Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #1

Replacing clearance light LED?

I recently noticed one of the two LEDs in our front clearance light is much dimmer than the other. Is it possible to replace the one diode or do I need to buy and replace the entire light assembly? If the former, how do I get at the diode? I am assuming you cut the caulk seal and pry/pop the lens off? Photo attached. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
9C738C21-65C6-48EA-8597-9EAA5502934D.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #2

I just replaced one of those style marker lights - due to being dim as well - but mine had a definite water line on the inside of the lens, so I didn't bother trying to fix it (yet) due to being in a time crunch for prepping for 2 different 2 week long trips. I got the new one @ e-trailer.

However, I did look at the components inside, and they are "surface mount" diodes, I suppose they are replaceable, with the right tooling and surgeon steady hands.... Please update to let us know how you make out.

And to answer your question, yes, cut the caulking and pop the lens off. I'd go ahead and remove the circuit board as well, which means removing the two screws that hold it on and removing the wiring connections to the main harness - then you can move it to your soldering station.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I just replaced one of those style marker lights - due to being dim as well - but mine had a definite water line on the inside of the lens, so I didn't bother trying to fix it (yet) due to being in a time crunch for prepping for 2 different 2 week long trips. I got the new one @ e-trailer.

However, I did look at the components inside, and they are "surface mount" diodes, I suppose they are replaceable, with the right tooling and surgeon steady hands.... Please update to let us know how you make out.

And to answer your question, yes, cut the caulking and pop the lens off. I'd go ahead and remove the circuit board as well, which means removing the two screws that hold it on and removing the wiring connections to the main harness - then you can move it to your soldering station.
Thanks. I have a feeling it’s like everything these days — you can’t fix it. You just throw it away and buy a whole new one. To match the one on the other side probably means buying the expensive JAYCO OEM one too.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Thanks. I have a feeling it’s like everything these days — you can’t fix it. You just throw it away and buy a whole new one. To match the one on the other side probably means buying the expensive JAYCO OEM one too.
Not too bad, the amber is 6 dollars cheaper than the red one I needed....

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig.../328-K-51.html
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
Not too bad, the amber is 6 dollars cheaper than the red one I needed....

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig.../328-K-51.html
Thank you! I was worried the aftermarket version wouldn’t match. Etrailer is great.