Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #11

Just experienced the same thing today for about 20 miles, all concrete hwy. Tried slowing down and moving lanes but no real difference. My truck and TT and very well balanced so this came as a total surprise. My lower back was very sore after that as I have been recovering from 3 fractured vertebrae. Just 3 days into our west coast vacation so lets hope smooth sailing from here on in.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #12

I think it has to do with the auto paving equipment that is used. They lay a certain length of concrete before moving on, that length may or may not be exactly level with the next "pour", and that continues. It is never exactly level, and the length is shorter than what your truck and RV are and you get a bounce as you go from section to section.

It has always been on concrete and the newer the worse it seems to be. One more reason to take side roads and stay off the major highways. See more and save your fillings !

Old 06-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #13

There used to be a section of I-90 that was old style construction with expansion strips every 50 feet near where I live that would do the same thing to my boat trailer. The road had been cut into individual slabs and each one had sagged at the ends and you got the bumpy harmonic ride. Speed made it worse, but even slowing down didn't eliminate it. Once they rebuilt the road with continuous paving, the problem went away.

I would suggest avoiding that particular road and not making any changes to your set up.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #14

We've had the same experience with this, especially yesterday on a couple of stretches of I-81 in PA. Had an issue in WI last year too, but I don't remember what Interstate we were on at the time. In one case slowing down a bit helped, and in another speeding up, but we couldn't eliminate the bounce altogether.

I've changed the setup a bit since last year, but it really didn't make a difference. When we hit it now, I know it's just a matter of time to get through it
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #15

I had this same experience on concrete roadways. Shook me up so bad my eyesight was still off a day later. Got onto asphalt, no problem!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 AM   #16
Jim

I have experienced the same harmonic issue on a stretch of I-69 between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne in NE Indiana. Happened I was going to Middlebury, Indiana to take a tour of the Jayco factory. Anyway..since then I changed to the Equalizer hitch system and need to replace the shocks on my TV. I am convinced these two changes most likely will not improve the harmonic issue any if at all but the TV needs new shocks regardless. Like others mentioned I just slowed down considerably through those sections. On a side note.. love the equalizer hitch system over my old Reese system and changing to the P2 brake controller.. wow what a difference. BTW, I have not traveled that section of I-69 since making these recent changes.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #17

10 ply tires will help somewhat. Heavier trailers can bounce around because the truck does. It's not the trailer that's the problem. The truck is the culprit and gets the ball rolling on the bounce issue. Change your tires to LT 10 ply and it should reduce bounce but may not eliminate it completely. In my honest opinion, all vehicles that tow more than 2000lbs. should run LT tires. The stronger sidewall reduces wheel-to-road travel. Stronger sidewalls reduce "tire squat" or what some call "pancaking". If you had a P (passenger) tire and a LT (light truck) of the same size and sat on each one, you'd notice the P tire will collapse with weight and the LT tire would hold your weight. That's the difference in the two. Therefore, LT tires reduce bounce and hold the weight better.
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #18

I had some bouncing problems with my old setup. I was also running at max capacity with that setup, so that may have had something to do with it. Anyway, on smooth road, no problems; but when the road got bumpy, I got a few extra bounces than I was comfortable with. So I agree with the others here in thinking it's the truck. And more specifically, the rear end of the truck. That's a lot of weight on the rear of the truck, and the suspension and tires are designed to maximize comfort, so it tends to be a bit softer, allowing for that extra flex that contributes to the "bounce".

I added Roadmaster Active Suspension. It's basically a spring helper on the rear of the truck leaf springs. Hellwig makes something similar for much less money (AAL or Add A Leaf). Air bags or Timbren bump stops offer similar solutions. IMO, you need to stiffen up the rear suspension some. It certainly helped in my situation. It didn't eliminate the bounce, I was still at my maximums, but it did help quite a bit. I would bet that if you put LT tires on the rear, you add some kind of suspension "helper" to stiffen up the rear, and replace your shocks, you would be good to go.

Of course, that's a lot to do, so you may be better off slowing down or avoiding that chunk of road if that's the only time you experience this severe of an event.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:12 AM   #19

I'm wondering why Ford would offer passenger tires with a max tow package. My DW has a 2013 Expedition which has a lot in common with an F150, and it came with LTs, as did our 2000, the 2004 I drive and the '97 (I think). I don't remember having to ask for them but may have. You won't solve the crummy highway problem, but IMO you would benefit from beefing up the rear suspension soon and replacing those tires with LT tires when the time comes for new ones.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #20
Jim

Regarding the LT tires: Are some of you recommending putting LT tires on your TV just on the rear or all the way around? I experience the "flattening" effect on the rear. Also need to replace the shocks so that is already on the list to get done. Floating the idea of adding Timbrens but my Ford dealer does not recommend them for my vehicle. The jury seems to be 50/50 on adding these to help level the load. We have made all the adjustments possible with the Equalizer hitch system.

Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote