Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Use Chocks a Majority of Time ?
No, I unhook tt on level ground 3 8.57%
Yes, I wedge a device behind/in front of one or more tires 12 34.29%
Yes, I wedge a device between my tires 9 25.71%
Yes, I do both - wedge device behind/in front of as well as between tires 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Here was a guy camping at a car race last fall. No chocks, but he definitely had his anchor out. The slack in the anchor line would bother me a bit but......Worked for him. LOL
LOL, now that's funny! (Actually we might steal the idea and anchor our house down if it doesn't stop raining!)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #22

Always chock your wheels, X-chocks are not meant to hold the TT from rolling.[/QUOTE]

I have seen this said multiple times on this forum and I am not trying to be a wiseguy when I post this. But I have found nothing stating from the manufacturer you can not use the BAL X Chock as a chock. The name itself says "Chock" and I own a set and only use them to chock the camper and greatfully have never had a problem. Did I miss the fine print I cant see how a TT could move if they are properly installed. I would like to know if I missed that information? Like I said earlier, not trying to be funny, want to know if my practices are safe. Thanks again.
lou1216gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #23

I use the Bal-X as well as chock in front and behind on the opposite side of the camper.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #24

BAL chocks and 2X4's for me.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1216gc View Post
Always chock your wheels, X-chocks are not meant to hold the TT from rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1216gc View Post
I have seen this said multiple times on this forum and I am not trying to be a wiseguy when I post this. But I have found nothing stating from the manufacturer you can not use the BAL X Chock as a chock. The name itself says "Chock" and I own a set and only use them to chock the camper and greatfully have never had a problem. Did I miss the fine print I cant see how a TT could move if they are properly installed. I would like to know if I missed that information? Like I said earlier, not trying to be funny, want to know if my practices are safe. Thanks again.

Hi Lou, I posted this below a few weeks back. A big mistake if you travel all day in the hot sun and forget the tires heat and swell is to rely solely on the X-chocks as the tires reduce in size while cooling off. We were not on a "level site" when the tt shifted putting lotsa pressure on the stabilizers and tongue (we were lucky, no damage) . The first thing we do now is chock the tires and secondary is install x-chocks with lock for security and reduce tt movement - we set the timer for 30 minutes and to remind us to go back and tighten down the x-chocks . Here's what I shared earlier (what we jokingly refer to as our "bonehead moment") LOL .....

"YUP!!! We arrived really late into a cg after traveling all day. We were tired and although we installed the Bal-X chocks, neither of us put down chalks in front/back of tires. Half an hour later, the tt rolled a little putting a lot of pressure on those poor stabilizers! The tires heated from a full day of desert highway travel had cooled and reduced in size! Mistake we won't make again! And we now are always sure to re-tighten down the Bal-X after an hour or so."

Hope this helps
Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #26

I believe the same thing could of happend Healthi if you had chocked front and back. If tires swelled then shrunk a standard chock in front and back would have done same. I think the best advice is like you said to check X chock and hour or two later when tires have cooled and adjust X chock.

I am just looking for something from BAL X Chock stating that it is strictly for stabilization and not chocking. I still check my x chock every couple of days when I have been camping several days or after heavy rain.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #27

Healthi,
I hope my last post did not come off like a ****. (can i say that ) I appreciate your advice as there is none better then through expierience. I at times can be very technical and like stated before looking for something from X Chock stating its a stabilizer and not a chock. Sorry if message came off rude or ungrateful
Nothing but love for ya buddy
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #28