Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #1

Rips in Roof: suggestions needed

Our neighbors tree tore 4 holes in our '95 Jayco Eagle SL244 roof. I remodeled the interior and love it so much, but the roof has been such a challenge and this made it even worse. Hoping someone out their has some solid ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200628_194530.jpg   IMG_20200627_115105~2.jpg  
ConiOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #2

ETERNABOND tape..
Old 04-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #3

If your neighbor's tree is in their yard, their homeowner policy would cover a repair under their third party claim clause. This wouldn't cost the neighbor a deductible. A phone call starts the claim. An adjuster may or may not be involved. An estimate is a good thing to have in hand so you don't lose any of your money on the repair. If your neighbor resists making this happen, there's always small claims court. Make sure, in any event, you have pictures, witnesses that can attest to the day it happened, and any weather report if weather was an issue. It's actually no different than a roof repair on your home.

If you're describing a tree in a seasonal site, that's the park owner's issue to resolve.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
If your neighbor's tree is in their yard, their homeowner policy would cover a repair under their third party claim clause. This wouldn't cost the neighbor a deductible.
That varies by State. In Ohio if a limb from my tree falls in the neighbors yard he is responsible for the clean up unless he gave me prior written notice of a possible defect.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #5

You are correct, but, actually, that's not 100% since the tree fell on his trailer. Unless he lists the trailer as a second home for tax purposes, it may not be covered by his homeowner policy. As far as separate comprehensive class coverage, we don't know what he has, it wasn't stated.

Under the law, homeowners must inspect trees and ensure their trees are safe. Homeowners can be held liable if they fail to remove a dangerous tree and it causes damages. In real life, healthy trees don't drop healthy branches that do damage unless there's a weather factor to point to. The OP didn't state anything like that so..... If it's able to be shown that negligence caused the issue, all bets are off. Large branch structures without leaves, showing signs of rot and disease will go a long way to proving negligence.

My advice, always call a lawyer, wherever you are before doing anything either one of us has suggested, since that's almost always a free call.

I too am in Ohio and have experience with just this issue. In addition to my own home, I own single family houses for a rental business. In the past 20 years this has been on the table three times. In every case the other party who owned the trees was given a choice of making the call, paying out of pocket or waiting for subrogation. A phone call is free, and if someone has an HO5 or other blanket coverage beyond the usual and customary HO3 policy, it's almost always covered. You won't know until you ask. In the one instance that my carrier chose to subrogate, I was never involved beyond the call I made after the tree owner informed me of their company's decision.

There's usually more than one angle...and always, more than one approach to solving issues that have a statute underlying the 'how to'. Ohio law, actually, allows for the trimming of neighbor trees without notice if they overhang the property line as long as you return the branches to them. I've never done that, but the law allows. Insurance policies and situations are similar in that they aren't all based on the one size fits all.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #6

Eternabond tape. And a chainsaw.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I too am in Ohio and have experience with just this issue.
So was I and I did too. Wind blew numerous large limbs onto my property and my Insurance said it was my responsibility for the clean up and if any damage they would cover it, not the neighbor's insurance. And I agree Ohio has an "air rights" law regarding trimming.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #8

I wouldn't worry with insurance unless there was a lot more damage. I would simply clean the area, eternabond the damage, then clean the entire roof and dicor\eternabond all of the areas of concern. I also would consider re-coating the entire roof soon, but that wouldn't be what I would do first as the immediate repair is what is needed first. ~CA
Old 04-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #9

eternabond for quick fix, keep it dry.

You mention you have had roof issues. If you want to completely fix/restore your roof, I'd look at the rv roof armor
https://rv-armor.com/
or
if you want to do it yourself
https://the-rv-roof-man.square.site/

Both have posts in the forum and fix all roof issues supposedly for life..
Old 04-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #10

From the photo, it looks like your roof may be showing its age. As others have noted, Eternabond tape would be a good choice to make a small repair. I would suggest however looking at the whole roof. The last thing you want is a roof failure causing de-lamination and dry-rot. If the roof fabric is still OK, a roof coating might give you a few more years. A good cleaning and inspection is advised.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #11

4X Eternabond!
Clean the area (mineral spirits), let it dry out a half hour and apply.
It’ll outlast the rest of your TT.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Eternabond tape. And a chainsaw.
X2.
After you get your roof repaired get some Mold Armour with Stain Remover.

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-FG502-Instant-Mold-32-Ounce/dp/B001CSF44G

Do a little online shopping around maybe for a better price.
2 gallons did my entire 44' roof on my Northpoint. I dumped those little bottles into my garden sprayer and applied it to the roof that way. Let it sit about 15min and spray off with a garden hose, THROUGHLY. Don't wear any good clothes because if you get it on them they will be bleached out. You may have to go back and scrub the stubborn spots a little bit, but I doubt it. This stuff works good. You're roof will come out as white as pure driven snow.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #13
CAG

In all honesty, what little I see of that roof makes me think that it is time for a complete new roof. You can patch, and patch for some time but it might be just as well to look at new with that old of a RV and the roof damage I see.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration, roof repairs, stop the leaks