Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Replacing jacknife sofa with recpro dual recliners

My 2015 Jayco 24rbs' sofa needs to be gone. I want to put a recpro 70" dual recliner in it's place. The sofa is mounted on a 14" high platform because of the slide out. If I put that recliner on it, the seat would be 33" high, which is not good. Does anyone know how I can replace that sofa, or is it even possible to do because of the slide out? That sofa is a real back breaker.
Thanks for any help
joe schorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #2

Ditto! my jackknife sofa sits on the heater platform. wondering if there is anything more comfortable to put in it's place, that will fit on that platform.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #3

Same here. My jackknife sofa has to go! But with the 14" high slide platform it's mounted on, there is nothing I can find that would work. I tried to convince my wife that it would be cool to install our favorite recliner and sit 30" high but she wasn't amused.
2011 Jay Feather 24T
JimJim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #4

I guess we're stuck with the sofa.....(not,,,). I'm going ahead and installing the 70" recpro dual recliner in cloth. Height be damned.....if I have to use a step stool, so be it. Nobody has to see it but me, and,(reluctantly) the wife....but we both agree about the sofa. I'll save the old sofa and re-install it if and when I sell or trade it in
Old 03-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #5

hahahaha! you go for it!

I don't have the headroom in my small trailer to be so bold!
Old 03-25-2021, 11:24 PM   #6

Okay, I spent about 3 hours on this and finally come to the conclusion that adding a separate ottoman/footstool while keeping the original jack knife sofa is the only reasonable option.
Here's what I did. I took my jackknife out, measured, inspected, protracted, etc to see what else might work. Then I searched the internet for any short or floor level recliners, rockers, gaming chair, captain chair, etc. etc. but never found anything that would work. Everything would be way too high...like 26" or higher. The 14" platform is pretty heavy duty construction so modifying it for some kind of recliner with foot rest, while it is possible it's not practical. So here's the other options I looked at.
Beanbag: Cool idea but I'd still need a foot rest. There's a few that might work on Amazon for a couple hundred bucks total. Also considered ONE beanbag and ONE swivel recliner...maybe even add a small pedestal table between them. But...
Swivel Recliner: Two of these would be nice but again, I'd still need a footrest. Aside from that I like the idea. I would also need to cover the exposed plywood platform with something and again I do like the idea of a small pedestal table. There's a few decent choices on Amazon for this setup too but would cost around $500 minimum.
I even looked at what it would take to mount a sliding footrest under the platform. I also studied the jack knife actuating mechanism to see if I could get the back half to recline just a couple degrees more but decided that's not possible. Now I'm just reaching for solutions so I paused and pondered a little longer and realized how well designed the whole travel trailer is and the quality too. So instead of butchering my trailer to win this battle I decided the best solution was to simply keep the original jack knife sofa and add a 10"x10"x16" ottoman from Amazon for $20. Problem solved...sort of.
JimJim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:01 AM   #7

Agree! That is what I did also...a small ottoman.
The lid comes off, so that also gave me storage for throws. Much more comfortable when you can put your feet up.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #8

Smile Jayco White Hawk, 24 RBS Ultra lite.

Well, I said the sofa had to go.....and it did. I purchased the Rec Pro Dual Recliner Console Sofa 70" and got it set up on that dang 14" platform. It looks a little weird, it blocks the window, but man is that thing comfortable. We use a small hassack to assist with the height, but the installation went well. We still have about eight inches of headroom from the cabinet. The wife and I camp a lot and like to watch our favorite tv shows at night, so, in that aspect, we made the right move. Like I said before, if and when we sell or trade up, the old sofa will be reinstalled.
My picture was more jpegs than allowed, can't send. Will find another way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210524_135819732.jpg  
Old 10-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #9

in the slide??

so your couch was in the slide? we have 2014 24fbs. it is in the middle of the trailer. I made the mistake of getting a good deal on recliners but didn't look under the couch. we have the furnace vents under there. So Have to build a platform also. the couch is uncomfortable even with a foot rest! Looks like a 10" platform will clear everything. Has anyone else felt with this?
Attached Thumbnails
5F3F9375-F768-4903-A6B8-29EAB0293DB0.jpg  
iAmRockinRich is offline   Reply With Quote