Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Crossett
Posts: 89
We were at Lake Charles State Park, lakeside site, awning out for sun shade. Power awning, long, nice to sit under. Checked weather prediction for night, calm and mild. About 2 a.m. a loud noise woke me, I got up, looked out the window, saw nothing of note, no winds or rain. Figured a pinecone fell on roof. Next morning took dog out and awning was on ground, one end torn off camper, warped and twisted arms. Was the devil to get down, had to get assist from park staff.
Learned lesson. Repaired by insurance but w $250 deductible.
Always bring awning in now, but sometimes leave it out about 4 feet if raining, to have dry steps. NEVER leave it out farther than that in any windy weather, or during rain of any kind.
__________________
Damon & Becky
Arkansans on the Road!
Jayco 2016 Northpoint 361 REQS
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 654
The mechanical awnings could take stronger winds but were harder to open and close and took more time. These new electric ones are more convenient but are easier to damage with wind. I'm not sure which is a better option.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona City
Posts: 10,197
When wife and I used to go up to the white mountains for 4 months I went on the Wildcat website and followed directions on awning struts. I built them and once we go up for the 4 months the awning came out and never went back in for the 4 months that we were there. We had wind, rain snow and hail, nothing ever happened to our awing. We had a power awing. we may have just go lucky. Other people that did not have the struts had all kinds of problems.
__________________
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
When wife and I used to go up to the white mountains for 4 months I went on the Wildcat website and followed directions on awning struts. I built them and once we go up for the 4 months the awning came out and never went back in for the 4 months that we were there. We had wind, rain snow and hail, nothing ever happened to our awing. We had a power awing. we may have just go lucky. Other people that did not have the struts had all kinds of problems.
I'd like to see that myself.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
MichaelO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sparks
Posts: 3,420
Iíve only camped in my Jayco twice since I got it three weeks ago, but while Iím camping I leave my awning out all the time Iím there. Of course Iím not camping in a open campground when I go, but on a heavily wooded piece of private property. We donít normally get much wind down close to the ground there. My brother and parents leave thereís our all the time while up there and have never had any problems. I can guarantee that if I know were going to have any storms coming through Iíll be rolling that sucker up right away.

My previous trailer, a 1978 prowler, didnít have an awning, but I could tell it at one time had two, one on each side of the trailer.
__________________
2017 Jayco Jayflight 29RKS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Weimador Daisy Mae (Gone, but will always be loved and missed)
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
Iíve only camped in my Jayco twice since I got it three weeks ago, but while Iím camping I leave my awning out all the time Iím there. Of course Iím not camping in a open campground when I go, but on a heavily wooded piece of private property. We donít normally get much wind down close to the ground there. My brother and parents leave thereís our all the time while up there and have never had any problems. I can guarantee that if I know were going to have any storms coming through Iíll be rolling that sucker up right away.

My previous trailer, a 1978 prowler, didnít have an awning, but I could tell it at one time had two, one on each side of the trailer.
If you have an electric one be safe and pull it in if you are not going to be around or going to bed. What would it need to be out for anyway and it's easy enough to roll it up. If it's a mechanical one they can take a bit more if setup correctly but to be safe I'd pull it in if I was leaving the area. Better safe than sorry.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hot Springs
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
When wife and I used to go up to the white mountains for 4 months I went on the Wildcat website and followed directions on awning struts. I built them and once we go up for the 4 months the awning came out and never went back in for the 4 months that we were there. We had wind, rain snow and hail, nothing ever happened to our awing. We had a power awing. we may have just go lucky. Other people that did not have the struts had all kinds of problems.
Can you provide a link to the struts you are talking about? I'd like to see those myself.
__________________
2018 Jayco X23B (traded)
01 Dodge Durango (sold)
18 Ram 2500HD Laramie
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona City
Posts: 10,197
Ok These struts that I made were made about 9-10 years ago. I looked last night and this morning on the Wildcat forum and could not find them. If anybody goes on that forum the struts that I built are made out of a 10 foot piece of 2 inch PVC pipe, and a 10 foot section of 1 1/2 inch pvc. Both cut into 5 foot peices. With end caps fpr the 2 inch pipe and 2 each hitch pins. Hope that it helps. Sorry that I could not be better help.
__________________
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona City
Posts: 10,197
Ok just went on Jayco and this is what I found. Almost the same. post was 09-07-2014
__________________
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 491
Here's a working link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...own-22265.html

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona City
Posts: 10,197
Thank you very much.
__________________
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
The mechanical awnings could take stronger winds but were harder to open and close and took more time. These new electric ones are more convenient but are easier to damage with wind. I'm not sure which is a better option.
Given what I've read and seen for myself with the failure rates of the electric awnings, I'll take a mechanical one any day.

That said I'm not sure you can even get a mechanical awning on a new unit.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E (sold)
2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2 Z71 Crew Cab (sold, and dearly missed)
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Given what I've read and seen for myself with the failure rates of the electric awnings, I'll take a mechanical one any day.



That said I'm not sure you can even get a mechanical awning on a new unit.
I would rather have a mechanical one too. I've not been overly impressed by this one but it is easy to roll out and back.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Thanks for the link but I don't think I'll make a set. More junk to carry and still have to strap it to the ground. I guess you could just peg them to the ground and omit the straps. I've seen them just tied to the ground without the supports and they seem to work fine.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 161
We got our first trailer with an awning (195RB) a little over a year ago and only deployed it once. We are pretty much always away hiking or whatever during the days. Tried to put it out once during dinner, and by that time the sun was too low for it to do any good.

I did wish I had it several years ago while camping at Chaco Canyon. It was so hot (well into the 90s+), we hiked from sunrise to around 11, then after 6 until sundown. No hookups, so no AC, and everyone was looking for any available shade mid-day. An awning would have been nice (or even a breath of wind).

Our awning was also a biggest warranty claim, as it just didn't work about 2 weeks after purchase when I was testing things out before a trip. Dealer was great about taking care of it (bad motor they said).
__________________
2018 Jayco 195RB
2014 Toyota 4Runner
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #36
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 16,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Thanks for the link but I don't think I'll make a set. More junk to carry and still have to strap it to the ground. I guess you could just peg them to the ground and omit the straps. I've seen them just tied to the ground without the supports and they seem to work fine.
Ours gets strapped down to those nail style pegs, as part of setting up....every time. We use a couple of the HF 1" orange ratchet straps. (I think they were on sale for $7 for four of 'em). Loop it over the roller, hook it to itself, and give it about 3 or 4 clicks after it snugs up. No other supports (although it looks like a cool idea!)
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:29 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
mikegray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rehoboth Beach
Posts: 182
ALWAYS roll it in when you leave. Last time out we had a "pop" up wind and rain storm. When it was over, I could see a $300,000 unit with its awing on top of it and a small TT the awing was completely gone. Never can be to safe.
Mike
__________________
Mike
2014 Jayco Flight 26BH
2015 GMC Sierra SLE V8 4x4
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alignment, awning, wind

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.