Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

Roof Bubble and leaking

I recently found in my master bed room that the ceiling has a bulge and had leaked brown residue down the interior wall. I went straight to the roof to find caulk seams where broken all along the awning side of the trailer and that the roof has a bubble over the master bedroom. I caulked the spots I could see and plan to caulk the entire trailer before I put it away for the winter. Do I need to be concerned with the bubble and how do I fix the bubble/separation so it doesn't get worse or continue to leak? Mold?

I am a newer owner of my 2007 Jayco Jayflight 29bhs so I don't have much experience with these caulk issues. Any feedback or pointers you guys can share with me would be greatly appreciated. I want to protect my investment so we can enjoy it for many years to come.
Mocruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

If you have a bulge in the roof, its been leaking for a while. If you have brown residue, its likely rotten wood fibers. I would encourage you to either take on the task of investigating/repair damage yourself or else take it to a dealer. Once that wood is wet and rotting, it will continue. Ignoring the problem or trying to patch/caulk over it will just allow the problem to fester.

I believe that Jayco recommends inspecting the caulk joints either every 3 or 6 months. Realistically most owners don't do that. My suggestion to you is to get the damage fixed and use Eternabond tape in lieu of caulk on the roof. Eternabond tape, when applied correctly, has something like a 20 year warranty. You won't get any leaks from the Eternabond tape.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

If you have a way to put under cover you can fix it. Their may be some rot but nothing that would cause a major problem. You need to slice it open maybe in a Y or X pattern. Let it dry out good, maybe using a hair dryer. Patch any found rotten wood. Get marine sealant, it's white, Home Depot or other. Seal it up all good and gluing the roof pieces back down. Order from web/eBay or purchase a roof patch kit from dealer. Follow instructions on the kit. Make sure to reseal all your seams. I use the marine sealant as I've found it works the best. I even use it to patch small rips-tears in roof from tree limbs. Good luck.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote