Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #1

Roof Exposure Concern

I just picked up a 2017 Jay Flight 29BHDS. Roof is a Diflex TPO, don't know thickness. Roof looks good, light dirt, as was cleaned last year by previous owner. Sealing looks good around all openings and front/back.
One of my biggest worries it the roof leaking, I mean I worry about it all the time while sitting up at my property when it's pouring rain. I plan to cover it when not in use for long period of not being used and during winter storage. I Know the key is to inspect regularly and repair seal around opening if needed and clean several times a year.
But, do I need to worry about keeping the cover on it when I will likely use it every couple weekend at my recreational property, which is where I will store it.
Thanks
Nail Biter
Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #2

Personally I would not cover it, if you are going to be using it frequently.

You are on the right path with regular inspections. I would recommend purchasing a few rolls of Eternabond and apply it. You can go right over the caulking, but sometimes it is hard to get it to lay nicely. Some people will remove the caulking first.

Key element with Eternabond, do NOT stretch it when you apply it, or it will release a few days later.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #3

I bought a cover for one of my first campers. And putting it on and off caused damage, flapping where I didn't tie it correctly scraped the side paint. And mice used it as a highway to new quarters.

Now I have a 2017 that I leave out year round. But I do have squares of mylar faced bubble duct wrap in windows and vents to keep out the sun and prevent fading. Helps with heating in cold weather camping and reflects sun heat so AC does not have run as often.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman1961 View Post
I just picked up a 2017 Jay Flight 29BHDS. Roof is a Diflex TPO, don't know thickness. Roof looks good, light dirt, as was cleaned last year by previous owner. Sealing looks good around all openings and front/back.
One of my biggest worries it the roof leaking, I mean I worry about it all the time while sitting up at my property when it's pouring rain. I plan to cover it when not in use for long period of not being used and during winter storage. I Know the key is to inspect regularly and repair seal around opening if needed and clean several times a year.
But, do I need to worry about keeping the cover on it when I will likely use it every couple weekend at my recreational property, which is where I will store it.
Thanks
Nail Biter
Dean
Sounds like you are going to be at your property frequently, plus store it there?
Possibly you could erect a pole type structure to park it under? I did that for our last trailer, materials were around $4000 for a 12X32 14' high openings with a metal roof. I'm sure prices have changed, I built this in 2001, since sold the property. This wasn't an enclosed pole building, the sided and ends were open.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #5

Jagiven - Thanks for advise. So with the Eternabond, I thought that was for flat surfaces? I have seen some RV's where the sealant is almost completely flat, but mine is not that way. Which I wonder why. Previous own said he has never done anything to sealant.
The flat stuff looks really clean and nice.
But would this Eternabond be good for mine? and would it be able to be removed if needed without damaging the membrane?
Thanks
Dean
Old 03-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #6

RogerR - Thank you for advise. One thing about my TT is the windows are all tinted and while it lets light in, you can't see in from out side. So, I may not have to worry about sun damage, except on vents and skylight. i'll get some of the stuff you mentioned. You don't even cover it in the winter?
Dean
Old 03-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #7

Yooper906 - Yes, I would like a full time cover and may build one next year, but I have other projects this year. But I had one on my last RV, which was a reinforced metal framed unit and it lasted 1 month until we have record snow, collapsed on my RV and totaled it, which is why I just got a new one. I will never get a Metal unit again.
But the price to build the wood one will be twice what you paid. Have to decide if it's worth the investment.
Thank you
Dean
Old 03-31-2022, 04:53 AM   #8

We had a good cover on our now gone Jayco. Wind tore it up after 2 seasons of only winter usage. We had an All Steel RV shed 14’x44’ put up next to our pole barn when we got the Wildwood. Went with the pitch roof and 1 panel on the sides, so 3’ coming down on the sides. Was about $5500 2 years ago. Would not go back to a cover. For what you pay for the RV cheap insurance for 24/7 coverage and no hassle of installing and removing the cover, especially if you plan on keeping the RV a while as we plan on doing. I may add one more panel on the side opposite the barn just to get a little more protection from blowing rain.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman1961 View Post
Jagiven - Thanks for advise. So with the Eternabond, I thought that was for flat surfaces? I have seen some RV's where the sealant is almost completely flat, but mine is not that way. Which I wonder why. Previous own said he has never done anything to sealant.
The flat stuff looks really clean and nice.
But would this Eternabond be good for mine? and would it be able to be removed if needed without damaging the membrane?
Thanks
Dean
I have never heard of anyone needing to remove the eternabond. On their website they do have instructions on how to remove it.

My HTT is coming out off of winter vacation next week. If the weather is good, I'll get up on the roof for its inspection and take some photos.

I Eternabonded pretty much everything. I did have to get creative with the stand pipes for the sewer vents. I applied it right over the existing caulking. Because of that I purchased a 50' roll of 6", primarily due to the front cap caulking. Otherwise 4" would have worked. Biggest thing to remember, do NOT stretch it. or it will release.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof exposure