Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Reverse Polarity "oh crap" moment

OK - I just took my battery off the trickle charger to install it in my Hummingbird for the season. I was distracted and attached the positive and negative cables, had a spark, and an "oh crap" moment. I disconnected then attached them properly. Nothing works in the trailer with battery power, even with the tow vehicle attached. There is a 40 amp reverse polarity fuse which I pulled to look at but it fell down into the space under the control panel. I replaced the fuse.
Still nothing works. Did I miss something Any thoughts?
Swcole99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swcole99 View Post
OK - I just took my battery off the trickle charger to install it in my Hummingbird for the season. I was distracted and attached the positive and negative cables, had a spark, and an "oh crap" moment. I disconnected then attached them properly. Nothing works in the trailer with battery power, even with the tow vehicle attached. There is a 40 amp reverse polarity fuse which I pulled to look at but it fell down into the space under the control panel. I replaced the fuse.

Still nothing works. Did I miss something Any thoughts?

Mine has an in-line fuse next to the battery. I would guess that it would blow as well in reverse polarity.
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #3

Sometimes, there is an inline breaker close to, or even inside, the battery box.. try looking behind, or even under, the box (Hey, nobody said they were going to make it simple).

Failing that, it may be an idea to get a meter, or a lamp-on-a-wire, and start checking for 12v along the line... starting from the battery, and working inwards. If nothing at all is working, then the problem is going to be pretty close to the "beginning".

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

Sorry - nothing near the battery and the wiring disappears up into the protective covering.
Swcole99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Check on the A-frame near where a couple junction boxes are mounted...., there may be an in-line breaker (or blade style fuse) mounted there as well routed from the battery.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

It is unlikely you lost ground, but try hooking a jumper between the negative and the chassis. If you lost ground, you don't have a complete circuit.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #7

Our first TT was a Rockwood Hybrid with WFCO converter/charger. When I replaced the almost 4 year old battery with a new one, the reverse polarity switch blew, but since I didn't actually reverse the polarity, I didn't realize it blew. I had the bathroom vent open and the fan running like we always did and went out for the day.

When we got back to the camper and turned the lights on they were dim. Connected the TT to the tow vehicle to charge the battery to figure out what went wrong. Finally realized the reverse polarity fuse blew.

For us, when the fuse blew the battery did not get charged and the converter did not convert AC to DC. Everything 12v still worked, but it was like we were not on Shore Power. In the HTT, every time I disconnected the battery, it would blow the reverse polarity fuse, very annoying since it I couldn't reliably find 40 amp blade fuses locally.

Our current Bungalow has a WFCO converter. I removed the battery when we left for the season. I'll be interested to see if this converter also blew the reverse polarity fuse when I disconnected the battery. Hopefully the battery will have enough power to open the 2 slides that block access to the converter so I can change the fuse. Then I can replace the converter with a quality one. I'll find out later this week.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #8

Reverse polarity

I just looked in my new 3800 W inverter generator and for some reason it gave me the reverse polarity light on the RV cord. Now it’s running off of battery, and I can’t find the reverse polarity fuse if there is one and it’s going to die now anybody have any help on a 2022 Jayco flight SLX 236th toy hauler reverse polarity situation
Veteran wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran wheels View Post
I just looked in my new 3800 W inverter generator and for some reason it gave me the reverse polarity light on the RV cord. Now it’s running off of battery, and I can’t find the reverse polarity fuse if there is one and it’s going to die now anybody have any help on a 2022 Jayco flight SLX 236th toy hauler reverse polarity situation

If I'm following your post correctly, I'm thinking your issue is different from the OP's problem. His 40A fuse/s blew because of hooking his battery up in reverse. If I understand correctly your issue is the 120VAC generator is giving a reverse polarity code?
Has your generator been used on another load successfully?, Could it be defective?
Are you using an adapter, and if so is it properly wired?
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #10

I hooked my batt up backwards also. IIRC there was more than one reverse polarity fuse on the power panel. I replaced them and the lights worked. The ACs (2) didn’t, nor did the radio. Discovered both thermos had a blown fuse. The radio had an inline fuse hidden behind.
You say “nothing” works, I assume that’s lights, pump, slides, awning. Make sure there’s only 1 fuse. Verify its good (visual inspect & VOM). Check the rest of the fuses. If you know how pull the power box or gain rear access and check for 12v coming in, could also check the reverse fuse for 12v. This will tell you if the batt can deliver to the fuse panel.
If there’s 12v to the panel I’d suspect something in the panel got fried.
Do a little sleuthing and check back with what you find.
Good luck!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:43 PM   #11

I agree with Redhorse.
My unit has TWO reverse polarity fuses - side by side in the panel. I assume one is on the negative line and one on the positive line.

If that isn't it the I agree with all the folks who said - buy a meter and start tracing from the battery back.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #12

Yes it all came from the dealer this way they gave me a little adapter and I just adopted it onto a small dick extension cord and I did it during the day so I didn’t ever notice at the red light initially came on or if it was just when I unplugged it and plugged it into the generator but the generator bro I would hold the load 50% no problem and then all the sudden it would drop everything the whole load we just dropped to zero and so I was going to unhook it and I turned the generator off everything went down right plug it back into the house and I saw that red light. Everything is running correct now except that red light and green light are on on the power cord but it’s going to stay warm I just don’t want to mess it up it’s brand new and I have no way of knowing if it’s running off of the battery or the power cord from the house but the battery has a level hasn’t dropped in hours so I’m going to assume it’s passing electricity to the RV and maybe then tomorrow I can take it to the dealer or at least call them thank you for your response
Veteran wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I agree with Redhorse.
My unit has TWO reverse polarity fuses - side by side in the panel. I assume one is on the negative line and one on the positive line.

If that isn't it the I agree with all the folks who said - buy a meter and start tracing from the battery back.
Not that it matters really but for awareness. The reverse polarity (RP) fuses are on the positive line and in parallel, so if the converter (for example) is a 50a converter then commonly you would see 2x 30A fuses, or sometimes 3x 20A fuses. In any case, the RP fuses would equal a little bit more than the converters output and when they blow, they all will (should) blow.

As mentioned, when a battery is connected in reverse (or some of the cables), there certainly could be other 12v items affected as well, some fused some not, and even if fused certain electronic components could be damaged.

I recommend taking a photo of the battery cable connections prior to removing them, wrap the positive cables with red electrical tape and the neg cables with black tape (or black+ and white- tape however those colors seem to confuse a lot of RV'rs so I suggest red and black). ~CA
Old 11-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #14

Besides the external blade fuse, I noticed on my converter there were a couple glass fuses on the circuit board. You had to remove the converter to see them. I noticed them when I removed my converter to run some other wiring through the area.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:30 PM   #15

Same with me ; two RP fuses
JosephC is offline   Reply With Quote