Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #1

Roof wiring for solar, jayflight 245rlsw

I want to bring my wires down the wall over the passthrough so it's as close to the charge controller as possible.
My question is, is there a passage between the roof and the wall or are they sealed from eachother?
If I drill through the roof 3" away from the side can I pass the wire down the wall.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

New plan, drill up through the bedroom cabinet, run it into the wall through there. Put a little trim over it and forget it.
Good? seems like it to me.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #3

Keep it simple!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #4

m2bandit, how did that work for you? I am in the design stage for the solar install on my Jay Flight 248rbsw.

I'm new to RVs, (but good with electricity) and I am trying to learn from others about the best way to run wires in the trailer. Are you installing an inverter? If so, where/how to you run the wires from the inverter to the elect panel?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
m2bandit, how did that work for you? I am in the design stage for the solar install on my Jay Flight 248rbsw.

I'm new to RVs, (but good with electricity) and I am trying to learn from others about the best way to run wires in the trailer. Are you installing an inverter? If so, where/how to you run the wires from the inverter to the elect panel?
I drilled up from the storage ran it up through the cabinets and through the roof. Covered it with some wire cover stuff.
I ran 10 awg 3 wire soow wire from the inverter down under the floor and with the rest of the wiring all the way until the wiring goes up. Then I put a auto transfer switch in and ran it to the panel.
It sucks removing the coroplast if you have it but you'll also get to see all of the crap work they did and fix the problems.
For instance my black tank was missing 3 screws and 2 others weren't in all the way.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

That sounds like a logical approach. I would love to see any photos that you want to share.

I am a little concerned that my upper bed cabinets are tucked into the curved front wall and they end just where the curved front wall meets the "flat" roof. I think the solar wires really should come through the flat section of the roof. Do you have a similar situation?

Thanks!!
Old 02-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
That sounds like a logical approach. I would love to see any photos that you want to share.

I am a little concerned that my upper bed cabinets are tucked into the curved front wall and they end just where the curved front wall meets the "flat" roof. I think the solar wires really should come through the flat section of the roof. Do you have a similar situation?

Thanks!!
Ahh yes... less than ideal isn't it. So is my solution.

By the way I recommend replacing the crap wire it comes with and get welding wire. Mainly for bends like this. The stock wire makes huge bends.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the photo! I was looking at mine and thinking: "Dang, how did he get that through without coming out the front of the cabinet?" Now I know that I am not crazy. I might post a new question to the broader forum asking if anyone has any other ideas....
Old 02-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #9

I was thinking about this route (see photo). Drop into the cabinet above the pullout couch; install a wire chase that drops down below the couch, above the top of the furnace and into the basement. I could use the same chase to run the wires for the inverter control and battery monitor. I am interested any thoughts you might have about this.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
I was thinking about this route (see photo). Drop into the cabinet above the pullout couch; install a wire chase that drops down below the couch, above the top of the furnace and into the basement. I could use the same chase to run the wires for the inverter control and battery monitor. I am interested any thoughts you might have about this.

I can't really tell where that is our models are a bit different.
Just try to keep your wires as short as possible. Most importantly 12v.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks!!
I installed solar on my 27RLS and ran the wires from the roof into the street side wardrobe closet the down through the nightstand to the pass through storage directly below, ended up being a short run of 12 feet with 6AWG welding cable to my controller. I covered the wires in the wardrobe with a split wire loom and covered the exposed wires between the wardrobe and the nightstand with angled wiremold. See pics in this album https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1689.html
In the picture showing the wires coming through the roof the curved section of the front of the trailer is the brown surface, you can see I ran them just behind the trim between the curved and flat roof joint on the flat portion of the roof.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
I installed solar on my 27RLS and ran the wires from the roof into the street side wardrobe closet the down through the nightstand to the pass through storage directly below, ended up being a short run of 12 feet with 6AWG welding cable to my controller. I covered the wires in the wardrobe with a split wire loom and covered the exposed wires between the wardrobe and the nightstand with angled wiremold. See pics in this album https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1689.html
In the picture showing the wires coming through the roof the curved section of the front of the trailer is the brown surface, you can see I ran them just behind the trim between the curved and flat roof joint on the flat portion of the roof.
What kind of tape did you use on the roof wires?
Old 02-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #13

Wouldn’t it be possible to run the wires down the channel for the awning from the roof and drill a hole inside the channel into the pass through? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
What kind of tape did you use on the roof wires?
Those are 4"x4" squares of Eternabond Tape.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Wouldn’t it be possible to run the wires down the channel for the awning from the roof and drill a hole inside the channel into the pass through? Jay
Our awning doesn't go over the passthrough.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the photo! I was looking at mine and thinking: "Dang, how did he get that through without coming out the front of the cabinet?" Now I know that I am not crazy. I might post a new question to the broader forum asking if anyone has any other ideas....
I had the same issue where the wires were going to come in right in front of the face of the cabinet because of the curved front cap. I went inside the cabinet and started my drilling at about a 20 degree angle right where the front of the cabinet trim met the cabinet door. The hole at that angle easily misses the front cap when it comes out the roof and kept everything hidden in the cabinet. Then I ran the wires like your picture suggested out the bottom of the cabinet base and into the storage below. Tucked into that corner space like your arrows were showing and covered with a black wire loom. Super clean install that you won’t see unless it’s pointed out.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
....I went inside the cabinet and started my drilling at about a 20 degree angle right where the front of the cabinet trim met the cabinet door. The hole at that angle easily misses the front cap when it comes out the roof and kept everything hidden in the cabinet. ...... Super clean install that you won’t see unless it’s pointed out.
I would love to see any photos of your install if its handy. I was wondering about the approach you took, but haven't gotten around to doing any detailed measurements/estimates.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
I would love to see any photos of your install if its handy. I was wondering about the approach you took, but haven't gotten around to doing any detailed measurements/estimates.
I’ll run out there in just a bit and give you some pictures
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Old 03-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #19

If I could do it again I’d run my wires longer so they were more hidden where they entered the closet but I’d cut them before I realized it wasn’t still tucked into the corner. Other than that it’s nice and tidy and with the closet door shut no one knows my error. The controller flush mounted to the side of the closet allows me to run the wires to it hidden. The wires then leave the controller and exits the bottom of the closet in the back corner and into the pass through into a junction box. Then the wires go to the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
8DC51C34-F25A-4D4F-89B7-C0C825E15D82.jpg   E139245E-6E7E-4475-80B5-813D1918647D.jpg   1C6ED345-2134-453F-8BB6-7A805313C4E4.jpg   1A98E7A2-F913-4FF1-A870-1F0D30554BFE.jpg   C0A207B5-DA42-403F-840B-073C52382555.jpg  

Old 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #20

Thanks for the pics and sharing lessons learned!!