Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #1

Roof Leak 2013 Jayco 26BH

Ideas anyone--
I have a 2013 Jayco 26BH (about a month warranty left). The water is dripping from interior roof seam (where two sections of the interior roofing meet with molding strip) approx. 2 feet inside from the entry door and middle of the trailer. The seam and leak is forward of the antenna (toward the front of the trailer) and is approx. 4 inches away from where the antenna handle is mounted (toward the rear of the trailer). No water is leaking from the antenna handle. I have examined the roof membrane and cannot find any holes or protrusions. I cannot see and cracks in the sealant around the antenna base.
Could the water be leaking in around the sealant at the antenna base and moving toward where that seam is located?
What other possibilities could there be?
Would Jayco cover this under warranty? I get the feeling they would not.

Thanks in advance
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

It would be my opinion, based on experience with Jayco that they will do their best NOT to cover your unit if they can find any reason to blame it on something else. I would still however make as many pictures as you can and send them to Jayco before contacting your dealer.
I wish you the best.
NewCamperOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Ideas anyone--
I have a 2013 Jayco 26BH (about a month warranty left). The water is dripping from interior roof seam (where two sections of the interior roofing meet with molding strip) approx. 2 feet inside from the entry door and middle of the trailer. The seam and leak is forward of the antenna (toward the front of the trailer) and is approx. 4 inches away from where the antenna handle is mounted (toward the rear of the trailer). No water is leaking from the antenna handle. I have examined the roof membrane and cannot find any holes or protrusions. I cannot see and cracks in the sealant around the antenna base.
Could the water be leaking in around the sealant at the antenna base and moving toward where that seam is located?
What other possibilities could there be?
Would Jayco cover this under warranty? I get the feeling they would not.

Thanks in advance
Take a good look at the base (outside) of the antenna mount. There should be a small black tube sticking horizontally out of the sealant towards the rear. It allows the water trapped in the base to drain out.
Mine leaked about every 3rd rainfall. Had a real time finding the cause. My tube was plugged with sealant causing the water in the base raise up and go down the shaft and into the roof spreading all over inside. Hope this helps you and others.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

If I had a month of warranty left, it would be in to the dealer pronto to document. You are also supposed to reseal everything the first year also. That is one reason I take my unit in to the dealer around the end of the first year and have them go over the unit and do any resealing that might need to be done. That way I can document that everything was done to the unit that was supposed to be done so they cannot deny any warranty due to lack of maintenance on my part.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
If I had a month of warranty left, it would be in to the dealer pronto to document.....snip
X2

Let the dealer confirm what the root cause is, then decide if it's Jayco or consumer responsibility.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #6

We had a similar issue once with our Jayfeather and we couldn't figure out where the water was coming from as the floor was wet but the ceiling didn't seem wet etc. We discovered it was from the antenna where the cable entered this little cap had popped up a bit and the water went thru and didn't leak out at the antenna handle inside but ran down and leaked thru one of our light fixtures further over so that was why the ceiling wasn't wet. My husband silconed the cap down and it never leaked again. On our next trailer we discovered the cap was already silconed down, so maybe something missed at the factory?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Everyone thanks for all your replies. I have been looking into all your options and suggestions.
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

Update: After numerous attempts to find the leak, removing caulk and applying new caulk around the antenna and other area after constantly checking all the caulking and seals I was still unable to find where the water was coming in at. So-I purchased some Eternabond tape, cleaned and applied the tape all along the top of the trailer along both sides and around the antenna area. That was approx. 6 months ago and I have not had a leak since.
CMSgt USAF (Ret)