Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I have GEICO's roadside, but after reading this thread I'm going to read more closely what exactly the coverage entails! I may be switching if it doesn't include the 5er. Now, I will say, when I purchased the roadside, I was told that the 5er is covered. But, now I need to sit down and actually read it.
Here's my update...After reviewing the documents and calling to verify that the documents are correct. I'm sticking with GEICO! I pay a whooping $6.90 every 6 months for 24 hour roadside assistance. This includes towing both the TV and 5er if one or both breakdown. There is no mileage limit, other than to the nearest certified mechanic allowed to preform work on your particular vehicle or a mechanic of my choosing (*within 20 miles*). It also includes the usual tire changes/jump starts/locked out/etc.

So there's my .02 cents on the subject.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Here's my update...After reviewing the documents and calling to verify that the documents are correct. I'm sticking with GEICO! I pay a whooping $6.90 every 6 months for 24 hour roadside assistance. This includes towing both the TV and 5er if one or both breakdown. There is no mileage limit, other than to the nearest certified mechanic allowed to preform work on your particular vehicle or a mechanic of my choosing (*within 20 miles*). It also includes the usual tire changes/jump starts/locked out/etc.

So there's my .02 cents on the subject.
That really sounds like a very good deal. The one thing I always wondered is if you need a tow do you call GEICO or do you have to know (or find) the number of a local tow company, pay them then get reimbursed? If that's the case how would you decide who to call?

I needed a tow from the Idaho/Montana border one time over the 4th of July weekend. I had no cell service and no internet. Had to drive my toad (had a motorhome at the time) 10 miles down the road to get cell service, called CoachNet 800 number and the tow truck showed up at the rest area. They sent 3 more before they finally got one big enough to tow the MH but all I did was the one call to the 800#. All I did was sign the paperwork. If I remember right the bill was something like $1,300. I'd hate to have to wait for that reimbursement check while on the road for 6 months.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Norty1, I realize it a one shot deal, or maybe if I call them up and beg, I might be able to swing a great deal like you have.

I was a customer for 13 years before.

Has anyone out there used a roadside assistance plan, other than what has been mentioned here?
When full timing, I would switch between GoodSam and CoachNet every other year. Kept the "introductory" price going for years like that.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #24

Very clever! I looked at ours and I guess they kind of piled up by me not really paying attention: Have CAA (Canada), Good Sam, and Coach-Net. Could be because we travel in both US and Canada, or because of automatic renewals.

Anyway if something happens I will call them all and see who shows up first, then cancel the others.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
Very clever! I looked at ours and I guess they kind of piled up by me not really paying attention: Have CAA (Canada), Good Sam, and Coach-Net. Could be because we travel in both US and Canada, or because of automatic renewals.

Anyway if something happens I will call them all and see who shows up first, then cancel the others.
Most times it will be the same company they all contract with.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
That really sounds like a very good deal. The one thing I always wondered is if you need a tow do you call GEICO or do you have to know (or find) the number of a local tow company, pay them then get reimbursed? If that's the case how would you decide who to call?

I needed a tow from the Idaho/Montana border one time over the 4th of July weekend. I had no cell service and no internet. Had to drive my toad (had a motorhome at the time) 10 miles down the road to get cell service, called CoachNet 800 number and the tow truck showed up at the rest area. They sent 3 more before they finally got one big enough to tow the MH but all I did was the one call to the 800#. All I did was sign the paperwork. If I remember right the bill was something like $1,300. I'd hate to have to wait for that reimbursement check while on the road for 6 months.
I hate to say it, but wouldn't your scenario apply to any roadside assistance. If you can't contact them, they won't be able to help you??

The only caveat with regards to GEICO, is that you have to have their insurance plan to get the rate on roadside. I will say that I was a long time member of USAA and always thought they were the best and offered the best prices. I grew tired of my premiums continuing to go up, so I decided to shop around. GEICO saved me $500 for a years worth of auto insurance. My lesson learned was that every couple of years I shop around!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #27

I just renewed my Coachnet Service. I have the towable Premier package. I also have AAA but that is just because we have their insurance for everything. We looked at upgrading AAA but it was more expensive and had all kinds of limits on use too. I haven't had to use Coachnet's services yet and I hope I never do.

Since Coachnet is not really discussed on this thread, I will post directly from my benefit plan page:

Coverage for Everyone in the Family
Coverage includes Member, spouse and dependent children ages 24 and under,
for your RV and all other personal vehicles owned, rented, borrowed or leased.

24/7 Support Line
The RV Technical Hotline is available to you 24/7. Our technicians can guide you through many common operational issues you might experience. Call the Roadside Assistance phone number on your member card to be connected to one of our technicians.

Towing
No mileage or dollar amount limits – no out of pocket expense when towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility.

Tires
Changing of your vehicle's flat tire, delivery of a comparable tire for towing of
your vehicle to a repair facility. In the event of a flat tire and you don't have a spare, Coach-Net is ready 24/7 with a network of over 40,000 roadside assistance providers to render aid delivering a comparable tire or towing of your vehicle to a repair facility.

Fuel Delivery
Delivery of gasoline, oil, water, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and brake
fluid to your disabled vehicle.

Unlimited Battery Boost, Lockouts, Mobile Mechanic disbatching

Emergency Trip Interruption
Up to $2,000 reimbursement for automobile rental, food and lodging made
necessary by the disablement of your RV due to a collision more than 100
miles from your home.
kennibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #28

kennibc, your situation is similar to mine. I have AAA auto also.
There RV RSA plan is cheaper but has limitations as you noted.

The Good Sam offer I got expires on 15 Feb. As I still have until 15 April on the Coach-net before it expires, I think I'm going to give them a shot and renew with the basic plan.

Maybe they will offer me a deal when renewal time comes.

In the fine print the GS offer said it was $69.95 if you did automatic yearly renewal, but $74.95 if you didn't. Got to read everything.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #29

Quote:
I hate to say it, but wouldn't your scenario apply to any roadside assistance. If you can't contact them, they won't be able to help you??

The only caveat with regards to GEICO, is that you have to have their insurance plan to get the rate on roadside. I will say that I was a long time member of USAA and always thought they were the best and offered the best prices. I grew tired of my premiums continuing to go up, so I decided to shop around. GEICO saved me $500 for a years worth of auto insurance. My lesson learned was that every couple of years I shop around!

Like I said in my post, "Had to drive my toad (had a motorhome at the time) 10 miles down the road to get cell service, called CoachNet 800 number and the tow truck showed up at the rest area." I was wondering if GEICO provides a 24/7 tow service dispatch number or are you stuck with having to locate a local towing company, pay them yourself and then file for reimbursement?

If you have to find the local tow company, how will you do that? With CoachNet I had one call to a known 800# and they took care of everything else. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the logistics myself on the side of the interstate.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Like I said in my post, "Had to drive my toad (had a motorhome at the time) 10 miles down the road to get cell service, called CoachNet 800 number and the tow truck showed up at the rest area." I was wondering if GEICO provides a 24/7 tow service dispatch number or are you stuck with having to locate a local towing company? If you have to find the local tow company, how will you do that? With CoachNet I had one call to a known 800# and they took care of everything else. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the logistics myself on the side of the interstate.
My bad...I misunderstood. Yes, GEICO has a 24 hr telephone number and they dispatch a tow to your location. No need to find one on your own.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #31

Quote:
My bad...I misunderstood. Yes, GEICO has a 24 hr telephone number and they dispatch a tow to your location. No need to find one on your own.
For $14/year you're in good shape. Wish I could find that. My insurance company does pay for towing but getting it accomplished is all on me. Guess I'll stick with the conventional RV services for now. Having been on the side of the road 1,000s of miles from home with 18 wheelers whizzing past at a million miles per hour 2' to my left, I don't want to wait one extra second if I can help it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #32

We've been AAA customers for years so that's our primary road side plan, but I also have it through progressive insurance, as they insure both my camper and truck. And since our camper is new, we also have the Good Sam roadside for the next 7 months or so. Never used any of them. I plan on going down to 1 roadside assistance plan this year. I'll probably stick with the good sam offering since I don't necessarily want my insurance company involved in every little thing that may happen.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #33

We use the roadside rider on our insurance policy. $15 year, covers both car and trailer, nothing is left in the side of the road.

The insurance company 800 number is available 24/7 and they dispatch through a national 3rd party, don't recall the name. We have used the coverage twice, once while camping in Yosemite on a holiday weekend. It was almost embarrassing, had a flat tire and the spare didn't have enough psi to tie with. Yosemite garage was closed, Wawona gas station compressor was down, and my travel compressor couldn't achieve the psi required for the LT tire. This tow truck driver came from 70 miles away with zero complaint to air up my tire, while there he also properly torqued the lugs. I gave him a $20 thank you, but he didn't expect it and we were both very grateful of each other.

The second time by truck BCM was corrupted in my driveway. I called the insurance 800 again, this time they gave me the option to call a local guy and get reimbursed or they would dispatch. I called a buddy who has a tow company, there in 10 min, paid $50 but was reimbursed within 48 hrs via direct deposit.

Having the option is great. Both time the insurance roadside support stepped up and took care of me.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #34

Timely thread. Going into insurance tomorrow to review house and auto. I will be sure to ask about roadside and RV. The price they gave us was much less than AAA for towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk