Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Roadmaster Active Suspension

Installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension in my F150. WOW! What a difference, even without having towed my trailer! I can't wait to see what it feels like with the trailer attached. But, it is amazing how much more stable normal driving feels. I was getting a little wheel hop before and I always felt a porpoising feeling, along with body roll feeling. I do not any more. Even without the towing part of it, which was my main reason for the purchase, it has made normal, unloaded driving much nicer. I did a little intentional "slalom" and it really stays much more level side to side. Researched quite a bit between going air bag vs RAS, and made this choice. Happy with my choice so far. Will update after towing my Jay Feather 27RL.
Gifted to daughter: 1996 Jayco Eagle Pop-up loaded with memories!
Puckfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

Yes give us an update on how it tows with the RAS. Quite a few members on here have installed them and really like how it stabilized their tow vehicle. On my previous truck I went with Timbrens but that was on a F-250. Good luck with the towing experience, I think you'll like 'em.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #3

I installed the RAS on my 2004 Excursion and immediately noticed the difference. The Excursion suffered from "axle wrap", which came from the rear leafs not being stiff enough. Ford installed softer rear leafs to give the Ex a softer, more car like ride, and upon acceleration the rear axle seemed to sway. I noticed the difference when I exited an expressway at a tight angle, it also improved my tow experience immensely.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Yes give us an update on how it tows with the RAS. Quite a few members on here have installed them and really like how it stabilized their tow vehicle. On my previous truck I went with Timbrens but that was on a F-250. Good luck with the towing experience, I think you'll like 'em.
Thank you! I'll be towing my old one into the dealer and picking up my new trailer next Friday. Can't wait! Now if we could get rid of the snow and get on with spring!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I installed the RAS on my 2004 Excursion and immediately noticed the difference. The Excursion suffered from "axle wrap", which came from the rear leafs not being stiff enough. Ford installed softer rear leafs to give the Ex a softer, more car like ride, and upon acceleration the rear axle seemed to sway. I noticed the difference when I exited an expressway at a tight angle, it also improved my tow experience immensely.
A huge difference in feel making sharper turns, no doubt! Upon acceleration, it feels like a different truck...more grounded.