Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

Roof failing or just normal? See Picture

I went up to spring clean my 2017 195rb and saw that every roof join or seam has a line across the roof. I felt it and there is a small rise, maybe 1/8 inch at each joint of the roof plywood. No evedence of nails or staples coming up. All seem about the same.

My warranty runs out in two months and I want to get it in if this is an issue that should be addressed.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3405.jpg  
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

Mine looks exactly the same on my 23 RB except I actually had a couple staples I could feel as well. I reset staples with a soft tap from padded hammer and hope they stay down. Same look on my Mesa Ridge too, I think this is just normal and more evident as our roof gets dirtier.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

I have a 2017 Whitehawk 23MRB and there are also some areas that might be questionable. While the roof appears "normal," i would take it to the Dealer and express concern that the joints where the plywood meet (the roof) are at the extreme, if not out of, standard RV construction methods. 1/8 of an inch, especially in either high heat or extreme cold, could cause deterioration along the edges and create a wear line in the roof. Let the dealer make the determination. If you are really concerned, go to an Independent and ask them if it needs repair first; you will then get an "objective" assessment before you go to the dealer.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I went up to spring clean my 2017 195rb and saw that every roof join or seam has a line across the roof. I felt it and there is a small rise, maybe 1/8 inch at each joint of the roof plywood. No evedence of nails or staples coming up. All seem about the same.

My warranty runs out in two months and I want to get it in if this is an issue that should be addressed.
Looks normal to me. Have the same thing on our 7-month old Jayco Eagle. No two pieces of wood will contract and expand at the same rate due to varying moisture content.

In any case, think about what it would take to access and level these joints. The rubber roof would have to be removed and replaced/reinstalled---huge, very expensive, labor intensive job. Can you imagine all the secondary problems (i.e., big ole can of worms) that could result from such a project? By the time they surfaced you'd probably be way out of warranty. Unless you can prove a serious structural issue or water leak, I'd be surprised if Jayco took any action.

If you're concerned, I'd suggest applying 4" Eternabond across each seam.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #5

Normal. Unless the roof is made with tongue and groove ply, there is no way to have flawless seams. You shouldn't have staples or nails coming up, nor seams over @ 2/8".
rdrector is offline   Reply With Quote