Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #1

Replacement VIN

I recently purchased a used, out of state, TT. To meet my state's regulations, I had to have the trailer's VIN inspected. To my dismay, the only VIN I could find was on the road side wall. It was very faded and near impossible to read.
Fortunately I was able to get the VIN verified so that I could register the title.

My question is there any means to get a new matching VIN placard issued from Jayco? It will likely be a number of years before I trade up but there will come a time I will need proof that the paper work matches the trailer. There is zero chance that the paper on the side wall will be legible tomorrow, much less years from now.
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #2

I doubt Jayco could legally send a new placard. But I would contact them with your Vin number and ask.

You could get a set of punches. And punch the Vin into the steel on the tongue. In a few years from now it will be rusty and look original.

Usually there is another Vin number under the unit. I found a few hidden ones. The one I most recall is under the unit close to the rear passanger side.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #3

I looked high and low already. I find it difficult to believe that a paper placard is all that was issued however. Eight years old and the VIN all but gone. I would have expected something more permanent from Jayco. I'll look again. I do have a paper issued from a state trooper that he verified the VIN that I could fax to Jayco....

Stamping the VIN into the tongue is a great idea. That's what I expected to find. Without it being there, anyone could stamp any number there. Seems a little weak considering the investment and especially when it has to be verified to transfer the title.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

A google search of "Replacement VIN tag" turns up several companies that will supply a replacement sticker or embossed metal plate.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #5

The VIN sticker on our trailer was very faded; when I contacted Jayco to register the trailer with them they sent me a new sticker with my same Vin #.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

I think I'll try my luck with Jayco. I also have plans to purchase a letter stamp set and punch the VIN into the frame at the tongue. I hope this will eliminate problems in the future.

Considering the expense of TTs and their popularity, there should be something from the manufacturer that's more permanent. They are going to change hands at some point after all.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

I home built a tilting flatbed trailer to haul my snowmachine (snowmobile for those who don't live in Alaska) with. Because it was home built; in order to register and title it, I had to have it weighed and provide a weight certificate and then have it DOT inspected for road use. Then the state DMV gave me a VIN. I went down to a trophy shop and had a couple of VIN plates made with the information from the title and then riveted them in a couple of places.
My point is this. Take the information from your registration and go to an engraving shop and have the metal plates made and then rivet them on.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #8

No VIN inspection required in Mich, I doubt many states require it. On my 2016 Jayco there is a metal VIN tag on the inside of the aframe.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
No VIN inspection required in Mich, I doubt many states require it. On my 2016 Jayco there is a metal VIN tag on the inside of the aframe.
That seems like a much better location, and the metal tag will hold up.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

When we need to order a new VIN plate through Ford, a Ford representative hand delivers it to our dealership and must present when applying it to the vehicle. The old school rivets they use (on the dash of cars, trucks, etc.) are special. Not sure how Jayco would approach it but I'd imagine, similar.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #11

Since you have already had the VIN verified and you have a document to prove it, I'd just get a set of steel letter and number stamps and stamp the VIN into the trailer tongue (A frame rail) and be done with it. Hang on the VIN verification document for future use.

Those stamp sets aren't cheap so maybe you can find someone that you can borrow some from. https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-let...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, when you use those stamps you need to use a large enough hammer to make a good impression on a single strike of the hammer. If you try to hit it multiple times it comes out kind of blurry due to the multiple impressions.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

My VIN had to be verified because it was registered in another state. Had it been registered in my state, no inspection or verification would have been required. I have no idea what makes an out of state acquisition more suspect. All I know is it created quite a hassle. First I went to the local tag office to register the trailer. After waiting for an hour for my turn to be attended I was informed of the VIN inspection requirement. They had two tag offices within my county that I could pull my trailer to for such. I already have the trailer parked on a leased property and had zero interest in breaking camp and pulling it into the metro area. I then discovered that any officer of the law could do the inspection so I coordinated a meeting with a state trooper for the verification. Then... the VIN was all but lost to time. I was pulling my hair out... what little is left.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #13

Everyone in any vehicle industry is touchy about VIN numbers and simply sending out new VIN tags. If they did that, any car thief could simply get a new VIN number by asking for it and paying for the tag. But it's also for a whole host of reasons. Many standards organizations (ie: UL, CSA, etc) allow properly trained and experienced manufacturers to self-certify certain devices they manufacture, then put the organization's logo on the nameplate of the product. It works that way in the motor industry. If the motor manufacturer loses track of nameplates, and it appears to be chronic, the standards organization will pull their self-certification, and the company could take a heavy financial hit if they can't include that logo on the product. Old motor nameplates, and likely old VIN plates, must be destroyed in the process, usually by the manufacturer.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #14

I don't think the OP wants a "NEW" VIN but simply a replacement placard with the original VIN inscribed.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I don't think the OP wants a "NEW" VIN but simply a replacement placard with the original VIN inscribed.
Understood. But to the manufacturer, it could be a new VIN for that vehicle. If you were a crook, and stole a trailer, and the rightful owner of that trailer reported the VIN as stolen, you'd want to order a new VIN number for that trailer. So, you find a valid one on a similar trailer that has not been stolen, and simply request a new VIN tag matching the trailer that is NOT reported stolen, then affix it to the one that HAS been reported stolen so you can sell it. If they could do that with cars and trucks, there would be a much easier black market in salvage title vehicles.

This is why manufacturers are very reluctant to simply make a new VIN tag. You know you're not lying to them, but they don't know that.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #16

I understand that it should not be easy to obtain a new placard with an old VIN #. However, there should be some avenue to travel that will accomplish this. I know I'm not the only camper in town that has this problem and transferring the title at some point is a likely scenario in all TTs life.

I would not have had a problem had Jayco stamped the VIN into the frame or released the trailer with some other sort of permanent placard. I'm blown away by how little proof we all have of ownership of such a major investment.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbriar View Post
I understand that it should not be easy to obtain a new placard with an old VIN #. However, there should be some avenue to travel that will accomplish this. I know I'm not the only camper in town that has this problem and transferring the title at some point is a likely scenario in all TTs life.

I would not have had a problem had Jayco stamped the VIN into the frame or released the trailer with some other sort of permanent placard. I'm blown away by how little proof we all have of ownership of such a major investment.
Agreed. On a toy hauler I used to own, the only place the VIN was displayed was a frame stamp. They didn't even put a weight sticker on it anywhere. I went to take my driver test for a Class A non-commercial license, and the examiner wouldn't go anywhere until I could show him the weight declaration. Never got that accomplished.