Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator - Inverter Issues

JAYCO 330RSTS Inverter Issues

We took delivery on the Jayco in mid-November 2017 and took it on its maiden voyage over Thanksgiving to an RV park 40 miles from home. NOTE: This is our first travel trailer with a residential refrigerator. All prior travel trailers have had an absorption refrigerator. Everything worked well until we started home. The refrigerator would not power up on battery power through the inverter. Instead of going home, we drove directly to the dealer and he diagnosed the problem as a loose neutral wire leaving the inverter to the refrigerator, he fixed it and we proceeded to our home where we connected the travel trailer to our 50 amp shore power.
The refrigerator worked perfectly and in February we took the Jayco on a 3 week trip to Florida. There were no issues until we arrived back at home. We noticed that the refrigerator was off and even plugging in shore power failed to send power to the refrigerator. We unloaded the refrigerator and took the trailer back to the dealer for the second time to correct inverter related refrigerator issues. The dealer fixed the issue with the inverter, we picked it up and returned home. All was fine for the next two months.
In April we took the Jayco on another 3 week trip to a state park about 70 miles from home. Initially all was fine, but then the breaker to the refrigerator would trip when we were making coffee. We relocated the coffee maker and reset the breaker. A few more times the breaker tripped, we reset it and we were able to finish the vacation. However, when we got home, the refrigerator would no longer power on, no matter what we did. The inverter was not providing power to the refrigerator circuit. We unloaded the refrigerator and took the Jayco to the dealer for the third refrigerator/inverter related issue.
The dealer analyzed the issue and determined that Jayco had not wired the refrigerator circuit properly at the factory. Only the refrigerator was supposed to receive power through the inverter, however Jayco had multiple devices on the refrigerator circuit. The dealer corrected the issue and provided a dedicated circuit to the refrigerator through the inverter. The television, entertainment center and kitchen counter receptacle by the stove were placed on a separate breaker not receiving power from the inverter. Again all was fine – for 6 weeks.
In early June we set out on another 3 week adventure to northwest Arkansas. Our first stop was in Vicksburg, MS and when we got to the RV park, we found that the refrigerator had stopped working somewhere in between home and Vicksburg. No breakers were tripped but the inverter was not sending power to the refrigerator. I removed the drawer from under the stove, found the power cord to the refrigerator and using an extension cord, I was able to get the refrigerator running on a receptacle that was powered through the campground’s 50 amp service. The refrigerator would run, but not when on the road between RV parks.
The next morning I called the RV dealer and he suggested things for me to check. I removed the artificial fireplace to gain access to the junction box located behind it and verified that all wire connections were tight and that there were no loose wires. That did not correct the inverter power issue. I then checked the ROMEX wires entering and leaving the inverter. The neutral wire leaving the inverter was loose and fell out. I guess road induced vibrations and the fact that the inverter was mounted on the ceiling of the pass-through storage compartment in the front of the trailer, allowed the wires which were just pushed in rather than being held in place with screws, to easily come loose. I called the dealer back for assistance. They suggested changing the wire jumpers from the trailer wiring to the inverter from 14 gage to 12 gage as the larger wire should fit tighter into the inverter’s push in connector blocks. I drove to the closest Home Depot, bought a 15’ length of 12-2 ROMEX and tried replacing the jumpers. This did NOT correct the issue. The holes in the push in connectors had worn to the point that the larger wire would not make a good connection.
I went back to Home Depot and purchased a 15’ of 10-2 Romex, only to find that 10 gage wire would not fit in the holes in the connection block. However, I was able to cut the copper wire on an angle to provide a wedge that I could force into the connection block. Success! This saved our vacation and the inverter continues to function with my PATCH.
Today I called the dealer as he said when I spoke to him from Vicksburg that Xantera had changed the way wires were connected from the use of screws to the push in and pray method but he thought he had a unit in stock with the original screw connections. He would change out the inverter to it once I returned. When I called today to set up the exchange, I was told that Jayco said that they had no reported issues related to the Xantera inverter or the method of wire connection to it. The dealer is still in discussions with Jayco relative to authorization for Jayco to pay for the exchange.
At this point in my owner of a Jayco travel trailer with a residential refrigerator, I would not recommend the purchase of either. I wish I had stayed with my prior non-Jayco travel trailer.

Has anyone had similar issues with their inverter? I can't be the only one!
JackHuerkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #2

We have not had any similar issues but I would recommend that you contact Jayco with all of your documentation related to this issue - the motorized side of Jayco is is very customer friendly and willing to stand behind the issues ( my dealer would say that they couldn’t believe that Jayco would make several of my repairs but they did ) many times i think that the dealer thought that the answer would be no so they didn’t even ask Jayco
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

Residential Refrigerator - Inverter Issues

Les,

Thanks for the reply. This is not a motorized Jayco. Rather it is a 39' travel trailer that we pull with a GMC3500 Denali Dually. I will contact Jayco as well as the inverter manufacturer as I feel they both need to get involved in the resolution of this issue.

Yours truly,

Jack
Old 07-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Team

I read a lot online and your complaint is not a common one. I can hear the frustration in your post but I don't see any reason to abandon Jayco. Something has changed and wires that come loose are not a insurmountable problem but from your information, it appears that it is?

Sure hope someone can determine and make the repairs permanent.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #5

I would agree that getting wires to stay properly inserted into the inverter should not be an issue. But to date three trips to the dealer to correct this issue have not resulted in success. I just contacted Xantera who made the Freedom XC inverter in the 2018 Jayco 330RSTS to see if they can come up with a solution that they can pass onto Jayco.

Pushing a wire into a hole to make a connection may save on assembly time at the factory; but when you factor in bouncing down the roads in this country, maybe a slower but more secure method of cable attachment should have been used.

Yours truly,

Jack
Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
It’s Xantrex, not Xantera. We too have the Frigidaire residential refer in our 2017 Jayco North Point 377 RLBH. We’ve not had your symptoms nor troubles. It came with the 1000 watt Xantrex inverter and two dealer installed group 24 batteries. With that, we actually made 10 hr journeys and it ran perfectly. But as time wares on, the batteries lose their capacity and when voltage drops to 11.8v, the inverter will shut down to protect the device running. We went into Jayco Service in Middlebury Jul 2017, for other warranty items and without complaint, they replaced the inverter with an 1800 watt Xantrex model, said they found it wasn’t performing correctly to specs. We’ve since added a group 27 Walmart battery to the mix and have gone 12+ hrs without reaching the 11.8v mark.

I’ll also suffice to say that it’s interesting that every 110v outlet in Jayco rigs uses the wedge-in connectors like this:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9284.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	41741
Ultimate space savers, and incredibly totally reliable. It’s unfortunate that Xantrex, not Jayco, is to blame for a poor design connection that happened 3 times in a row. Then other errors get discovered in the process. I think that is par for the course in most rigs manufactured. They get built in 4 days. When it comes to dc electricity in today’s sophisticated vehicle electronics, it can be very tough to diagnose the actual culprit when a malfunction occurs. Example: I’ve recently spent $1200 out of pocket (parts, labor, 7 day RV campground rental-outside other reservations) and a whole week for pro diesel mechanics diagnosing many DTC codes to a 5v rail reference issue(mechanic lingo for a dozen engine sensors on a party line) in my 2007 Dodge Ram diesel dually. They did everything by the book (inspecting and cleaning all grounds) could not pinpoint the actual culprit which was a defective $20 exhaust pressure sensor, and the $8 tool to remove and replace on my own....by reading many fantastic forums like this one.

So you must persevere through these trials because we absolutely love our 23 cu Ft fridge and how it enables us to not have to go to the store every two days. Keep reading and you’ll find great ideas and info to help yourself and then post to help the next person in line.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #7

Thanks. I did confuse the name. I had it confused with the company that did reservations at the Grand Canyon and other places we have camped at (Xanterra).

The wedge-in connector you supplied a picture of and the way the wires are pushed into their sockets in the Xantrex inverter are very different. I dare say that if Xantrex used a similar push in connection, there would be no issues. With the push in connections you show, there are multiple points of wire contact. With the push in connections on the inverter, unless the contacts have been damaged from repeated attempts by the dealer to get the wires to properly seat, I only see one metal edge that the wire has to seat against - not opposing edges that lock the wire in place. I have contacted both Xantrex and Jayco (as well as my dealer) to see if this issue can be repaired once and for all.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #8

Yea I have had a similar problem just recently,but my Camper has been sitting still. The wife and I are living in our 327CKTS while our new home is built. My frig would just cut off and I would check breakers fuses gfci to no avail.after about a week I got my meter out to check the inverter and found a loose wire. Hate it happened to you but I no longer feel like a lone wolf. At least if jayco knows there should be a bulletin to all dealers so when you ask about this problem they could tell you.
Addrake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #9

You both may have the same Xantrex 1000 Inverter I started out with and possibly the reason Jayco Service switched it out for the 1800 watt model? We been full timing since day one and only once we had an error code from the 1000w model, when we arrived at a campsite. Sorry if I didn’t mention it before. However, I’ve not taken the cover off either unit to see how the main cables were connected.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #10

Yesterday I Faxed what I had posted to this forum to Xantrex and I also contacted JAYCO and copied them as well. I have not heard back from JAYCO, but this morning I received a telephone call from Don Wilson, Sales Applications Engineer for Xantrex. He had reviewed the issues I reported and said that when the wires are properly installed in the unit, they should not fall out. In fact, one should have to insert a small screwdriver into the square slot next to the round wire hole to free the wire. He said that many of the dealers have not been properly trained in how to service the connections and he referred me to a few YouTube videos he posted on the Xantrex unit installation procedures.

