Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Roof Leak/Mold

My Canadian friends have a 2005 Jay Flight. It is used twice a year for six weeks each time. The rest of time it is in open storage in Murrells Inlet,SC. When they arrived this time there was evidence of a leak in the upper right corner of the bedroom ceiling. Enough of a leak for a bit of water to leak into the light fixture and probably saturate the right half of the ceiling back to the 1st seam. There were ripples and sagging up to that seam. There was mold (something black) on the seam. That indicates to me that there is mold in the insulation also. My friends indicated that it had leaked before in heavy rains. I said all that to ask how to advise them at this point?

They all most have to use the trailer while they are here this time.
The friend sleeps in the B/R and his wife sleeps in the rear on the couch. I gave them some Bleach Tub & Tile cleaner to remove the visible mold. I have advised him to leave the windows and overhead vent cracked at night. Unless he is kidding me he has picked up a slight persistant cough
since they arrived on Monday. I have researched the signs of exposure to toxic mold and that is one of them. He has applied some flex seal to the suspected areas of the roof. Nothing was obvious as to where the intrusion might be. All of the white cosmetic part of the roof is gone and it is down to the black watertight barrier. I did see some spider web looking spots and a couple of minute areas that looked like tire dry rot. Don't think they noticed a musty smell. Will ask them if they have.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Sounds like someone has not maintained the roof seals over the years, it has probably been leaking for some time inside the walls and ceiling and now its showing up inside, the walls and ceiling are probably full of mold and mildew. I would not sleep in it, and for a 2005 model its not worth the money to repair it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

I would put money on easily poking a finger thru the wall or ceiling in that area. Interior panelling will be rotting away, insulation will be wet and holding moisture and most likely the framing will rotted out. I would be concerned about health as well..