Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Replacing Outer Skylight Cover !!!

When placing a full ADCO cover on my RV for the summer months in SW Florida I noticed a crack in the outer skylight cover over the kitchen area on my 2015 Jayco Jayflight 33RLDS. (Skylight 14X30)
My question is, there is a hard grey epoxy/sealant around covering the flange & screws on the original one approximately 2-1/2 to 3" wide. What would I use to remove it without harming the roof.
Any suggestions an or instructions would be appreciated. I purchased a smoked one 17.5"x33.5" flange to flange.
Thanks,
John

PS: No photos taken & I am back at the Jersey shore till November. (6 & 6) Posted in repair section with one suggestion so I decided to move here.
Whistler61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #2

Putty knife, carefully. Get what's on the screw heads off, remove the screws, start prying up on the skylight and eventually it'll let go. Then to clean the remaining sealant and butyl, putty knife again. Some use a plastic one, but metal can be used if very careful. Tons of YouTube videos on replacing skylights. Any roof penetration is pretty much the same.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

On my last camper I had to replace the outer skylight for the shower. I noticed that it had a crack and I decided to replace it. I tried the putty knife but it wasn't working for me. After about an hour without any luck, I decided to get my wife's hair dryer. I carefully heated up one area and it peeled up without any problem. It was all off within 10 minutes. I don't know if I would use a heat gun. A hair dryer worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #4

Definitely safer bet with hair dryer. Heating the area with butyl will definitely make it soft and release better. Good tip to follow after the screws are removed.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:34 AM   #5

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Just received smoked skylight and it came with a 10.3 oz tube of SR140 Skylight sealant from SR Specialty Recreation. After removed and cleaned I will apply SR140 and place skylight with screws any suggestions on what to use over top of flange area for a complete seal.
Thanks again,
John
Whistler61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #6

I used dicor lap sealant. I put a bead on on the roof following the existing screw holes. Sealant should come through the screw holes on the new skylight. Screw it down. Then apply more sealant around the perimeter of the skylight and over the heads of the screws. You can find videos on YouTube that will show you as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #7

Double check on what kind of roof you have but most people use Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant.

As I mentioned in my post on the other thread. Take a look on YouTube. There are videos where people have replaced fans which the process will be basically the same. You don't have the electrical stuff to mess with so it is easier.

https://youtu.be/slZHytYrub8?t=174