Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

Angry Roof issues continued

Observed roof bubbles late last year.
November 17 2017 post:
Purchased a 2018 Jayco Jay Feather 23BHM in September. I noticed a section of the molding on the slide had either slid down or completely come out. When I got up on a ladder to further inspect I observed bubbles all over the trailer roof. I have owned two previous trailers - one of over 12 years and NEVER EVER had any bubbles on the roof. The other trailers were not Jayco.

I took it to the dealer (Blue Dog RV) and the tech went up on the roof and took pictures. It is worse than I thought !! Coming up on sections all over the roof. I was told by the shop manager this was NOT normal (they sell Jayco brand trailers) and we would be getting a new roof once Jayco was contacted. A few days later shop calls us back and says Jayco claims all of these bubbles are completely normal.

I explained the fact I had owned two trailers prior and have NEVER seen this before. The Jayco Rep kept telling me it was normal and they would "note my file" ..whatever THAT means. He hung up on me twice when I requested to speak with a supervisor. It then took several days for supervisor to contact me and he said the same thing...my file would be noted.

Fast forward to this past weekend (mind you only the the 4th time we have taken trailer out since purchase..)
***** LEAKS like crazy like ***** ALL of the seams I told them did not look right are leaking - so much that we had to put towels down on floor to keep it from pooling on the floor. Closets were soaked etc.

I know from past trailer leak (1st trailer purchase years ago) that WATER + TRAILER = MOLD and WOOD ROT.

Needless to say I am NOT A HAPPY CAMPER at the moment. If Jayco would have listened to my concerns to begin with and had done the right thing and taken care of the roofing issue to begin with I would not be dealing with this NIGHTMARE.

I emptied the trailer COMPLETELY took it back to dealership and told them I would accept nothing but a new trailer in return. I would NEVER EVER recommend a Jayco product at this point. Terrible workmanship - obviously - and will not stand behind product. :mad :
HappyCampers0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

Wow that sucks. You indeed have a lemon. Let us know what happens. Things happen but it’s how they treat you after the sale that matters. My experience with jayco customer support has been great.

Another option is to file a lawsuit in court. Probably going to have to do that anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post

Another option is to file a lawsuit in court. Probably going to have to do that anyway.
I would not say this is an option, would cost more in attorney fees than the TT is worth to take this to court. It will be a process but Jayco will fix it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #4

At this point, from what was written, we don't even know if Jayco was contacted by the dealer. I would call Jayco and see what they had to say. From most on here experiences, including mine, Jayco is very responsive to issues.

Call Jayco with your Vin number. They can tell if they had been contacted regarding that vehicle.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Just a note from the Moderators:

Legal advice is not allowed on this forum. Threads will be quickly shut down if that is the way this thread is directed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers0913 View Post
Observed roof bubbles late last year.
November 17 2017 post:
Purchased a 2018 Jayco Jay Feather 23BHM in September. I noticed a section of the molding on the slide had either slid down or completely come out. When I got up on a ladder to further inspect I observed bubbles all over the trailer roof.
Why wasn't it noted by you or the dealer before you bought it or even took it off the lot? All part of a good PDI in my opinion.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #7

In my opinion, the responsibility to ensure a safe and sound trailer is that of the manufacturer, not the dealer or the purchaser.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #8

It was noted and brought to attention of dealer and Jayco shortly after purchase. I was doing a walk around after bringing it home and getting ready to take out for the first time in late September a few weeks after purchase. I told dealership immediately. Took trailer in - dealer inspected and agreed with my assessment that roof was put on incorrectly when manufactured. Jayco denied new roof replacement request. When I contact Jayco the representative was extremely rude and actually hung up on me TWICE - NOT IMPRESSED. He kept telling me it wouldn't leak as the bubbles etc were a normal part of manufacturing.......I have owned other trailers and NEVER had a roof that looked as poorly manufacturing with bubbles and places which you could push down on roof at least two to three inches. Guess what - I WAS CORRECT the roof leaked like CRAZY in every area of the interior !!!!! Standing water on floor in several places..ridiculous for a BRAND NEW trailer. Now my BIG concern is naturally water intrusion inside the walls, insulation, flooring etc. Which with time will cause black mold as well as dry rot in wood...I know this from previous experience with a leaking trailer - which was fixed by the dealer at the time and about 6 months later had dry rot AND black mold all throughout......NOT covered by dealer at the time...
Old 02-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

Can you show us a picture of this roof?
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #10

I'm having a hard time uploading photos. Any tips
Old 02-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #11

I found the easy way is once you fill in this quick reply area click Go Advanced just below this box, then look for the paperclip on the toolbar, top center, and click on it, it will open another window which you click choose file then pick the photo you want to upload and hit the upload button, you can add more than one picture is you wish
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #12

I too am disappointed in my first Jayco. Just a lot of little things that weren't done right. Most of them I could correct but the workmanship was not what I expected from Jayco. It is a 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #13

I would be curious to know the Jayco reps name you talked to.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #14

I am very sorry. I hope that you receive restitution. Jayco should step up and fully repair your unit. They are not going to replace it, but they should fix all of the trailer's problems.

RVs are junk. I do not know why I am so attached to them - some kind of life-long core attraction that defies logic.

I really hope that Jayco will show that they are a decent company. When we roll the dice on their cruddy products and we get a heap, they should not even hesitate to do right by us.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #15

Bubbles are not normal. I have a 2015 SLX entry level trailer with not a single bubble. My camper has been stored outside for three years with no cover. It gets used quite a bit too in the southern states. I inspect and touch up any suspect spots with self leveling caulk. Never a leak or issue. Jayco’s QC has gone to crap. Not saying others are better but Jayco’s was better 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers0913 View Post
I'm having a hard time uploading photos. Any tips
Only time I've had trouble uploading photos is when the file was too large. If that's the case go here ( http://www.picresize.com/) and resize to 50%. Then try uploading them again. That's all I can think of.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #17

OP, hope your issue gets resolved quickly and satisfactorily for you. I can tell you that I have the complete opposite experience with my dealer and Jayco. I had several things that we noticed over time (lack of support under bathtub, pinched condensate hose on fridge allowed water to leak inside on cabinets, etc). I contacted Jayco and my dealer and had everything resolved within a couple weeks, no cost to us. I was very pleased that Jayco and the dealer stood by their product.

I hope that you find someone at Jayco willing to listen and get it resolved the right way. My guess would be that this would have to go back to Indiana to be repaired correctly. I doubt they will simply give you a new trailer, but I know that they can strip the camper back and thoroughly inspect and replace anything that needs it at the plant.

Good luck, please update this thread with the outcome.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #18

Roof issues

How about an update on what your resolution is to date. Don't leave us hanging.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #19

Which brings me to another question.
Has anyone one this forum had an experience that Jayco had to buy back or replace their unit??
Old 10-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #20

Roof issues continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhse View Post
Which brings me to another question.

Has anyone one this forum had an experience that Jayco had to buy back or replace their unit??

I’ve only been on the forum for 4 years or so and have never heard of that happening. Very few have issues and for the ones who can’t get the dealer to fix something, they can look into having the factory fix it...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote