Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

Roof questions

3 years ago we purchased a 2008 Jay Feather EXP. After some apparent water damage to the inside front ceiling (see pic), I cleaned and coated the entire roof with Heng's. It seems to have solved the problem but I still notice some standing water on the roof along the front where the roof material/siding interface is. As you can see in pic, there are two large beads of sealant along this border. Can anyone tell me if these beads of sealant are supposed to be there? It seems like they prevent water from running off the front of the roof.Also, as far as the damaged ceiling material, can someone tell me what I would find if I removed it? Insulation? Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020872.jpg   P1020877.jpg  
cswanson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

The beads of sealant are common...., they seal the metal trim edges where it makes contact with the roofing material. In most applications a heavy application of self-leveling caulk would cover the metal trim rail and flow over the edges onto the roofing material.

Also not unusual for standing water on some of the older models because some models like the Jay Feather had very little roof pitch incorporated. This was most notable around the front/rear cap joints, and the A/C.

Removing the interior wall/ceiling panels would expose insulation and framing. In your case you may also find some moisture damage and/or mold.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:29 AM   #3

Thanks Bob. Not sure if it's worth trying to remove the ceiling material or not. It's dry and there's no odor plus I have no idea what/how I would replace it with.
cswanson69 is offline   Reply With Quote