Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

Residential refrigerator and inverter power

So I am confused about how the full sized refrigerators work when unplugged from shore power.

While RV shopping I’ve heard just about every answer from one end of the spectrum to the other. All I’ve learned is that the salesman usually don’t know their products very well.

One told us they simply don’t work when not plugged in. Another said it’s not the RV battery but a little battery inside the inverter. Another told me the inverter is powered by the 12 volt pin in the 7 pin connector.

What I understand, and please someone correct me if it’s wrong, is that the inverter automatically kicks on and powers the fridge when shore power is disconnected. The batteries, I have two 12 volt deep cycle Interstates, provide power to the inverter. The TV provides a trickle charge to the batteries.

Like I said, some one that knows for sure please clear this up.

Camper is the 2018 North Point 377 RLBH; TV is a 2013 RAM 3500 4x4.

Thanks

Vic
Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperdoc View Post

What I understand, and please someone correct me if it’s wrong, is that the inverter automatically kicks on and powers the fridge when shore power is disconnected. The batteries, I have two 12 volt deep cycle Interstates, provide power to the inverter. The TV provides a trickle charge to the batteries.

Thanks

Vic
Yep, you got it.

Only thing is there may be a button that needs to be pushed to have the inverter on or in standby mode. Not sure what JAYCO is using now. Our 2015 had a switch along with the Inverter voltage read out panel.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Yes on the switch. I was told I may or may not have to use the switch. It is in case, for some reason, I don't want the fridge on.

A few days before the last trip I threw the breaker on the 50 amp shore power and the fridge still lit up when I opened the door so I knew the inverter had kicked on.

Thanks

Vic
Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperdoc View Post
It is in case, for some reason, I don't want the fridge on.
Yeah, you might be From England and like your beer on the room temp side.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

Inverter is running all the time! Power to the frig is run through the inverter. inverter charges battery and will convert to battery power when it no longer senses shore power.

Our inverter was wired wrong to start with.. was powering the fireplace (LOL) of course that draws more that the inverter can handle so blew the inverter. have had lots of time figuring out haw the inverter works!

FYI. if you open the battery kill switch the entire camper will be "DEAD" even connected to shore power!

All power goes through the inverter!!
makingmagick is offline   Reply With Quote