I mentioned to him that the unit was improperly installed by JAYCO in that proper spacing between the unit and adjacent walls was not followed. There was no gap between the Romex wires entering and leaving the unit and the bulkhead wall of the pass through storage. This was corrected by my dealer the second time I had the unit in to the dealer.

Another issue was the short jumper wired with wire nuts connecting the Romex to the inverter. He said jumpers with wire nuts were not needed and that the Romex wires should have been directly connected to the inverter. He said that if jumpers were used, they should have been 6" to 9" long to facilitate manipulating the wires back into the box.

My dealer called this afternoon and set up an appointment for me to bring the trailer in for them to look at and correct the inverter wiring issues. Hopefully this will solve once and for all the refrigerator loosing power.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #11

Glad to hear the manufacturer is stepping in the ring to get this mess straightened out. I hope your dealer comes through this time around. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #12

Both the inverter manufacturer and the dealer called me yesterday regarding the repeated issues with lost power to the residential refrigerator. So far no response from JAYCO to my request for assistance.

Hopefully my dealer with Xantrex's assistance will resolve the issue. I will let the group know what happens.

Yours truly,

Jack Huerkamp
Old 07-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHuerkamp View Post
Both the inverter manufacturer and the dealer called me yesterday regarding the repeated issues with lost power to the residential refrigerator. So far no response from JAYCO to my request for assistance.

Jack Huerkamp
If the dealer and XANTREX are working on it why would JAYCO get involved? If it turns out to be a bad/improper install your dealer and/or XANTREX should document and send it to JAYCO.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #14

JAYCO built the trailer.

They installed the Xantrex unit improperly per the inverter manufacturer's installation manual, the dealer relocated it and on three occasions attempted to rectify the loss of power.

The fourth time there was a loss of power through the inverter, the dealer contacted JAYCO for assistance. JAYCO responded that they have hear of no similar issues.

The inverter manufacturer's sales engineer said that the proper procedure would be for the ROMEX lines to have been connected directly to the inverter without short pigtails and wire nuts.

The dealer and inverter manufacturer are trying to rectify the situation. It would be nice if JAYCO would acknowledge that one exists.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #15

Based on your earlier comments about the dealer "rewiring the circuts and relocating it" my money is on one of their "super techs" adding the pigtails and wire nuts.
Also many units have more than just the fridge on the inverter circut.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #16

The super techs at JAYCO did not wire up the AC power line to the refrigerator properly. In addition to the refrigerator, they had the AC receptacle for the television in the entertainment center as well as the AC receptacle on the countertop next to the stove running through the inverter.

The super techs at the dealer modified the circuits behind the electric fireplace to take the television power and countertop receptacle off of the inverter power to the refrigerator like should have been done at the factory and placed the additional load on a circuit not going through the inverter.

Yours truly,

Jack Huerkamp
Old 07-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHuerkamp View Post
The super techs at JAYCO did not wire up the AC power line to the refrigerator properly. In addition to the refrigerator, they had the AC receptacle for the television in the entertainment center as well as the AC receptacle on the countertop next to the stove running through the inverter.
As I mentioned that is not uncommon. You will find MH's, FW's and other units wired that way, not just JAYCO's. Many have the fridge, TV connected together. If doing that was an issue you would not be the only one with a problem.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #18

In my 2017 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS, basically all the power in our kitchen slide out is wired into the inverter including the residential refrigerator, the plugs behind the TV and the plug by the stove.

If I don't remember to turn off/unplug our TV, sat receiver, sound bar, Keurig and basically anything else that could draw power on that circuit, when I disconnect from shore power, it overloads the inverter and I have to reset the inverter by removing all power from it for a few minutes.

I plan on just upgrading the inverter to at least an 1800w or even a 2000w pure sine wave unit in the near future.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 AM   #19

I have a 2005 jayco jay feather my inverter started going out we replaced it but now the refrigerator and radio dont work is their a reset button for them and where would it be at?
childers123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addrake1 View Post
Yea I have had a similar problem just recently,but my Camper has been sitting still. The wife and I are living in our 327CKTS while our new home is built. My frig would just cut off and I would check breakers fuses gfci to no avail.after about a week I got my meter out to check the inverter and found a loose wire. Hate it happened to you but I no longer feel like a lone wolf. At least if jayco knows there should be a bulletin to all dealers so when you ask about this problem they could tell you.
I had the same problem. Refrigerator and outlet near cooktop quit working. Wire came loose on Xantrex Invertor. I had a difficult time resetting the wire. I'm not sure the wire is completely reset but the outlets are working now.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote