Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

Replacing Countertops

We took delivery of our special order 2015 Jay Flight 27RLS yesterday. This is our first towable RV having downsized from a diesel pusher we just were not using enough to justify the cost. I am considering replacing the countertops and table tops in the trailer. It is the only thing interior wise that I just really don't care for. I guess that's wrong, I am going to swap out the rockers as well, but that is because a Euro lounger will be more comfortable!

It seems like a relatively small amount of material to change out on the Formica. Has anyone done solid surface? Any concerns (weight, stress cracking from bouncing down the road) in doing so? I don't object to doing a nicer Formica, just thought maybe a solid surface would be nice upgrade.
FLGatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Um.. Solid surface like what? The cabinetry may not support solid surfaces, due to the extra weight. It could also void your warranty.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

JAYCO uses Hy Mac solid surface in the upper end units. It Holds up very wrll
Old 01-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

John LLRV, solid surface like a lighter weight Corian or something similar. I know there are thinner solid surfaces out there, just not sure of the brand names at the moment. Will check on Hy Mac as noted by Grumpy.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

It's too bad that the fuax granite look alike solid surface counter tops scratch so easily. In our last two trailers both counter tops scratched with nothing more than setting something sharp on them. We never used them for a cutting board. But with just general use. Even setting a metal spatula on it we got scratches. I'd much rather have Formica style for wear and tear. Solid surface definitely looks nicer. We had a dark version of SS in our 1st TT and it showed scratches worse than the light colored we have now in our 5er.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Roger that. Just wanted to make sure you were not thinking solid granite or something!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
It's too bad that the fuax granite look alike solid surface counter tops scratch so easily. In our last two trailers both counter tops scratched with nothing more than setting something sharp on them. We never used them for a cutting board. But with just general use. Even setting a metal spatula on it we got scratches. I'd much rather have Formica style for wear and tear. Solid surface definitely looks nicer. We had a dark version of SS in our 1st TT and it showed scratches worse than the light colored we have now in our 5er.
Years ago we did a kitchen remodel. We had installed a Formica (? not sure of the brand name) counter top. We picked a surface had a 'pebbled' texture (for lack of a better name) with a satin, non-glossy look. It did not show scratches from moving things on it etc. We were very pleased with it. If we decide to remodel, we would pick that style again.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am going to get a price on both Formica and solid surface (lighter colored--thanks for the heads up goducks). There is not much in the way of material, but a fair amount of fabrication. I think if I am going to replace the vanity top, I will go ahead and replace the plastic sink and faucet in there as well.

One of the places I called suggested granite since they would have remnants large enough to do it, but I just think it is a bad idea. Besides being all around too heavy, I worry about it cracking from all of the bouncing going down the road.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #9

I've made some cabinets from formica style laminate it wasn't all that hard, if you were thinking of DIY. Or call a countertop place. If you can deal with Stainless its not all that heavy as a sink. The place I got my supplies from gaved me a huge lanyard with all samples of what is available, its great and you can see the hundreds of styles. So those are available to take a panel home to the TT and look at it. A wooden edge attached to the countertop where the laminate overhangs it, then they can use a router to make a 45 degree edge treatment - this looks great and works well.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #10

Having been in the cabinet and countertop industry for almost 50 years I can attest to the quality of Hi Macs solid surface. It is made in Georgia now. Just make sure there is enough support under the top, not sure how well the original tops are supported. We have not picked up or unit yet, but the tops are one thing that bothered me. They are using Thermofused Melamine rather than a high pressure Lamintate ( Formica, wilson art, Pionite, Nevamar etc). To my way of thinking it's penny wise and dollar foolish...I will be replacing mine. The new laminate patterns are wonderful and would hold up well, even with some minor abuse. Much better than the TFM they use.
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #11

"I will go ahead and replace the plastic sink and faucet in there as well"

A good idea as our plastic kitchen sink has been replaced once already under warranty. Would have went with stainless but they replaced with the same type. I guess if it cracks again I will replace it with a stainless one.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #12

We replaced our home kitchen with Formica solid surface.(Not Laminate) It really is easy to scratch and it has cracked in a corner where it turns. We do not like it.
Do your homework.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #13

Jim, formica solid surface is polyester resin with ATH mineral filler. ATH is white in color, so when you scratch SS it shows a white line. The lighter the color the less scratches show. SS can be sanded to remove the scratches. As far as your top cracking at the corner, that indicates to me poor fabrication. All inside corners should have a radius and solid corner blocks under. If this is not the case I would contact the fabricator and have him look at it. If it is still under warranty I would call Formica and explain the situation.

Hi Max, Corian and many others use Acrylic resin with the ATH filler, Acrylic is not as "brittle" as polyester material, tho, the amount of resin vs ATH makes a huge difference. Avonite makes a "glass product" which is almost 100%% resin, and is much more brittle and subject to cracking with movement.

The lighter color SS materials are a good option for RV's. With adequate support underneath they will give you great service, and, they are easily renewed. I would get a matt or low gloss finish rather than a high gloss, as they are easier to care for. A scotch brite pad is the final sanding on both those finishes.

Good luck !
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #14

Lots of great info here. I'll research before I replace mine..
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #15

This is solid surface in our 2014 Eagle.

http://www.lghimacsusa.com/products/89/87

You can order through Lowes or Home Depot.

Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #16

Hopefully the current top is just screwed in place... It could get messy if they used an adheisive on the top of the cabnits...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #17

The laminate/Formica installer just left. Nice guy, was recommended by a close friend. Because he cannot replicate the rolled edges on the tops (particularly the dinette), he feels I would not be at all happy with the outcome. The way he would have to do the edges would show a black line and the laminate I chose is light in color, so it would be very noticeable. He was nice enough to measure and do a quick sketch to give to a friend that has a solid surface business. He said that he really thinks solid surface would be the best bet. I greatly appreciate his honesty, kind of rare these days .
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #18

You can use a wood edge on a laminate counter, or a laminate bevel edge. Both would hide the black line ( edge of the laminate) . That said I would prefer solid surface, only disadvantage is the cost difference.