Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Residential deadbolt locks

Since we leave our new TT in an unattended storage lot I am thinking we need to install a residential deadbolt door lock for added security. Has anyone done this and if so any feedback is appreciated on what you used, etc...

Thanks !
2016 F250 CC 6.2L (gas) 3:73 diff
sportsmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #2

There's little readily available to attach to, unless you bolt all the way through the interior, and then put a backer-plate in the interior. Otherwise, it'll just pull-out of the panels. I did a bolt-through with an interior backer made of oak, a few years ago, on a previous unit. The dealer-added handrail had pulled loose, there was nowhere substantial to reattach it. The bottom backer plate was inside a dinette seat, right next to the door, but the upper one was visible. I turned it into a small, enclosed box that was a key storage box.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

If I was to break into an RV I'd go up on the roof and chop a hole. Or maybe bust a hole from the bottom side. To casual observers that'd be nearly invisible until someone actually went inside. That's why (unless we're inside) my camper remains unlocked at all times.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Deadbolt

We are on the road in new Seneca for the next month, but I intend to install a residential type deadbolt with key when we get home. My current plan is to put a backer plate on the inside of the door as well as strengthen up the door frame where the bolt will rest. I will post pictures of the project
Senecarb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

I wouldn't worry too much about the doors. There was a rash of break ins in our area over the winter. My lot did not get hit, (24 hr onsite owner, lots of monitored video), but many others did. Apparently they always just busted in a window to gain access. Usually hit the larger MH's and took the electronics, esp. big screen TV's.

If they want in, they'll get in. If you try too hard to stop them, they'll probably just do more damage to your unit trying to get in.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
If I was to break into an RV I'd go up on the roof and chop a hole. Or maybe bust a hole from the bottom side. To casual observers that'd be nearly invisible until someone actually went inside. That's why (unless we're inside) my camper remains unlocked at all times.
A few years ago I was looking at a storage facility near my home and there was a spot next to a 5th wheel. While I was checking the spot out the owner of the 5th wheel comes out and tells me he had been broken into and they took everything! They came in through the roof vents. Once in, they unlocked the side door and cleaned him out!.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

I doubt an additional deadbolt would provide any more security than the deadbolt most RV's already have from the factory.

I always wondered why so many people put all kinds of locks on their house doors when all you have to do is move about a foot over from the door and all that's there is a little siding and some half inch sheetrock.

If a thief wants in the RV there's usually a large picture window that's fairly easy to knock out.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #8

Too Many Keys

My main reason for installing a deadbolt is that there are too many keys floating around that open the standard door lock. When we were picking up our unit, they couldn't immediately find our keys, but were able to open the lock with two other sets of keys. With our dogs and other items inside, I just want to make it impossible for someone to walk up and use their "Rv master key" for an easy entry. Let them have to work at it.
Senecarb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #9

Well, for that all you need to do is rekey. A few options mentioned on other threads here, but there is a company that will send you new matched cores for all your locks. It appears to be a pretty easy upgrade. A quick search should pull up a couple of options.

Previous owners of our TT appear to have done this as the dealer didn't have a match for the door locks and it has a non-Jayco style key. Of course previous owners didn't change the bunk end locks, and the tenting just zips open, so I don't think they got much security for their money...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senecarb37 View Post
My main reason for installing a deadbolt is that there are too many keys floating around that open the standard door lock. When we were picking up our unit, they couldn't immediately find our keys, but were able to open the lock with two other sets of keys. With our dogs and other items inside, I just want to make it impossible for someone to walk up and use their "Rv master key" for an easy entry. Let them have to work at it.
Try this instead. It would be a lot easier to install.

http://www.amazon.com/Products-013-5...c+rv+door+lock
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote