Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

Roof and ceiling problems from water leak

Have a 2006 27' Jayflight TT and noticed bubbles in the ceiling above the front bedroom. Looked at the roof today and found cracked sealant that has allowed water intrusion. Undid the screws in front and pulled all apart enough to get rubber roof back past first piece of plywood roof decking. It was mostly rotted to the point where I could easily remove it with my hands. Pulled out all of the insulation behind decking to let all dry out. I assume I am now looking down at the top of the inside and unfinished ceiling panel. I stuck a hypodermic needle in some of the bubbles in the ceiling and drew out water. Can anyone tell me how to remove the ceiling panel from this point? I should be able to replace insulation roof plywood and rubber roof without a problem. Not too sure about the inside ceiling panel.
sgrol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #2

http://www.ehow.com/how_7646993_repl...-paneling.html

Replacing RV Ceiling Paneling

Strip the vinyl covering and glue off of the Lauan wood. Continue removing material until you get to bare wood. A sanding disk for a drill makes quick work of this task. If a sanding disk is not available, use sandpaper or a paint scraper instead. If there are places where the Lauan wood is rotted out and must be replaced, cut out the rotted area and replace it with new Lauan wood. Attach the new wood to the old using wood screws and aluminum strips, then continue to step 2.

Measure the panels that require replacing and note all doorways and cabinets. Transfer all unusual cuts to the 1/8 inch Masonite hardboard. Cut the 1/8 inch Masonite hardboard to fit the panel areas.

Join the Masonite hardboard at the seams with covered aluminum strips. This hides the rough edges of the seams and makes an attractive finish. Attach the aluminum strips using screws with decorative caps.

Attach molding to the edges along walls, doors and cabinets. Molding can be glued in place with construction adhesive or screws can be used for a more secure installation.

Vacuum the entire area to remove all sawdust and pieces of vinyl. Stick painter's tape along the edges of the Masonite hardboard where it meets the molding. Paint the molding. Remove the painter's tape after the paint has dried for 15 minutes.

Read more: How to Replace RV Ceiling Paneling | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7646993_repl...#ixzz1LrI56roc
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum sgrol50! Sorry to hear about your issues, but sounds like you are pretty handy and hopefully will get it taken care of.

If you get a chance, come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol50 View Post
snip.......I should be able to replace insulation roof plywood and rubber roof without a problem........snip
During the years 2004 thru mid 2007 Jayco used (not all models) a TPO thermoplastic roofing material that had a fleece (felt) backing. Once moisture makes contact with the fleece material it wicks the moisture all over the wood and holds it there. TPO is a robust material, but the fleece backing has it's drawbacks.

Jayco switched back to the EPDM rubber roofing material that doesn't have the fleece backing.

If you plan to replace the entire roofing material, get the EPDM material.

Check your entire roof for any soft spots, moisture has a way of spreading.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty my roof is the EDPM rubber, didn't see any backing material. Looks like I have lots of work. Think I will pull back more of the outer front skin to see how much water went down the front wall.