!

hikinfool
hikinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:38 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!!

Asking for advice on this without knowing what size you and yours are, what type of sleepers you both are (side sleepers, back, etc.) and what bed type you like could lead you down a long road of buying mattress you don’t like. I. Did this and went through 3 mattress before my wife and I finally went to a Sleep Number store, layed in some mattresses and determined our sleep numbers and then went shopping for our mattress. Having that information was key in finding a good replacement mattress. We did buy a Sleep Number bed for the house so we weren’t just kicking tires but I don’t see anything wrong with testing out their mattresses.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:06 PM   #3

Thanks Jerry,

I didn't really expect anyone to select a specific mattress on our behalf. It was just a generic request for information from those who have replaced the factory mattress, in a Hybrid camper with something better. The mattress in our old Kodiak was original equipment and.... very comfortable. Perhaps the quality of my posting left something to be desired.

Bob
hikinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinfool View Post
Thanks Jerry,

I didn't really expect anyone to select a specific mattress on our behalf. It was just a generic request for information from those who have replaced the factory mattress, in a Hybrid camper with something better. The mattress in our old Kodiak was original equipment and.... very comfortable. Perhaps the quality of my posting left something to be desired.

Bob
No sir your post was good I think I came across wrong.

In my experience those who prefer soft or plush mattresses usually have a harder time finding something they like. For those who prefer the firmer side a foam mattress would probably be fine. Foam mattresses are notorious for growing mold in campers. Either way you might consider putting down slats. I put down 1”x2” wood slats spaced about 8” apart and so far (after a year) no issues with mold but I have a conventional mattress. Also in my opinion mattresses tend to be a little more firm than their rating. A medium mattress to me is kind of hard, etc.

For us we tend to like a softer mattress so I spent a lot of time laying on beds in a store. Finally found one at Mattress Firm and we are happy.

Opinions will of course vary.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:33 AM   #5

Thick memory foam topper, problem solved
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:40 AM   #6

When we had our X20E that was the one thing we didn't like. The mattress wasn't supportive enough, we felt like we were laying on the plywood. We bought a nice queen size mattress topper. Slept like a rock with this thing. We sold the trailer but still have the topper. We take it on some vacations still depending on where we are staying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote